Quick Question Regarding Closed Threads.

Bodyboarder

Evening Fishraider,

Firstly, I realise this isnt a fishing report so feel free to move it to the appropriate area but please dont close it.

I've just noticed lately that any thread that has even the slightest amount of contraversy involved is closed as soon as being viewed by a mod. I understand this is a family site but I feel it is important that the contraversial issues are discussed for the knowledge of those that may not understand the rules and regulations that apply to fishing and the waterways in general.

Everybody has the right to their say so maybe instead of just shutting everyone down for having their's maybe it'd be a better idea to create a new section of the forum for these matters. That way people can choose whether or not they want to view the content and get involved.

If the thread turns into petty name calling and fighting then I agree to close it then but from what I see the majority of the members on here are mature and fair, well, the ones that post anyway.

Tight lines. :1fishing1:

Evening Fishraider,

Firstly, I realise this isnt a fishing report so feel free to move it to the appropriate area but please dont close it.

I've just noticed lately that any thread that has even the slightest amount of contraversy involved is closed as soon as being viewed by a mod. I understand this is a family site but I feel it is important that the contraversial issues are discussed for the knowledge of those that may not understand the rules and regulations that apply to fishing and the waterways in general.

Everybody has the right to their say so maybe instead of just shutting everyone down for having their's maybe it'd be a better idea to create a new section of the forum for these matters. That way people can choose whether or not they want to view the content and get involved.

If the thread turns into petty name calling and fighting then I agree to close it then but from what I see the majority of the members on here are mature and fair, well, the ones that post anyway.

Thanks for the question on this issue Bodyboarder.

If you want contraversy ?? come and try being a moderator or Administrator :tease:

We have plenty to go around and do not need any more in the forums.

Fishraider is a heavily moderated site because of our hard working team.

If it is deamed necessary to close a thread or remove it then we do it and sometimes it maybe someone trying to get a flame war going which is definately what is not needed on our Site.

If you need more contraversy,then there are plenty of other Sites that will give it to you in spades.

If you like up to date fishing and boating information ??? this is the place to be and thats the way we run this Site and have done since we took it over more than 3yrs ago.

If you have a particular question and it is not answered on the forums,you can direct any queries to any of the Mods or Admin and we will be only too happy to assist you.

Regards Admin

G'day Bodyboarder,

A fair question. The moderators are open to all views as long as they don't offend, are intelligent and don't breach site rules. I personally like to see members posting opinions about controversial subjects.

BUT

I've personally closed quite a few for a couple of common reasons.

Firstly, this is a fishing site and while there are forums for non fishing topics, extending discussions to highly controversial topics from religion, politics, law and so on is just not needed, does nothing for the site and creates trouble. There are lots of places people can appropriately discuss those kinds of topics. Fishraider isn't one of them.

Another common reason I've closed threads is because the same topics come up regularly, the discussion follows the same pattern, and inevitably someone says something stupid. A good example of this is every time someone posts a pic of a flathead over 70cm that wasn't released. Sometimes threads like this are closed sooner rather than later to prevent discussion esclating to argument and even more ugly stuff.

Sadly, the last reason it often happens is that someone lets their mouth loose without their brain and says something stupid or offensive. Most members never see those posts because they get deleted and the thread either closed or deleted too. Moderators are on the site more regularly than most members so often see these first... you'll probably just see the closed thread.

If ever there is a controversial topic that you'd like to raise, feel free to ask a moderator. This way, at least we know to keep a close eye on it and can control it carefully, or advise against posting it if we feel it's not suitable.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Bodyboarder,

A fair question. The moderators are open to all views as long as they don't offend, are intelligent and don't breach site rules. I personally like to see members posting opinions about controversial subjects.

BUT

I've personally closed quite a few for a couple of common reasons.

Firstly, this is a fishing site and while there are forums for non fishing topics, extending discussions to highly controversial topics from religion, politics, law and so on is just not needed, does nothing for the site and creates trouble. There are lots of places people can appropriately discuss those kinds of topics. Fishraider isn't one of them.

Another common reason I've closed threads is because the same topics come up regularly, the discussion follows the same pattern, and inevitably someone says something stupid. A good example of this is every time someone posts a pic of a flathead over 70cm that wasn't released. Sometimes threads like this are closed sooner rather than later to prevent discussion esclating to argument and even more ugly stuff.

Sadly, the last reason it often happens is that someone lets their mouth loose without their brain and says something stupid or offensive. Most members never see those posts because they get deleted and the thread either closed or deleted too. Moderators are on the site more regularly than most members so often see these first... you'll probably just see the closed thread.

If ever there is a controversial topic that you'd like to raise, feel free to ask a moderator. This way, at least we know to keep a close eye on it and can control it carefully, or advise against posting it if we feel it's not suitable.

Cheers, Slinky

I agree with freedom of speech especially in cyber land, it's healthy but to many times it gets off topic of the original post and ends up and personal attack on someone. I did a post a while back venting on a certain topic that angored me, a few sly replies, a "i'm watching this thread closely" from a moderator which made me giggle as this mod saw both sides and hopefully seen that a healthy debate could come out of it.

But what offends me mods and admin is "spot X", gotta be a pet hate, can we put it in the rules of the site that this "spot x" is banished from FR ? haha

Cheers,

Leo

But what offends me mods and admin is "spot X", gotta be a pet hate, can we put it in the rules of the site that this "spot x" is banished from FR ? haha

Cheers,

Leo

:biggrin2:

G'day Leo,

I'm guilty of using the phrase myself :(

Most members use it in fun... some to keep their best spots secret while still being able to post reports. I think everyone is entitled to make up their own mind about whether or not to reveal their spots. Admin and the Mods team will draw the line at people posting pics with backgrounds cut out and so on because it just looks ugly. We'll also ping people who try to be smart alecs about it.

I'd encourage all members to be as generous with information as possible. I keep a few isolated GPS marks close to my chest... I don't make a thing of it in posts... and with general areas, spots that are public knowledge, big locations and so on, I'll always happily tell people where and how. The more help everyone can give other members, the better.

Just for the record, Spot X is at S27.54.050 E153.44.640 ...16.36nm off the Gold Coast seaway. And yes, that's it's official published name :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

Evening Fishraider,

Firstly the answer to your question is clearly available for all members in Site News and Info http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=26277 this explains the complaint mechanism.

As a member who only joined us in Jan this year with 23 posts under your belt you have not been part of our community for very long at all.

The forum is privately owned. It is not a public free for all and we have strict rules. It is moderated heavily and we have laws to comply with etc. We have a duty to act on members complaints.

You stated "from what I see". This is a very important issue because it is only the admin and moderator that "sees" all. Whole threads and individual posts are removed before members see them at all. There is much history regarding some posts and threads and that info is only available to admin or mods.

By definition controversy is about argument, disputation, quarrelling, fighting or striving against. Why on earth would we want a specific forum devoted to that????? Flaming and fighting does not lead to education in any way, shape or form. The education is provided here both online and offline via the links to statutory bodies and posts and the many days and evening sessions that we provide and organise for our members.

Perhaps I should post up the many pm's we get about posts and members behaviour. The issues we deal with range from discrimination to family and friend infighting. There are people that are unscrupulous and attempt to use online forums to bring down businesses and persons and we get tipoffs. We get pm's about all sort of things and we act on them.

It is "our house" and we invite people to join us in a place that they feel comfortable to post and exchange information and help others. We do not make anyone stay and if the way this forum is run is not to a person's liking then they can move on to another forum that is more suited to their needs.

Finally bodyboarder, if you would like to take this issue offline then feel free to email to fishraider@iinet.net.au with any further concerns. We can call you directly to discuss if needed.

Looking forward to reading your fishing posts. This post is now closed :adminpower:

mrsswordfisherman

Site Owner