Replacing Floor On Runabout

nsaykali

Hi everyone, was just after some advice, the floot on my stacer Baymaster runabout is starting to feel very soft. it is marine ply with Marine carpet attached.

i was thinking of getting new ply and screwing in some checker plate, makes it easier to clean and wash after fishing.

the boat is pretty dry when it comes to fishing, but i was just wondering if anyone has done this before or is it better to just use some heavy duty marine carpet.

i like to clean the carpet after every use, dont like the boat stinking like fish!

thanks in advance!

gday mate,

sounds like a good idea to pimp the stacer, only problem with checkerplate is that it will be extremely hot to walk on in summer and the glare would be unbearable. if you have a jigsaw and fabric scissors it would be easy enough to copy and replace your old floor since you already have the templates done for you(the old flooring). get some contact adhesive from bunnings or the like, or go to a local shopfitter/joinery/cabinet making/kitchen business and get some industrial grade contact adhesive......its better to use. make sure to apply to both the ply and carpet and allow sufficient time for glue to "tack off" ie when you touch the glue it shouldnt stick to your fingers, then press down and roll the carpet.

just my two cents worth

take it easy

mick

Edited by mii11x

Hi everyone, was just after some advice, the floot on my stacer Baymaster runabout is starting to feel very soft. it is marine ply with Marine carpet attached.

i was thinking of getting new ply and screwing in some checker plate, makes it easier to clean and wash after fishing.

the boat is pretty dry when it comes to fishing, but i was just wondering if anyone has done this before or is it better to just use some heavy duty marine carpet.

i like to clean the carpet after every use, dont like the boat stinking like fish!

thanks in advance!

I think a lot of the later boats used construction ply not marine ply. still water proof/resistant as they used waterproof glue just not as well sealed in the layers, someone here will know more about it.

I replaced my hatch with CP and sealed both sides with polyurethane before carpeting, came up well.

You can get that plastic like checker plate they use on cars, they may not get hot, don't know if it is water proof.

Marine ply has the same glue line as premium CP,it's just supposed to have selected laminates with minimal voids-and you have to choose carefully because there is a lot of crap marine around.In the case of a floor this isn't a problem as it would be with a hull say,so I'd use good CP.What lets all ply down in these situations is lack of protection from water penetration-and the builders would know this.I'd get a hold of some boatbuilding epoxy like Boatcote or WEST System and once your floor is cut to size give the whole thing 2 good coats,especially on the endgrain.That's how modern timber boats are encapsulated before painting/varnishing,and they can last indefinitely as long as damage is repaired promptly.You do have to protect bare epoxy from UV which degrades it pretty quickly,that's where carpet/paint comes in.HTH.

Cheers,

Dave.

This link will help:

http://www.westsystem.com.au/west_system/basic_techniques

Dave.