Pittwater & Hawkesbury

LGF

Hey fellow Raiders,

Quick question for fellow raiders, Anyone have any luck around the Pittwater, Lion Island, Flint and steel Areas?

Me, my GF, Bro and a mate set off on Sat to catch 'High Tide' but all we managed to hook was a good sized 'Port jackson' and some itty bitty baby snapper and bream! We had every possible bait on deck and was burleying and using the finder (but not really understanding the thing thou) :1prop:

Anyone care to share some tips?

Im starting to think that we are just the unluckest fisher-people alive! lol

Trust me, you are not the only one not getting anything around there.

Its been weeks since I have had any success of note. The water is still very cold in Pittwater..16 degress on saturday. All I got at Flint and steel last week was Rock cod.

Keep at it, its gotta get better for us.

Dave

Trust me, you are not the only one not getting anything around there.

Its been weeks since I have had any success of note. The water is still very cold in Pittwater..16 degress on saturday. All I got at Flint and steel last week was Rock cod.

Keep at it, its gotta get better for us.

Dave

I would have settled for a Rock cod. I was out on Saturday and all I got was a couple of catfish! :thumbdown:

Mysterythecat

Hey fellow Raiders,

Quick question for fellow raiders, Anyone have any luck around the Pittwater, Lion Island, Flint and steel Areas?

Me, my GF, Bro and a mate set off on Sat to catch 'High Tide' but all we managed to hook was a good sized 'Port jackson' and some itty bitty baby snapper and bream! We had every possible bait on deck and was burleying and using the finder (but not really understanding the thing thou) :1prop:

Anyone care to share some tips?

Im starting to think that we are just the unluckest fisher-people alive! lol

You wucky wucky bastard, (monty python) Ive had the last 5 trips into pittwater for nothing :mad3: But I dont care, at some stage of the game Im gonna catch me a good feed and a great fish I can brag about. Keep goin' mate, times are a changin' Bring on summer!!

Nah mate its fairly slow in pittwater at the moment. The off good fish but its extremly hard to find where they are at. I think its the water, was a little on the cold side on the weekend. But a good report on that kingie caught on saturday give us all hope :1prop:

Keep at it mate, keep trying and im sure it will pay off for you. I wish this wind will die down get under 10 kts.

Cheers YG :1fishing1:

Nah mate its fairly slow in pittwater at the moment. The off good fish but its extremly hard to find where they are at. I think its the water, was a little on the cold side on the weekend. But a good report on that kingie caught on saturday give us all hope :1prop:

Keep at it mate, keep trying and im sure it will pay off for you. I wish this wind will die down get under 10 kts.

Cheers YG :1fishing1:

haha i thought my report would give you all some hope

I've also have had a few weeks of nothing of value at lower reaches of Pittwater. Just some "kelpfish" noted in my fish book as "small of size and poor of taste" - but this weekend I did pick up a few whiting on the sand flats around the corner from the basin, and also had a garfish bite and hold onto the bait until just out of grabbing distance.

Using nippers as bait - and had no bites at all on anything else. The Whiting were only biting on rising tide, and shut down completely at high tide.

Mostly undersized, but got 2 just on legal.

The water was painfully cold first thing in the morning, but warmed up to 20+ degrees in the sun in the afternoon.

They are looking to get the pro's out of the system soon....so hopefully fishing will pick up in the next few years... Just like it has in the Bay and the Harbor.

Where did you obtain this information?

I would so love for this to happen but i doubt it

Guys, fished everywhere from Jerusalem, America, Refuge, Smiths and out to Patonga & Flint & Steel on Sunday for 1 u/s bream & 1 barely legal flatty - using fresh squid, pillies, prawns, fresh mullett fillets and a bit of a go with softies, Nuthin', zip, nada!!!

WOFTAM day !!!

Cheers, Tuffy.

I was talking to a guy down at the boat ramp who was doing a survey.. he was also involved in making a lot of the port stephens area marine parks, and also moving the pro's out of botany bay.. He seemed very confident that this time next year the pro's would be either very restricted, or moved out all together.

You have to understand that all the trawlers from Sydney harbour have moved to pittwater and the hawkesbury....it puts alot of extra strain on the system..

We were asked in the survey to rate the hawkesbury...unfortunately we couldn't rate it in the minus's.. We basically use the system as a driveway to get out to the pacific..

you were speaking to Jewfish Bob, he has been doing those surveys for a number of years now.

He use to be a pro fisho himself.

I truly believe the work he is doing will not benefit fishos in anyway. It may benefit fish though when they turn the majority of the hawkesbury into a marine park.

Money talks and these pros will be going no where with out huge buy outs.

here is a response i got fromthe DPI regarding the hawkesbury river

I have forwarded your email to the relevant parts of the Department, I am still waiting for a response on the second part of your question - ie "I would appreciate a response regarding your stance on the water quality of the river regarding sewer run off and the actual affects." but in response to the first question (I would appreciate a response regarding the future possibility of a commercial fishing ban in the Hawkesbury river ) this response has been forwarded to me from Recreational Fisheries branch.

Thirty Recreational Fishing Havens (RFH) were created along the NSW coastline in 2002, following extensive public consultation and the buy out of commercial fishing businesses to offset the reduction in the available fishing grounds. However, there are no current plans to establish new recreational fishing havens in the Hawkesbury River.

I can advise that a detailed environmental assessment was prepared for the Estuary General Fishery (including the Hawkesbury River) in accordance with NSW and Commonwealth law. The resultant Fishery Management Strategy specifies the overall goals and the operational rules for the fishery. The fishery is primarily managed through limiting the level of commercial fishing effort by controlling commercial fishing gear, as well as operational times and areas. The strategy contains a range of performance indicators and trigger points designed to alert I&I NSW to any undesirable changes in the fishery. A copy of the strategy is available on the I&I website.

I will continue to chase up some information regarding your other question.

gday mate,

Three weeks ago we got some nice flatties near the railbridge. Three caught on pillies and one on a soft plastic. We also lost a decent one at the boat that was on a plastic. All of them were caught in relatively shallow water.

Also had a great day in Brisbane waters the other day (refer to my post from yesterday).

Good luck!