Sydney Harbour Sunday 13/9/09

fisherman1994

Hi guys,

Myself and YoungGun headed out from Tunks Park at about 6am on Sunday morning in search of kings or the salmon that have been schooling round the heads of late.

We got to balmoral at about twenty past six and started burlying, although after a solid 30mins of burlying and fishing we could not raise the school of yakkas, so now without fresh bait we decided to press on.

Trolled some hardbodys and threw a few plastics at the channel markers for donuts and then decided to fish out of the wind, in the shelter of North Head. There were dozens of boats in there nestled out of the wind although nobody seemed to be catching much.

We managed to raise a school of yakkas there although they were absolute giants. The biggest we got measured 37cm, (if only i had taken a photo i would have had the fishraider record for yakka on bait!) so wayy to big for livies size. Those yakkas were the only real action we had all day, the salmon were being very finicky and wouldnt take any of the lures we threw at them, oh well thats fishing :1badmood:

The kings were just non-existent.

Anyway im not too worried it was great spending the day out on the water and having a laugh with your mates, that's what fishing's really all about :thumbup::thumbup:

Did anybody else get anything on sunday?

Cheers,

JB :1fishing1:

Nope, had live slimies, herring and yakkas in the boat. Trolled south head for zip, in desperation driffed for many undersized lizzards, water cold and green and yuk. Gave up, went home.

Southerly,

Can you let me know where you got those slimies?

A month or so ago I found them around CG. But havent seen them since.

Cheers,

Jeff

We managed to raise a school of yakkas there although they were absolute giants. The biggest we got measured 37cm, (if only i had taken a photo i would have had the fishraider record for yakka on bait!) so wayy to big for livies size.

I'd disagree about the yakkas at that size being too big. Throw one out next time, you might be pleasantly suprised.

If you didn't have any other livebaits to use and you had the gear to put him on, it wouldn't have hurt to send out a big bopper. There is always the outside chance of a big fella cruising around. You may even be in with a shot at a big squid or cuttly sitting under that school that might take a fancy to the big bait.

The big Yakkas are not yakkas, they are Jack Mackerals.

The yellowtail scad (the small yakka's which grow to a max 30cm) is the only member of the monotypic genus Atule, one of THIRTY genera in the jack and horse mackerel family Carangidae. which include fish like dart, trevally's, queenfish, and amberjacks.

2 common horse mackerel that frequent our shores are the yellowtail horse mackerel (grows up to 50cm) and the greenback horse mackerel. (which can grow to 80cm).

I think you would find jack mackerel more on the eastern side of the pacific along the coast from california to alaska.

yeah mate as young gun said, we did have two nice sized livies out and got nothing on them, the dozens of boats around us all had livies out as well and nobody was turning a reel, not the boats trolling, drifting or anchoring.

we'll have to give it another go next time.

Cheers,

thanks for clarifying that mate, so reading your post id assume that they were yellowtail horse mackeral?

cheers,

May I suggest going for squid instead?

We went out on Sunday too, for kings. Got heaps of squid in a half hour, then nothing at all for the next four hours.

I've heard about and seen some good kings off the headlands lately, so they can't be too far off coming inside.

wow fisherman1994, just saw your pb flathead.. 113cm!!!

congratulations thats massive! was there a report you can link?

thanks for that mate, but im sorry no there isnt a report as i only caught the fish when i was 13, about a year before i actually created a fishraider profile. but i caught it up at lake macquarie in swansea, not too far from swansea :1prop:

thanks again for all the replies everybody, am looking forward to my next trip out, hopefully ill meet a few of you guys out on the water sometime :1prop:

cheers,