Mission Accomplished!

monch

Time: 6am - 10am

Tide: High at around 8:30am

Water Clarity: Relatively clear, about 2-3m of visibility

Wind: Pretty much non-existent

Barometer: Generally steady at around 1013-1015

I had been itching for a fish all week since the BB social but could not spare the time due to uni work etc.

I had resisted the urge to go on Friday when the barometer was higher but gave in and decided to go out this morning.

Headed to my local haunt and arrived just before 6am. I was cursing my lateness because the sun had already risen and i wanted to start whilst it was still dark. The plan was to set some baits for the barely legal snapper/trevally in the area, and hopefully get some live yakkas to throw out on the larger setup for some jewies or kingies.

I was continuously re-baiting pillies for the trevally and yakkas that i had burleyed up with bread. There were a few 30-35cm trevally and monster yakkas about 3m away from the wharf but were too shy to swallow my baits, would only mouth them momentarily before spitting it out. Took a while to get 2, 20cm yakkas which i thought were too big to use so i kept them in my bucket for a while. At 8:30am some1 calls out that they have seen a school of 6+ large fish patrolling the area, maybe kings.

The yakkas and trevally were becoming increasingly shy with the sun rising so i took my bets with the large livies and lobbed one out about 30m on twin 4/0's and a float. At about 9am i got a run on my baitrunner and immediately grabbed the rod, i gave the fish about 2-3 extra seconds to swallow the bait then i struck. Felt some decent weight and this thing immediately swung around to the left and slightly towards me. In 2 seconds it had swum 30m or so... Holy... this thing was fast. After that i felt a heavy weight and slow tail kicks but it didn't take any drag. I was confused about wat fish this was and kept pumping and winding. Winched him in quite easily on my 6-10kg rod and 20lb braid on a 4500 Baitrunner. A few fellow fisherman happily netted it for me. A 65cm (approx) Aussie Salmon, Yehhaaaa. First fish on my new outfit, first salmon and a decent size too, PB's all round :biggrin2:

post-6015-1253426429_thumb.jpg

The fish was tailwrapped and came in backwards. I think it somehow got wrapped up after the initial run towards me since it was just a heavy weight with some kicks afterwards and i was able to slowly wind it in. There is a fairly fresh wound on its tail wrist which had started to heal it was also missing the top half of its tail, and getting the line caught around its tail might have opened up the wounds abit.

post-6015-1253426441_thumb.jpg

Success! (wrong species, didn't put up as much of a fight as i expected but overall, good enough :P)

post-6015-1253426448_thumb.jpg

Estimate of 65cm.

post-6015-1253426565_thumb.jpg

The rig, 20lb braid > 2m of 30lb mono leader joined by slim beauty > float > swivel > 50cm of 30lb mono trace to two 4/0's on fixed snells.

post-6015-1253426632_thumb.jpg

Edited by monch

Great fish there monch... i have been catching a few salmon in the hacking over the last month or so also and i hae noticed that every one that i have caught (5 in total) has had some sort of flesh wound too, similar to ones in the second photo... Any ideas on where the wounds are coming from? I thought it might be from predatory fish, though i have seen similar wounds on a bream i caught in the hacking.

Great fish there monch... i have been catching a few salmon in the hacking over the last month or so also and i hae noticed that every one that i have caught (5 in total) has had some sort of flesh wound too, similar to ones in the second photo... Any ideas on where the wounds are coming from? I thought it might be from predatory fish, though i have seen similar wounds on a bream i caught in the hacking.

Probably getting eaten by the Leatherjackets

Edited by harold