Whale Display

warnie

Hi All

Whilst fishing the Wollongong Tournie over the weekend and for some reason unknown to me the boat became an object of fascination to a passing group of whales in particular with the calf of the group which casually swam right up to the back of the boat to raise its head as if looking and be wondering in what was going on aboard ship.....we could of literally jumped on its back if we so desired it was that close however more of a concern to me was the fact in the mother deliberately situating herself directly under and around the boat as if to be keeping guard where upon losing patience she proceeded to dive and fully breach not more than 100 mtrs off our starboard side upon this happening the calf proceeded on in joining its mother......I know whale watchers pay big bucks in seeing this kind of display and we were treated to a free showing of nature but admit in it being quite unnerving all the same to see this kind of display happening so close to the boat here are some pics showing the calf whilst milling around the back however none were taken when the calf was at her closest due to us been distracted with the fasination of it all happening we did get one of the mother's tail as she dove down however the breach took us by surprise happening so quickly.

I hope the pic's give a perspective on the veiw although not giving it justice all the same

Cheers Warnie

post-4679-1253527714_thumb.jpg This is around the third pass before surfacing at the back of the boat

post-4679-1253527741_thumb.jpg The calf at her furthest distance before swinging back in

post-4679-1253527775_thumb.jpg The mother's tail as she dove down before breaching vertically less than 100 mtrs away from the boat

your right people pay plenty to see nature at its best like that ,beautiful,but a little scary i bet warnie,wouldnt be good if it turned ungry over with a hundred kilos of burley to swim with while waiting for help . ,lol

thats a great shot of the tail,sort of like a post card

cheers arman

Nice pics Warnie - I remember a similar encounter near Seal rocks.. the baby was practically trying to scratch its back on the hull while the mother sat submerged a few meters off ...

a bit of a worry as the mothers can be quite protective..

We werent carrying 100kg of burley but still wouldnt want to be in the water so far from land!