Advice For Fish Finders.

vinni

Gday raiders.. Im about to buy a fish finder for my tinny. I mainly fish the harbour and was wondering if anyone had any advice on which fish finder is working well. Looking at spending around $300. There seem to be only two that suit my price range, the eagle fishmark 320 or the hummingbird matrix 12. Are there any other options??

Appreciate any advice cheers Vinni

Hi Vinni,

You could also look at the Garmin 140. It's an entry level sounder and you can get

them from most boating stores like XYZ.

I have one and have been happy so far yet I only bought it last year. It's certainly

within your price range. Hope this helps.

For future reference this topic would be better suited to the thread labelled "boating"

or possibly "the Workshop" (d.i.y section).

There is plenty of info on selecting and installing sounders in the aforementioned sections.

Cheers,

Mike

Gday raiders.. Im about to buy a fish finder for my tinny. I mainly fish the harbour and was wondering if anyone had any advice on which fish finder is working well. Looking at spending around $300. There seem to be only two that suit my price range, the eagle fishmark 320 or the hummingbird matrix 12. Are there any other options??

Vinni,

To be honest with you buddy save your cash and get yourself a good sounder or look for a second hand one, preferably a furuno.

Cheers,

Theo

Hi Vinni

I've had a Garmin 120 for 4 years & found it great for estuary work, high pixel count & good definition at the right price. The 140 is almost the same but is "dual beam".

WazG :1welcomeani:

Vinni,

To be honest with you buddy save your cash and get yourself a good sounder or look for a second hand one, preferably a furuno.

Cheers,

Theo

i have to agree with Theo

save your pennys and get a good quality one

if you buy a cheaper one you will soon be wishing you had spent a little more money and got one with more features,better screen, better resolution

i started off with a cheapo garmin which was upgraded a few months later to a entry level sounder which was then upgraded to a gps/finder combo

all this within a few months

best just to wait and get a good one

Hi Vinny, best bang for your buck under $300 is the Lawrance X50DS. Dual beam search and pretty good pixels.

Yes, more expensive sounders are great and have much more pixels and depth read, however if you dont fish over 50 metres of water this will do the job with ease. If you fish in the rivers mainly, as you have indicated its a tinny so you dont head out to the peak or anything like that, the X50 will easily do a good job.

I have one, did alot of research for sounders under 300, and all the stores said this was by far the best for under $300.

Cheers

Check out the Hummingbird Matrix 12 which comes in at under $300 (which you can upgrade to a GPS receiver later if you wish) or the Eagle Cuda 350 S/Map which you can buy for $40 more which has 16-level grey scale and is GPS-ready.

Good luck with the purchase

Marty

I bought my last one from the USA and paid about half of the price that I would have paid here. Just make sure the warranty details are clear, but with the way the dollar is at the moment, you can get a much better unit for your money.

im going through the Bias Boating catalogue and there are quite a few around that price range

$349 Lowrance x52 - 188rms - 240x160 resolution - 4" mono screen

$289 Lowrance x50ds - 188rms - 240x160 resolution - 4" mono screen

$289 Eagle Fishmark 320 - 187rms - 320x320 resolution - 5" mono screen

$339 Eagle cuda 350s/map - 100rms - 240x160 resolution - 4" mono screen (GPS combo)

$339 Garmin 160c - 150rms - 128x128 resolution - 4.5" Colour Screen

$369 Garmin 300c - 150rms - 240x320 resolution - 4.5" Colour Screen

$329 Hummingbird Matrix 12x - 250rms - 240x240 resolution - 5" mono screen

My pick of the bunch would be either hummingbird matrix 12x or eagle fishmark 320 bcos they have good resolution, rms and large screen

ive got a eagle cuda which does the job but i would like a bit more power from the sounder to pick up better detail and larger screen

the colour feature from the Garmin sounders are handy but i dont think its really necessary but i would consider them too.

They all designed for estuary and bay fishing as they all have 200khz transducer frequency.

i hope this helps