Sweep

eddie82

Hey raiders,

Am wondering if all of this rain will spark a wet season here in Sydney ... I am anticipating that a wet season may ignite chance of landing a a few sweep. A nice one I landed at the entrance to a tidal estuary provided a good entre sized meal a few weeks ago.

This is the first post i have read about someone wanting to catch sweep. :1prop: I don't know of anyone that likes eating them.

You can catch sweep at basically any rock platform. North Head, Avalon, Long Reef etc. with some berley (bread and or pillies). You should not find them hard to come by thats for sure.

Haha mate i hate getting sweep.. They get in the burley trail when trying to get yakkas. I was out in my tinny today and there were lots of them around west head in the morning. Also there are quite a few big ones round the mouth of the basis if you burley hard with bread. I dont know about eating them :1yikes: but never tried it so they might be ok.

Cheers YG :1prop::1fishing1:

Edited by Young Gun

i rate sweep second only to leatherjackets when getting in the way of catching decent fish. they certainly arent hard to come by and are rather annoying when they school over reefs on top of kingfish. some raiders reckon they come up ok smoked, at least leatherjackets are decent eating but sweep i think is more like eating wet cardboard. :1prop:

eddie if you like eating sweep you should try leather jackets no size limit and 20 bag limit you need small hooks and a wire trace or if you can sight fish for them a small jighead with a small bait on the very point off the hook but be quick or they go snip and you'll have to rerig

some berly will bring in the jackets and you will be doing every one a big favour

cherrs gary

BIG snapper sometimes cough up full sweep when they hit the deck ;)

I like sweep schools :biggrin2:

Anyone else ever encountered this? If only a decent snapper could be caught for every 100 sweep stealing baits at longy....sometimes squire amongst the hordes but never actual snapper for me..... one day a plus 2 or 3 kg sepciman will come my way.......

cheers guys caught a few this morning.... great eating.

I am fairly new to eating fish is there anything better in sydney harbour that i should be focussing on???

:1welcomeani: Where do i start... You'll love the flathead, bream,tevally, kingfish, mulloway(jewfish)..And lots more.

All of the above can be found in the harbour. Oh... don't forget about snapper...Beautiful eating.

Good luck with it.

Maybe you can post a sweep recipe in the kitchen forum :074:

Welsh Dave.

Hey Eddie,

Nothing quite like a courtbullion chille poached sweep or a seared and encrusted sweep cutlet served on a bed of pilentta with a roast capsicum jous accompanied by zuchini, fennell and eggplant rolls.

Que? Does that come with chips??

Russ