Making My Own Live Bait Tank

fishaman

hey guys,

was just wondering what sort of pump system i would need to make a live bait tank, and where i would be able to buy it from???

Thx

a decent size bilge pump and a water pickup is what you will need, the pickup will work whilst underway. when stopped just switch the pump on

Fisherman The pump & bracket are available at most large marine stores. Unfortunatly they are not cheap , a Rule 360 pump & bracket cost around $70.00 pluss hoses , fittings & electrics.

I have seen less expensive units on the auction web sites but not sure what the quality is like.

This is a typical pump set up. If you choose this arrangement , there needs to be a 3/8" hole drilled into the blue base to allow the water from the pick up to travel to the pump whilst underway.

post-731-1255380794_thumb.jpg

This photo shows a standard set up , pump , the overflow outlet above & on the right hand side , next to the grey hose , the drain ontlet.

There are other options , it depends on the tank & location in the boat

post-731-1255381133_thumb.jpg

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Fisherman The pump & bracket are available at most large marine stores. Unfortunatly they are not cheap , a Rule 360 pump & bracket cost around $70.00 pluss hoses , fittings & electrics.

I have seen less expensive units on the auction web sites but not sure what the quality is like.

This is a typical pump set up. If you choose this arrangement , there needs to be a 3/8" hole drilled into the blue base to allow the water from the pick up to travel to the pump whilst underway.

post-731-1255380794_thumb.jpg

This photo shows a standard set up , pump , the overflow outlet above & on the right hand side , next to the grey hose , the drain ontlet.

There are other options , it depends on the tank & location in the boat

post-731-1255381133_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

the top photo looks like the back of a webster twinfisher. i have one myself and am planning to plumb my port live well. did you set yours up yourself? did you make the inlet at the bottom or use the hole near the top? more photos would be great.

thanks,

D

Hi Geoff,

the top photo looks like the back of a webster twinfisher. i have one myself and am planning to plumb my port live well. did you set yours up yourself? did you make the inlet at the bottom or use the hole near the top? more photos would be great.

thanks,

D

Manimal Correct , it is a Webster. I had the plumbing & electrics done by the dealer when I purchased the boat however , the plumbing & electrics shown in the photo of the mono hull I did for on a friends boat.

It is not difficult but it can take a bit of time especially feeding the cable & connecting the electrics.

The water feeds in from the top of the tank using the using the hose connection which is welded onto the tank.

The over flow & drain is via the bottom of the tank.

The pump is a Rule 360

For interest , the pump also provides water for the deck wash

Here are some more pic's

post-731-1256506818_thumb.jpg

post-731-1256506876_thumb.jpg

post-731-1256506949_thumb.jpg

Geoff

thanks for the reply. i take it the pipe in the bottom of the outlet is to maintain water level. how do you empty the tank after a session?

Correct , the pipe controls the water level. The pipe , which is a piece of electrical condute , has a taper on the end & is a press fit. To empty the tank , the pipe just pulls out.

I have two pipes , a short one as shown in the photo & a longer one. I normally use the short pipe as the LDT doubles as a holder for dead baits so , livies swiming around in the tank & other baits in the buckets

post-731-1256932724_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Edited by Geoff