Barometer

robeebee

but with all the predicted wind tomorrow, will the fish be biting ?

Mate there is only one way to find out, that's if you can handle the wind.

Ive caught fish while its windy but these days I don't bother..... unless I am desperate.

Good Luck,

Regards,

Nathan

ahh, didn't know that

what is too high? 1020?

Isn't there an old saying "1020, fish are plenty"???

I'd say it'd have to be pretty high, over 1030. I've had lots of good days with the barometer around the 1025 mark. And I usually expect an ordinary day if it's much below 1015...

Edited by abecedarian

Isn't there an old saying "1020, fish are plenty"???

I'd say it'd have to be pretty high, over 1030. I've had lots of good days with the barometer around the 1025 mark. And I usually expect an ordinary day if it's much below 1015...

very interesting

cheers

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the barometer before moving up to QLD... now I do it makes an obvious difference to the way fish bite.

One of my fishing buddies has an aquarium bass and you can tell what the barometer is doing just from how it's behaving. When it's really low, dropping or too high, the bass just sulks at the bottom of the tank. When it's on the rise the bass gets really feisty.

Cheers, Slinky

• 1 month later...

The following table attempts to summarize the barometric pressure, and observations on fish activity and fishing techniques.

Pressure Trend

Typical Weather

Fish Behaviour

Suggested Fishing Tactics

High

Clear skies

Fish seek cover, look for logs, weeds in shallows. If water too warm, will stop biting.

Fish structure close to surface, with shallow crankbaits, poppers, etc..

Rising

Clearing or improving

Fish start to move out of deeper water. After a day or so, go to normal feeding.

Fish with brighter lures and near cover, moving from deeper water to shallower water.

Normal and stable

Fair

Normal activity.

Experiment with your favorite baits and lures.

Falling

Degrading

Most active feeding.

Range of different methods. Surface and shallow running lures may work well.

Slightly lower

Usually cloudy

Fish seek deeper water, with water temp maybe also slowing them down. May need to settle before feeding again.

Use deep running lures at a moderate speed.

Low

Rainy and stormy

Fish move to deeper structures, may not feed.

Fish deep structures, vary your methods.

Of course, the longer a period of high feeding activity, the more likely the fish are to stop feeding. And the longer the period of inactivity, the more likely the fish are to start feeding.

Draw your own conclusions on the effect of a changing barometric pressure on fishing activity. Whether pressure changes by themselves cause feeding changes may be in question, but the patterns seem to be there irregardless.

By David Girdwood

Manager, Thefishingnut

the table didn't copy but you can get the ghist of what he was saying. Works for me.

Cheers for the table buddy.

Can anyone direct me to a good webpage they use for pressure readings and changes??

Nic

My old man always talks about 1020 fish a plenty , but he also talks about the different affect the barometer has on a major predator eg Jew , in his experience he has always told me to look for a big storm coming in and a crashing barometer, then get out there in the wind and rain .

He has caught many over the years and these are usually big solid fish so I don't argue with Big Max on this point.