Popper Whiting

fish40

post-11395-1256441645_thumb.jpg HI guys.

Put the 385 explorer in at Dolans Bay for my first go at whiting on poppers.

Using a 50mm Rebel pop r with 2kg fluorocarbon on 3kg braid.

The going was tough untill the tide changed with just a talor for my effort.

Then at 8:30am the switch was thrown and my first whiting was on, a small fish of 28cm. :thumbup:

For the next hour the action was consistant with the whiting getting bigger, with a few just undersize bream to keep me on my toes. all in all a good morning with 5 whiting from 28cm to 38cm.

6 bream for 1 keeper of 27cm

and 1 talor.

As for my first go at whiting on poppers to say I was stoked is an understatment. :thumbup:

Till next time .

Marc.

Nice one Marc,

I saw Pete Pakula talk about catching whiting on poppers at the boat show. He said it was a great option.

Interestingly he said its good to use a heavy leader to dumb down the action of the popper. It seems whiting are a bit uncoordinated and you need to make it a bit easier for them.

Haven't tried it yet but looking forward to it.

Anyway, nice catch.

Jas.

Nice one Marc,

I saw Pete Pakula talk about catching whiting on poppers at the boat show. He said it was a great option.

Interestingly he said its good to use a heavy leader to dumb down the action of the popper. It seems whiting are a bit uncoordinated and you need to make it a bit easier for them.

Haven't tried it yet but looking forward to it.

Anyway, nice catch.

Jas.

If you watch Steve Starling he recommends the same thing. If you're fishing poppers, throw a 10-12lb leader on (doesn't have to be long, 30cm or a bit more would be enough) with a bit of line floatant and it'll work a lot better. The heavier line helps them track straighter causing more of a pop when you jig the lure, which the fish love. The line floatant is necessary sometimes because the mono can sink and then the popper will be pulled under when you jig rather than popping along the surface. And the heavier leader doesn't matter because it's on the surface and gets lost in all the splashing.

Edited by abecedarian

That's a sensational effort! Did you get them over weedbeds/flats?

Over the flats Rob, in fact the water depth was ony 30cm.

Marc.

Great session Marc. Is that a Rebel popper in the Whiting's gob?

Cheers, Slinky

Yes Slinky its A Rebel one of only two I own.

Marc.

If you watch Steve Starling he recommends the same thing. If you're fishing poppers, throw a 10-12lb leader on (doesn't have to be long, 30cm or a bit more would be enough) with a bit of line floatant and it'll work a lot better. The heavier line helps them track straighter causing more of a pop when you jig the lure, which the fish love. The line floatant is necessary sometimes because the mono can sink and then the popper will be pulled under when you jig rather than popping along the surface. And the heavier leader doesn't matter because it's on the surface and gets lost in all the splashing.

I find that flourocarbon line sinks more than monofilament and sometimes change over to mono if giving the poppers a workout - but then have caught plenty on the little R2sea bubble pops with a flouro leader.

Cheers

John

post-11395-1256441645_thumb.jpg HI guys.

Put the 385 explorer in at Dolans Bay for my first go at whiting on poppers.

Using a 50mm Rebel pop r with 2kg fluorocarbon on 3kg braid.

The going was tough untill the tide changed with just a talor for my effort.

Then at 8:30am the switch was thrown and my first whiting was on, a small fish of 28cm. :thumbup:

For the next hour the action was consistant with the whiting getting bigger, with a few just undersize bream to keep me on my toes. all in all a good morning with 5 whiting from 28cm to 38cm.

6 bream for 1 keeper of 27cm

and 1 talor.

As for my first go at whiting on poppers to say I was stoked is an understatment. :thumbup:

Till next time .

Marc.

Hi Marc,

Love your work!

I have given poppers a go for the last 12 months with little success. I think I even have that same popper. I have only landed 2 or 3 fish from 10 sessions, with another 2 or 3 missed hits. I suspect either my gear is to heavy / primitive or my action sucks or both. Can you describe your action for me?

Also looking for advice for leader for a 6lb bream / lure outfit?

Cheers

Spanker

Hi Marc,

Love your work!

I have given poppers a go for the last 12 months with little success. I think I even have that same popper. I have only landed 2 or 3 fish from 10 sessions, with another 2 or 3 missed hits. I suspect either my gear is to heavy / primitive or my action sucks or both. Can you describe your action for me?

Also looking for advice for leader for a 6lb bream / lure outfit?

Cheers

Spanker

With regards to surface fishing for whiting and bream here are a few tips.

Whiting

Seem to like a medium speed constant retrieve with no pauses, just cast over your fav sand flat (with sea grass patches is good 0.5-1.5m deep) as far as you can and rip it in. Clear lures such as sammy’s are awesome for this and they cast miles!

Bream

Ditto however will only eat the lure when it is paused, so if you are not sure wether it is bream or whiting just mix up the retrieves.

The advantage of using this technique is the amount of water you can cover is massive in a short space of time, if you get boils but not hookups just downsize to say a NW pencil or Tiemco pencil

Bream are generally closer to cover and if you ever see a skipping prawn on top of the water followed by a chomping sound, you can be sure it is a bream, for this kind of work a popper is tops just chuck it near the prawn, twitch it and let it sit.

Remember when casting to visibly feeding fish or tight cover use a popper (I like the LC Kerrol jr)

When searching flats or weed beds use a pencil and cover lots of water, pay close attention to the edges and also weed beds ect.

Tackle for this caper is a light fast actioned graphite rod at least 7 foot.

Quality spinning reel 2000 size spooled with 4-8lb braid or GSP. Leader is MONO between 4-6lb, why mono because it floats.

cheers

bm