Big Blue Eye

350chev

HI EVERYONE, WENT OUT ON SATURDAY MORNING TO BROWNS. WE STOPPED AT 12 MILE FIRST HOPING TO CATCH SOME KINGS BUT NO LUCK. :thumbdown: SO OFF WE CONTINUED TOWARDS THE SHELF. SEA'S WERE A LITTLE ON THE UPSIDE ABOUT 2 TO 2.5 METERS. ONCE WE ARRIVED IT WAS LIKE GEORGE STREET PEAK HOUR, COMPANY EVERYWHERE :thumbup: . THERE WAS LOTS OF SURFACE ACTION WITH STRIPPIES AND I THINK SALMON. BUT DOWN OUR BAITS WENT, WAY DOWN. NOT LONG AFTER THAT HALF K TRIP DOWN I WAS ON. 10 MINUTES LATER A THUMPING 40 LB BLUE EYE, WHAT A SIGHT :1yikes::yahoo: . ONCE I COMPOSED MYSELF DOWN WENT THE BAITS AGAIN. IN TOTAL WE LANDED 9 BLUE EYE BETWEEN US. THE 4 FISH WE GOT WENT 12 KG, 13.5 KG, 14.5 KG AND THE BEAST 18 KG (40 LB) AND 1100 LONG.

AWESOME DAY OUT HOPE ALL THE OTHER GUYS HAD AS MUCH LUCK :thumbup::thumbup:

TIGHT LINES!!!! :biggrin2:

post-11636-1256535538_thumb.jpg

post-11636-1256535582_thumb.jpg

post-11636-1256535792_thumb.jpg

Hey Dan,

it's been a while since I dropped on the mountain.

Nice to see some solid blue-eye grace your deck.

I was listening to some charter guys chatting who were on the mountain and only one guy got one, so you guys brained them.

So did you lose many rigs to the bottom?

Electric reels or reef queens ?

When are we coming around for the barbie ?

Well done and bon apetite !

By the way, blue eye grow to about 40Kg but the biggest I ever saw was about 25kg.

You wouldn't want to hook a bass groper - them things get to over 100kg !

Edited by Keflapod

Hey Dan,

I was listening to some charter guys chatting who were on the mountain and only one guy got one, so you guys brained them.

By the way, blue eye grow to about 40Kg but the biggest I ever saw was about 25kg.

I would also like to know what gear you guys used, very impressive catch

I think they are the best eating fish on the planet! Do you guys ice them down on capture and cut fillets off them?

Hi Rob, I agree i love blue eye. We try to keep them as cool as possible while out at sea and then we generally cut them into cutlets and straight onto the bbq :thumbup: .

cheers

How are the arms and shoulders ??

Tuffy

Hi Tuffy, Thanks for the comment. Arms where pretty tired luckily we where using electric overhead reels.

Cheers

Hey Dan,

Hi Keflapod, Thanks for your comments. We didn't lose any rigs luckily enough and we used electric over head reels. Makes the job a little easier on the arms :biggrin2: Thanks for the info on the blue eye i never realised they grew that big. I can imagine how hard it would be reeling in one of those giants.

Cheers :thumbup:

Awesome fish Dan... :thumbup:

Can I please ask you to not post in all upper case though mate... makes it hard to read and its the post equivalent of 'shouting'.

Can't wait to see the next fish.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Slinky, my apologies on the upper case i was so excited on posting that i didn't even realise!

Cheers Mate

Well done Dan, great fish. I went to browns on Sunday, fished the South West side of the mountain drifting from 380m to 440m with electric reels. Caught a dozen blue eye, all were between 2-3kg. That's the size I've been catching the past month. Just curious which part of the mountain did you score such good sized fish. Are you using large baits ? Was thinking of not going out there for a few weeks but your catch has me eager again.

Many thanks The President.

Edited by The President

Well done Dan, great fish. I went to browns on Sunday, fished the South West side of the mountain drifting from 380m to 440m with electric reels. Caught a dozen blue eye, all were between 2-3kg. That's the size I've been catching the past month. Just curious which part of the mountain did you score such good sized fish. Are you using large baits ? Was thinking of not going out there for a few weeks but your catch has me eager again.

Many thanks The President.

Hi Mate, thanks for your comments. We manly drifted the north east side in about 260 fathoms or 475 meters. We caught 9 all up the smallest one was about 3kg all the rest were above 10kg. All our baits were on the larger size, who knows it might be true big baits big fish :biggrin2: Anyway hope this helps, let us know how you go :thumbup:

Cheers Dan