Flathead Massacre - Doesnt Get Much More Fun Then This

Joco

YESTERDAY my brother and I decided to go for a night flick @8pm (last minute decision) and score some fatties.

Our plan was to catch as many as we can, and BBQ the fish the next day to feed the tribe.

The weather was our enemy.

It was overcast, scattered showers, moon was nowhere to be seen by the cloud cover, winds were 20-30km/h and the place we went to was a bit of a drive.

I was hesitant to go.

After reading a few charts/graphs and my brothers constant nagging, I decided why not.

On the way it started to rain and immediately I got a cold shiver.

My smile was wiped of my face.

On arrival, to my surprise the rain stopped, the wind died right down and not a ripple on the water to be seen.

Pelicans starting to emerge, there was commotion in the water and I had a good feeling.

By this stage I was in a rush to get my gear ready and flick the first cast into the water.

Throughout the whole night, the sound of screaming reels filled our ears with fun and laughter.

Other fisherman surrounding us started to worry.

They even commented and wondered to themselves what they were doing wrong.

We even exchanged fishing spots, to give them a go, but luck was not on their side.

On the other hand, luck on our side was a different story.

We managed to catch 35+ flathead from which we kept 17.

Average size was around the 40-42cm mark.

pb070731.jpg

pb070736.jpg

In addition were caught 10+ Estuary Perch, from which we kept 2.

Biggest one for that night was @37cm.

BOY they are fun fighting fish for their size.

Further we caught way to many Taylor which demolished our soft plastics and hard bodied lures.

Threw them all back.

pb070721.jpg

pb070720.jpg

Also which I found a bit bizarre, is that same session my brother managed to catch an Octopus on a hard bodied lure.

I have never heard or witnessed such a thing.

I’m bedazzled and can’t get over it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

pb070724.jpg

Five minutes later I was on, thinking I was pulling out the biggest Flathead in the world and it turned out to be another Octopus.

This one was caught on a soft plastic.

I guess the type of lures/plastics you use, and the way y ou work your rod really matters.

HAHAHHA, can i submit the below photo in the "Lure fishing Record"?

pb070741.jpg

YESTERDAY my brother and I decided to go for a night flick @8pm (last minute decision) and score some fatties.

Our plan was to catch as many as we can, and BBQ the fish the next day to feed the tribe.

The weather was our enemy.

It was overcast, scattered showers, moon was nowhere to be seen by the cloud cover, winds were 20-30km/h and the place we went to was a bit of a drive.

I was hesitant to go.

After reading a few charts/graphs and my brothers constant nagging, I decided why not.

On the way it started to rain and immediately I got a cold shiver.

My smile was wiped of my face.

On arrival, to my surprise the rain stopped, the wind died right down and not a ripple on the water to be seen.

Pelicans starting to emerge, there was commotion in the water and I had a good feeling.

By this stage I was in a rush to get my gear ready and flick the first cast into the water.

Throughout the whole night, the sound of screaming reels filled our ears with fun and laughter.

Other fisherman surrounding us started to worry.

They even commented and wondered to themselves what they were doing wrong.

We even exchanged fishing spots, to give them a go, but luck was not on their side.

On the other hand, luck on our side was a different story.

We managed to catch 35+ flathead from which we kept 17.

Average size was around the 40-42cm mark.

pb070731.jpg

pb070736.jpg

In addition were caught 10+ Estuary Perch, from which we kept 2.

Biggest one for that night was @37cm.

BOY they are fun fighting fish for their size.

Further we caught way to many Taylor which demolished our soft plastics and hard bodied lures.

Threw them all back.

pb070721.jpg

pb070720.jpg

Also which I found a bit bizarre, is that same session my brother managed to catch an Octopus on a hard bodied lure.

I have never heard or witnessed such a thing.

I’m bedazzled and can’t get over it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

pb070724.jpg

Five minutes later I was on, thinking I was pulling out the biggest Flathead in the world and it turned out to be another Octopus.

This one was caught on a soft plastic.

I guess the type of lures/plastics you use, and the way y ou work your rod really matters.

HAHAHHA, can i submit the below photo in the "Lure fishing Record"?

pb070741.jpg

caught an octopus once on a yo-zuri slavko bug it followed all the way to the boat and when i paused it grabed it and wouldnt let it go :1fishing1:

Thanks guys…..

Every visit at this place i have excellent results.....

Never came back home empty handed….

Will be going back there on Thursday if the weather is good….

NOW i need to find a place where i can get similar results BUT fishing for Jewies....

WOW !!

well done ... thats gonna be a great feed. Ive caught occy's before too on a blade. Felt like big lump of seaweed on my line. Did you keep it? they taste pretty good if you know how to cook them.

caught an octopus once on a yo-zuri slavko bug it followed all the way to the boat and when i paused it grabed it and wouldnt let it go :1fishing1:

Good to hear I’m not the only one….

I kept it and threw it on the BBQ the next day.. Luv eating them…..