Avoca Rocks 15/11/09

Brooker435

Hey Raiders,

Decided to hit the rocks up at Avoca today.

Arrived there at 10:30 had a bit of a look around and the place was pretty packed so I had a chat to a few different people to get a feel of what was happening.

By what I was told most Fishos started out early say around 6am and there was activity but not a great deal.

One Guy caught a rat kingy on a live Yakka another bloke caught a Drummer and a Bonito.

The guy next to where I decided on fishing was on and I went to check out what he was bringing in and yes another Bonito but not a bad size probably around the 60cm mark.

Immediately the guy next to him started spinning these green colored lures on the surface not sure what they were and caught another 2 Bonito and that was that.

I was not to sure how I was going to fish as there was too many people near where I wanted to fish so I decided on floating a whole squid not a big one of course but that was a waste of time as the wind was too strong and before you know it the float was back on the rocks again!!!!

I then rigged up a paternoster using a cuttlefish head on a 4/o suicide hook and lobbed it out there.

10 mins or so later my rod starts bouncing not too much so I thought small fish and Immediately once I tried to set the Hook this thing on the End Decided to run and I mean run I could barely hold my rod and It went straight down and there was nothing I could do about it as I have never fought anything decent before so No experience and of course ping!!!! mind you my drag was set pretty tight and It peeled line like there was no tomorrow.

After that the action died down and people started leaving so I could set up and relax... but to no avail.

I then spent most of the day lying there on the rocks as the water was dead calm so there was no fear of being swept into the drink and after bringing my line in after 1 hour there was a scary looking reef fish on the end of it with spikes everywhere so I did not even bother trying to get the hook I just simply just cut the line and let him go.

I ended up lobbing squid strips and cuttle strips out all day and called it quits at around 5pm.

I think I need a Boat and some decent gear might try hit the MRS UP!!!!!

All the Best Raiders,

Regards Nathan :1fishing1:

Mate, I know how you feel. The same thing happened to me today.

I cast a small surface popper off my local rocks and it got smashed by something big. I don't know what it was but my line just started screeming off the reel. After losing about 50mtrs of line it didn't look like stopping so I started palming the reel and the ping I lost it.

I can't stop thinking about what it might have been.

I agree with you, first thing to do is go out and buy some better gear.

Cheers

Hi beginner,

I know how you feel to lose a big one! :thumbdown:

I was at Longie on Saturday and caught a 50cm rat on my light rod, but was reefed on my heavy rod - I got the fish half way up until it got its head down and that was the end of it. :mad3: I was fishing with a 8 - 12kg rod, 850 American Penn with 50lb braid and 60lb mono leader. And I still couldn't stop the beast with out locking it up! :wacko:

Also the leader was all frayed up, where as a shark would have bitten it off clean so I call it for a 90+ Kingie, but I'll never know. :1fishing1:

I was pissed off but also pumped up and I'll be out next weekend for another go... :1prop:

Cheers,

Andrew

That was a terrific report Nathan, with a lot of information for 'beginners' (pardon the pun):

Have a friendly chat to other fishos to get a feel for what's happening

Fish acording to the conditions. If the wind is too strong for floating baits, change your technique

If you can't identify your catch, then release it

Keep the reports coming, mate. At this rate, you'll have to change your name from 'beginner' to 'seasoned fisho' in no time! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

At least you got up there Nathan, I reckon the fish you lost night have been a big Kingie.

Shame he dusted you but them's the breaks I guess. :05:

My mate landed a real nice 82cm Kingie from Parra River Sunday morning on a whole pillie, he was west of Gladesville off a wharf, it took a whole pillie intended for a Flattie on 10lb and took 30mins to subdue.

I am heading out tonight to the same spot see if I can nail a few Flatties and Bream, then off the stones with my mate Ben to his spot for some kingies.

Better luck next time mate, persistence is the key and you are out there doing it.

:1prop:

Hi Nathan,

if that spiky reef fish was red it was probably a Rock Cod. apparently they taste good if you can fillet them. But be careful, if you get spiked on your hand your whole arm will bloody hurt for 2 hours. :( . I know this from 2 experiences.... its not good.

great report too.

Dave

Hey Raiders,

Decided to hit the rocks up at Avoca today.

Arrived there at 10:30 had a bit of a look around and the place was pretty packed so I had a chat to a few different people to get a feel of what was happening.

By what I was told most Fishos started out early say around 6am and there was activity but not a great deal.

One Guy caught a rat kingy on a live Yakka another bloke caught a Drummer and a Bonito.

The guy next to where I decided on fishing was on and I went to check out what he was bringing in and yes another Bonito but not a bad size probably around the 60cm mark.

Immediately the guy next to him started spinning these green colored lures on the surface not sure what they were and caught another 2 Bonito and that was that.

I was not to sure how I was going to fish as there was too many people near where I wanted to fish so I decided on floating a whole squid not a big one of course but that was a waste of time as the wind was too strong and before you know it the float was back on the rocks again!!!!

I then rigged up a paternoster using a cuttlefish head on a 4/o suicide hook and lobbed it out there.

10 mins or so later my rod starts bouncing not too much so I thought small fish and Immediately once I tried to set the Hook this thing on the End Decided to run and I mean run I could barely hold my rod and It went straight down and there was nothing I could do about it as I have never fought anything decent before so No experience and of course ping!!!! mind you my drag was set pretty tight and It peeled line like there was no tomorrow.

After that the action died down and people started leaving so I could set up and relax... but to no avail.

I then spent most of the day lying there on the rocks as the water was dead calm so there was no fear of being swept into the drink and after bringing my line in after 1 hour there was a scary looking reef fish on the end of it with spikes everywhere so I did not even bother trying to get the hook I just simply just cut the line and let him go.

I ended up lobbing squid strips and cuttle strips out all day and called it quits at around 5pm.

I think I need a Boat and some decent gear might try hit the MRS UP!!!!!

All the Best Raiders,

Regards Nathan :1fishing1:

Try and shout the missus a hair do and lunch, should work :074:

:1fishing1: Thanks Raiders for your support!!!!

It is frustrating sometimes posting days like this but I say to myself that we all have them.

I guess the golden rule for myself Is not to go out and expect to bring something home but to go out and make the best of the situation weather it be catching fish or just relaxing or chatting with other fishos does not really matter but I always seem to learn something new on each outing.

a couple of things each time and hopefully one day Ill have something to write about!!!!! and something to Eat!!!!

Maybe this weekend might be the one hahahaha.

Today I purchased some 40lb Line to replace my 20lb which ill spool up when I can decide which one of my other reels deserves the 20lb as its too good to throw away and I am considering changing my Spinning rod from vanish 8lb over to some sort of braid line for soft plastic fishing....

Regards,

Nathan

G'day Nathan, mate when I got your call I was into the kings as you know, we will tee up a rocks bash and I'll show you some basic bits and pieces to get ya going, I was around there on satdee morning and I know I didn't put a post up, but I did get a couple of nice fish. As for your line ripping fishy, it would have been a big Eagle Ray, I got another 2 on satdee and mate they rip line off like there's no tomorrow.

So mate my next assignment is to get you a fish or two, give me a call to tee up a time, very early morning is best if you can arrange it..

G'day Nathan, mate when I got your call I was into the kings as you know, we will tee up a rocks bash and I'll show you some basic bits and pieces to get ya going, I was around there on satdee morning and I know I didn't put a post up, but I did get a couple of nice fish. As for your line ripping fishy, it would have been a big Eagle Ray, I got another 2 on satdee and mate they rip line off like there's no tomorrow.

So mate my next assignment is to get you a fish or two, give me a call to tee up a time, very early morning is best if you can arrange it..

you left to early Ray ,you missed Jun been spooled by a stickface ,jumped 3 times befor spooling him on his penn spinfisher .around 70 kgs in weight .

Edited by customcasting