Does Anyone Know This Fish?

daeheeyang

hi raiders,

I headed to little head last Friday (sorry, its late post!) and a friend of mine (Jason) and I had a lot of fun!

well, this time we tried to make our secret weapon to get some attract fish on Friday.

it was very quiet but wind was really really strong so, we could not hold fishing rods straight down to water!

after few hours, we didnt have any bites but suddenly I caught fish..... but :05: fish hide between rocks! sad... had to cut off my line!

my friend also caught few fish but his light rod could not control fish to land! its too sad that we could not control fish to land on the rock!!!

finally, I landed two bass gropers and Jason landed a weired looking fish but we had no idea how fish is called.... does anyone know this fish? and... is it eatable? :)

regards,

daehee

post-8960-1258382830_thumb.jpg

My cousin and I curse each other with those things...usually one of us will hook up on something decent and the other will say "ahh it's probably a Sarg!"...doesn't matter where we are....could be up in the fresh chasing a bass or over the flats using poppers....we get a giggle out of it anyway....

The reason Sargeant bakers have so many bones is because they have two sets of lateral line bones.

They run parallel to eachother and are very long, thin and sharp. be careful when eating them.

They make good fish stock for soup, or you can fillet them but when deboning, you have to cur two sets of lateral line bones out.

Yes they also make good bottom bouncing baits...

And now that we've told you that your fish is a sargeant baker - perhaps you could tell us what a "bass groper" is?

From the looks of the tail in the photo I'd say you actually caught a drummer but I could well be wrong.

A bass groper is a (very) deep sea species.....and very large....1m to 2m. Think you're probably right...drummer.