Prawning In The Georges

archilles2

Hi all,

I tried having a go prawning in the georges with one of those haul nets on Friday , yes it was registered and 100% legal however I couldn't help but feel as though i was prawning in shark territory.

We went down near picnic point and things just didn't feel right - could anyone suggest any other spots that aren't as dangerous ? :04: i was up to my shoulders in water and couldn't see a damn thing .

Next time you go down there ,can you wait till I bring my 130 game stick and I will wack a hook in your back :074:

Cheers Stewy

I have a tip for ya,go and buy em instead of taking that sort of risk in known shark waters :1yikes:

:074::074::074:

cheers Basil

Edited by Groper

If you were super keen you could buy a shark shield for between $600 and $700 but you would probably need 1 each because the range of the electric field wouldn't quite be effective at both ends of a 6m net. Or i suppose you could have a 3rd guy wearing it halfway between the 2 guys carrying the net and hope the field reached the ends of the net. You can google shark shield if you want to see what they are about and watch some videos about them. I've never used one but i've heard good things about them.

I think getting a shark shield just to go prawning may be getting a little extreme but i know some guys will have a crack at anything so it's just another idea.

Hi all,

I tried having a go prawning in the georges with one of those haul nets on Friday , yes it was registered and 100% legal however I couldn't help but feel as though i was prawning in shark territory.

We went down near picnic point and things just didn't feel right - could anyone suggest any other spots that aren't as dangerous ? :04: i was up to my shoulders in water and couldn't see a damn thing .

We used to prawn a lot a few years back but haven't been for about ... can't remember how many years.

A good spot was on the sand flats at Sans Souci near the sailing club. Last couple of hours of the runout tide

when its dark. Don't waste your time if a southerly is blowing, best is a hot nor-wester or nor-easter.

You shouldn't need to go out past your waist.

wear shoes as crabs and broken glass are a problem. Be careful when sorting your catch as blue ringed octopus and fortys-ques were not uncommon.

Suss it out with a scoop net and torch first and if you see prawns then use your haul net.

I'm sure you'll give us a post so I can pick up my share of the catch.

Bruce

hehe thanks for the replies raiders might try those spots, and sussing it out with a scoop net first isn't a bad idea either!

We used to prawn a lot a few years back but haven't been for about ... can't remember how many years.

A good spot was on the sand flats at Sans Souci near the sailing club. Last couple of hours of the runout tide

when its dark. Don't waste your time if a southerly is blowing, best is a hot nor-wester or nor-easter.

You shouldn't need to go out past your waist.

wear shoes as crabs and broken glass are a problem. Be careful when sorting your catch as blue ringed octopus and fortys-ques were not uncommon.

Suss it out with a scoop net and torch first and if you see prawns then use your haul net.

I'm sure you'll give us a post so I can pick up my share of the catch.

Bruce

After reading this post the best place to find prawns on the Georges is just either side of Tom Uglies Bridge back near the shallower water at a place called Smiths :1prop:

Is this spot behind the fish and chips shop?? I never thought there'd ever be prawns there....

Is this spot behind the fish and chips shop?? I never thought there'd ever be prawns there....

I think "Smiths" is the fish and chips shop, on each side of the road.... they always have prawns... ;)

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Try these flats ive mark mate, There are a few more but my Google Earth is playing up on me

Be careful tho because the tide goes out really fast, Standing in water up to your shoulders is not a good idea, You only really need to go in knee deep at most

post-7089-1260170971_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edited by cut_loose