Prawns At Foster?

tafc010

Hey All, sneaking off to Foster on Saturday for a week, taking the boat and was wondering if there any prawns about, enjoy a good feed with fresh bread rolls and an Ice Cold Coke.

If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Geoff :1prop:

Hi Geoff

There are normally prawns about, but as we are virtually at the new moon phase, they may be scarce on the ground! You can always try scooping them during the day - they hide in the sand during the day & some still come out at night with the out tide, but many more when there is no moon!

Have fun - plenty of fish out there

Roberta

Hey Geoff,

Mate we were up there ealry this year and the moon and tides were right and we got so many prawns ! we would shine the touch in the water and you could see soo many of them swimming ! we were tied up against the racks in one of the main channels with heeps of other people ! and we put the net in the water and most of them just swam in :) i think this is the spot they are

That remains me ! 1 month till i go to Forster, Far out i cant wait :)

Hoping to have a good time up there and hopefully will get lots of fish,

Goodluck with the prawning mate :)

Edited by cut_loose

Hey Roberta

We (Geoff & Jeff) met you a couple of years ago, we were on the Foster side blackfishing. Anyway what's the scoop on "plenty of fish about".

We have the boat and NO KIDS so we are pretty much free as the handbrakes are doing a shopping spree.

A little bit of info would be cool.

Thanks heaps

Geoff :thumbup:

P.S Thanks Cut_Loose for the info, we tied up to an oyster lease once and watched the biggest bream you have ever seen swim around looking at us like we had two heads, never mind we will try for some prawns anyway.

.....we tied up to an oyster lease once and watched the biggest bream you have ever seen swim around looking at us like we had two heads,.....

Hi Geoff & Jeff,

The fish are just as you put above!! If you can't scoop any prawns (they say you can on any out tide in the evenings in the shallows around Ohma Bay in Tuncurry!) then try & catch some fresh mullet & cut them into thin slices. There are baby mullet all round the leases now about 2" long!! I jagged one & put it on a light jig head & dropped it beside a lease ...... and got busted off by a huge bream! :(

The bream will be over the shallow weed beds and close up to any structure, be it jetty, boat hull, poles or leases or 'wild' oyster crops. Go out in the boat (carefully) at low tide & see what it exposed, then go & fish it on the rising and falling tides. You will lose a bit of tackle, so don't use your expensive lures unless over the flats - gulps are always good & you should get flatties & bream galore! Every morning the boats are queing up for the red spot whiting between the bridge & the first lease, bagging out most times. THey are small (would make terrific live bait, as there is no size limit on red spot ....unlike sand whiting.) I reckon you'd get some good flatties on them too.

Tie up to the end of the lease that the water is flowing into (either tide) and drift your bait down between the racks & HANG ON!! Unweighted is good, or the tiniest of split shot to get it floating down.

Good luck

Cheerio

Roberta

May see you out there! again :)

When i grew up in Forster many moons ago , we would go prawing a fair bit and used to tie up off a lease at the back of pipers bay . If you are leaving from the main boat ramp you just go down through the paddock turn left through hells gates and then as your travelling down the main channel on your left about 100m or so before the leases on the left hand side end , there is a sneaky little gap you can drive through . It's only 4ft to 8 ft deep and you can see the flats behind the lease . this way when the prawns come off the flats you have no pro's or anyone between them and your boat . It's pretty much at the back of the caravan park , Lani's i think . The only warning i would give you is to get there early if there is a lot of traffic or pro's out , and you can also so access this spot from Forster Keys , at the end of King George Parade . Last time the old man and I went to this spot it started off pretty slow and so i would put i live prawn on a light jighead and drop it over into the lease for a bream . But the best method was to put one direclty under the boat right behind your lights and we caught a lot of whiting and small faltties this way .

MMMMMM Prawns...

Bubba