Coxswain Certificate?

Berleyguts

HI,

Does anybody here have a NSW Coxwain's Certificate? What is involved in getting one?

I may need to be looking for a new job in a few months (told last week, nice Christmas present after 22 years! :1yikes: ). Anyway, the Maritime Authority is advertising possible vacancies for Boating Safety Officers which sound interesting and a big career change for me (at almost 50!). You need a Coxwains Certificate or be able to show that you can get one within 3 months.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Baz

Baz apart from photoshopping these days lol there used to be an equivalent to a third mate navigators ticket at Port Kembla..Not sure what's involved in a cockswains ticket and not sure what it is other then to say it would include having knowledge of bay and harbour pilotting and tug boats etc and the general regulations and responsibilities for power boats and yachts etc, so... it might be an idea to find out if Sydney Maritime run their own course by ringing one of the boys or girls at the branches and ask if they can give you a list of accredited establishments where they themselves may have done the course.. perhaps ask if the authority that accompanies the ticket can also apply to other states by doing something like a refresher course or updates to suit etc

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I did mine about 10 years ago. Hardest thing was to prove the 3600 hours sea time. The system and requirements have changed. I would start by looking at the Maritime website for commercial licensing at this page http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/cv/safe_crew.html

There is also Qualifications to be obtained via OTEN (TAFE) this page http://www.oten.edu.au/oten/core/showpage....p;cofferid=8934

As you will read not an easy process. I recomend to anybody that owns a boat to start gathering evidence of your time at sea or on the water, you never know when you may require it. I still have a Record of service book that I fill in every time I set foot on a vessel and most importantly get it witnessed.

Pete

I did mine about 10 years ago. Hardest thing was to prove the 3600 hours sea time. The system and requirements have changed. I would start by looking at the Maritime website for commercial licensing at this page http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/cv/safe_crew.html

There is also Qualifications to be obtained via OTEN (TAFE) this page http://www.oten.edu.au/oten/core/showpage....p;cofferid=8934

As you will read not an easy process. I recomend to anybody that owns a boat to start gathering evidence of your time at sea or on the water, you never know when you may require it. I still have a Record of service book that I fill in every time I set foot on a vessel and most importantly get it witnessed.

Pete

hi guys i have a very good mate at sea school based at pymont you can now do the course through them which is alot quicker than oten .they are great people and they are on the net .just type in sea school or call them and ask for jenny or ben they have a new course running soon and swoordfisherman a renkon you give them a holla as i reckon they could be potential sponsors of the raiders cheers dunc333. :wacko:

I have been looking at doing my coxswains for some time now. It requires you to do 2000-2200 hours sea time, which equates to 48 weeks of full time work on the water. You need to do a two week private course or six month tafe course plus theres another certificate you need to get before going for your coxswains.

It something that upsets me, as im passionate about the waterways and fishing, but when you've got a mortgage and family to look after, it makes it hard to have your dream job.