Bass On Poppers

johnny doi

gday raiders,

iv been doin a bit of lure fishing with my mate josh & we'v got some bass lately but keen to get some of a better class & on surface lures.

all bass iv caught have been on divers but josh has got some on surface as he has a bigger lure collection & budget than i do.i only have a couple cheap cupface poppers,1 is a 55mm white/red head kokoda popper,other 2 are troll craft,1 gold,other blue/white.theyr 60-65mm & weigh 9 or 11grms.do you guys think these are any good?

the trollcrafts have a really big bloop when retreived & move & create alot of commotion.might be good for tailor,salmon & rat kings,but is it any good on bass?

what i mostly wana know is,what type retreive do bass like with poppers?aggressive,constant retreive or stop/start retreive?

i wana get more surface lures but my budget is pretty limited ATM.so what surface lures do you guys reccomend for under $15?

also what cheaper divers are good?iv got a collection but all bass iv caught have been on the smilin jacks raw prawn.iv got 45mm pak rats in purple/black,orange/black & flouro green/black.also have halco scorpions,orange/gold & flouro green,gold laser pros,& other 50mm shallow/mid divers of different brands.are any or these any good on bass?iv also caught bream on the stated lures.

so if any raiders could assist me in my quest to better class bass,it will be muchly appreciated.thanks in advance.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Hi Johnny

With the cicadas going off just now, any cicada imitation will be taken as well ....... just let it sit there til all the water rings have stopped & then just tweak it a little! I got a heap of bream on a black one last time I was out - should be the same with bass. Originally it was orange & I used a permanent marker to change it to black (bass & bream love black!!) Most poppers will work better if you get it right in the zone! If fishing from a boat, get the popper/lure to land as close to the edge as you can get it (even have it bounce off the shore/rocks back into the water) & put it under overhanging trees too. Always pause it first off, then very small twitches after the 'rings' have stopped. Should get smacked. If fishing from shore, try & keep it along the edges rather than out in the open.

mix up the size of the lures, too - try small, med & larger sized ones - you never know what they are feeding on at the time!

Get some of the clear poppers - you can get a box of 5 for about $15-18 at most reputable tackle shops just now ...... try them 'clear' & then change the colour of some of the others at will! I sometimes change the colour of some of my lures with nail polish - some very nice dark purple nail polish out there just now, with some silver 'flash' in it ....... sometimes I do the bellly, sometimes the shoulder, sometimes the whole thing!

If it doesn't work, just use nail polish remover to take it off & try another colour! Bass love purple, too!!

good luck

Roberta

thanx roberta,very helpful as always.would you be able to pm me the name if the 5pk of poppers please,i wana get some.would you know what size they are,bream/bass/whiting size?

i did have a decent clear popper but i lost it to the snags a couple weeks back. :mad3:

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Edited by fisher doi