Great Gear Doesn't Make The Fisherman!

DarkHorse

As I said in the title having some of the best fishing gear/boat does NOT maketh a good fisherman!

I have spent a small fortune on loomis rods, daiwa luvias reels, shimano aspire's, Lowrance HDS-7 sounders and a new Stacer Barra Elite with electric bow mount motor.

Can I catch fish................NO :mad3:

It is becoming a huge joke in my circle of friends and family that I spend all this time and money on fishing and can't catch anything LOL.

Might be time to hit up a guide?? Need to look at what I am not doing right instead of buying more gear hoping that it will help me to start catching regularly.

I have only caught one fish on a soft plastic, 55cm flatty on a DOA prawn and that was in god's own back yard Tuross Heads!

Oh well, maybe I should take up an easier hobby such as golf. I actually have a 5 handicap! IT TAKES ME 5 TIMES TO HIT THE BALL!

Regards,

Rob.

May all raiders have a safe and enjoyable Christmas and a great New Year. Take care and be happy!

i'm guessing you may need to upgrade to Millerods, Stellas, Exists etc :1prop:

I was like that when i first started fishing, it was always zilch. But now i come home with something decent.

A guide may help. Seeing people who knows what they're doing dramatically increases your knowledge. I've done it myself.

Just keep trying, it will eventually come. I've fished for 3 yrs non-stop before catching a kingfish

Mate definately hit up a harbour guide, that is the best money you can possibly spend!! Ask a million questions and then go out as soon as you can after it and do exactly the same thing. If you want to catch kings then do that with the charter, if you want to catch flatties or bream on lures then do that for the day...

Hey Darkhorse I feel your pain.

NO. I am not just saying it. I am past the stage of "at least your out there"

I am frustrated that I am not succeeding in this venture/hobby.

Yet I keep going. I think it is the fact that I am unable to accept failure.

Friends say I am a perfectionist when it comes to my work so I guess it is rubbing off on "fishing".

Maybe I just can't quit. Who knows. Maybe a therapist can help? :wacko:

Anyway, to all who do encourage me and who give me possitive feedback/info it is

GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Please keep it coming as this helps me get out there again and again and again..............................

My wife say's it is my obssessive compulsive disorder that I have.

I don't think so. So what if I count steps whenever I go up or down them.Does this make me crazy?

I think it is best I stop now as this is getting a bit to indepth for my and others liking.

Hope I did not offend anyone and cheers for now.

Clem :1prop:

....Oh well, maybe I should take up an easier hobby such as golf. I actually have a 5 handicap! IT TAKES ME 5 TIMES TO HIT THE BALL!.... :074::074:

Hi Rob - you have a good sense of humour & that helps!

I reckon that if you put the name of your town into your personal info bit, so other Raiders can see where you live, I bet you'd have heaps of Raiders putting their hands up to go out with you & give you a thumbs up on catching!! There will always be the odd day when you won't get anything decent, but most of our waterways should yield something to take home on most trips!

Have you checked out the "Articles'' section (top right hand corner of your screen, just above 'New Messages')? There is a wealth of information there, whether bait or lure fishing, even squid fishing! The article on Fishing the Flats is just terrific! It is now pretty well my favourite form of fishing! I go out for at least the last 2hrs before the top of the tide & fish until 2hrs after the tide has turned - if the fish are still biting, I may stay out longer! Being in the yak makes it easier to move around, with the area being so shallow, but with modern gear & light braid You could anchor on the edge of the channel & cast well into the shallows & still get fish! Aim at any structure. If there is a lone pole anywhere, cast to that - there is usually a fish or two holding there. Check the area out at low tide & note where the oyster outcrops & weedbeds are - on high tide, the fish will be hanging around there & also along the edges of weedbeds (and above the weed beds too on high tide!) There may only be 30mm of water above the ribbon weed, but the fish are hiding in the ribbon weed & will still hit a well presented popper or pencil.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-artic...tidal-flats.php

But the best way to become more confident in your fishing is by fishing with someone who is consistent in catching quality fish - when you got the flattie in Tuross - did you give Hodgey a yahoo??? I am sure he would have been only to happy to either go out with you, or at least put you onto 'the spot' for good flatties & bream! Most Raiders love sharing their own backyard with other Raiders! If you come up here to Forster, I'll go out with you! (Mind you, I have a shocking record when going out with others!! I rarely catch a thing! :074: ) Maybe I should just stay fishing as the Lone Raider!! :074:

Get the family to buy you the Squidgy DVDs for Xmas & watch them religiously! The last one with the 'pro range' is terrific - great info on all lure/sp fishing. Tape & watch the ABT series or any other fishing series, over & over. You pick up little tit bits all the time to 'finesse' your fishing.

Good luck & get out there!!!

Cheerio & a Merry Fishy Xmas to you & your family

Roberta

as everyone else has already stated just keep at it mate and dont stop.

i think everyone has gone through those stages as i know i have.

just keep pegging away and when you least expect it all will turn good and you will have the time of you life.

Merry Xmas to you too

Dave

You will not have to wait any longer :biggrin2: In the New Year,Fishraider will be running an ADOPT A NOVICE forum that will let advanced fishos help out novice fishos so that you will become competent at your chosen species.

Rgegards Swordfisherman

Wow!

What a top idea!!!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate all the good wishes.

Sounds as though Clem could be my twin brother!

I must admit I have watched ALL the squidgy and berkley DVD's but still hasnt helped. I understand the principles of what I am trying to do but to put it into practice on water is another thing, get out there and just start flicking left right and all over.

I wasn't bragging about having good gear, more to the point that you don't have to spend a small fortune to catch fish.

Having fished the NT and catching 1.1m barra regularly doent help either. Lived in Darwin for 2 years and catching fish was relatively easy. In fact we caught so much barra one day that we had to stop because our arms hurt so much!

Tight lines everyone!