Questionable Electrics

Dhutchy

Hi Raiders, motoring down the Manning River today, out of Taree, and my Humminbird failed several times, just shut down, it appeared to lose power. Plus my recirc pump for my bait tank just didn't fire up at all :05: However the boat (Quintrex 500 Freedomsport with 90hp two stroke) started no problem, each time every time.

My hunch says wiring or switching or battery, :( but I reckon battery (dual 12v - but several years old) is unlikely since boats overall performance seems fine.

Any suggestions?

Also, Raiders if you are wearing anything like CROCS on the main ramp at Taree, as I was today, expect to slip and probably fall as I did.

Many thanks to the two fishos who helped us retrieve the boat.

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps

Dhutchy The power to the moter is seperate to the accessories so it is possible for one to work & not the other.

First , check the connections at the battery & battery switch to ensure the are clean & tight but it sounds like a loose connection for either the positive or negative at the terminal block.

The terminal block , normally mounted under the dash near the switch pannel , has 2 posts where the power from the battery is connected then distruibited to the switch pannel.

Check all the other connections under the dash to ensure the are tight but suspect it will be the terminal block

If these are found to be tight , check the fuses

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Dhutchy The power to the moter is seperate to the accessories so it is possible for one to work & not the other.

First , check the connections at the battery & battery switch to ensure the are clean & tight but it sounds like a loose connection for either the positive or negative at the terminal block.

The terminal block , normally mounted under the dash near the switch pannel , has 2 posts where the power from the battery is connected then distruibited to the switch pannel.

Check all the other connections under the dash to ensure the are tight but suspect it will be the terminal block

If these are found to be tight , check the fuses

Geoff

Thanks Geoff and Mr Rob for your suggestions... I will follow your advice. Checking the battery is easy as, but the electrics behind my dash is a bit spaghetti-like. Geoff, checking fuses, is it just a matter of pulling them apart and sight checking or is it a multimeter job. I reckon you might be right with fuse/terminal block, I will keep you posted...

Thanks again

Dhutchy

• 8 months later...

Thanks Geoff and Mr Rob for your suggestions... I will follow your advice. Checking the battery is easy as, but the electrics behind my dash is a bit spaghetti-like. Geoff, checking fuses, is it just a matter of pulling them apart and sight checking or is it a multimeter job. I reckon you might be right with fuse/terminal block, I will keep you posted...

Thanks again

Dhutchy

Just wondering if you found out what the problem was with your electrics... i've had similar problems... my live tank and bilge pump won't work while my engine is running, and the other evening while we were on the way back in darkness my nav lights and sounder all cut out, so i turned them all off for a min or so then they all worked again...

I've only got a single battery in my Stacer Nomad 469 (2007) for the 50hp 2stroke Merc, has a live tank and bottom end Navman sounder.

Shouldn't i be able to run around with Live pump, bilge pump, nav lights, and sounder running all at the same time.

I'm still in my first year of boat ownership so this is all pretty new.

I always thought it would all work similar to a car... eg, car running, with a/c on and radio going powering the GPS/charging phone...

Dhutchy, As Geoff and Rob saidIt is probably one of the posts loose,or the terminal block.

I had the same prob a couple of months ago,run new wires to 3 way switch

and forgot to tighten a wing nut.

Simple AS.

cheers Rick.

Just wondering if you found out what the problem was with your electrics... i've had similar problems... my live tank and bilge pump won't work while my engine is running, and the other evening while we were on the way back in darkness my nav lights and sounder all cut out, so i turned them all off for a min or so then they all worked again...

I've only got a single battery in my Stacer Nomad 469 (2007) for the 50hp 2stroke Merc, has a live tank and bottom end Navman sounder.

Shouldn't i be able to run around with Live pump, bilge pump, nav lights, and sounder running all at the same time.

I'm still in my first year of boat ownership so this is all pretty new.

I always thought it would all work similar to a car... eg, car running, with a/c on and radio going powering the GPS/charging phone...

G'day JET01, boat electrics are a rule unto themslves and once the gremlins start happening, if you are a novice its almost worthwhile cutting to the chase and finding a "good" sparky (boat electrician) and getting it fixed.

I am like you mate, relatively new at boating and I wouldn't rate myself as a sparky at all. Boat wiring, batteries, and electrics are always going to be tricky because they are exposed to a harsh salt laden envrionment, the connections get thumped around, batteries sometimes dont run as often as they should, and we don't replace fuses until we have to.

Also, the wiring in a boat, or at least in my boat, just doesn't look straight forward.

My problems are pretty much solved. But this was after using a battery checker, multi meter and a continutity test with a light, and checking cables, connections and fuses, and output from the battery. Eventually i traced the problem to a faulty fuse or two. It was around that time also I replaced my bait tank pump. Also, my humminbird sound is removable, so I took it out and cleaned all the connections. And after all that things are working.

My only prob now is that I have installed a GME 300 marine radio, which has been verifed by the factory as working, but I can't get the damn thing to receive.

Good Luck - remember check all the conections, fuses, outputs, and hopefuully the process of eliminuation will produce the error.

Cheers

Dhutchy

Hi Raiders, motoring down the Manning River today, out of Taree, and my Humminbird failed several times, just shut down, it appeared to lose power. Plus my recirc pump for my bait tank just didn't fire up at all :05: However the boat (Quintrex 500 Freedomsport with 90hp two stroke) started no problem, each time every time.

My hunch says wiring or switching or battery, :( but I reckon battery (dual 12v - but several years old) is unlikely since boats overall performance seems fine.

Any suggestions?

Also, Raiders if you are wearing anything like CROCS on the main ramp at Taree, as I was today, expect to slip and probably fall as I did.

Many thanks to the two fishos who helped us retrieve the boat.

Rgds

Dhutchy

Sounds like wiring/fuse fault to thoes components only.Test all fuses with a meter even if they look good they can have no continuity.Look out for 'dry joints' that is when cables join but due to high ressistance[poor connection] no current can pass.

Regards Stu.