Honeymoon Kings In Paihia Part 2

davegroves68

Hi all,

back in Sydney now after a few weeks away getting wed. And finally got around to uploading some pics of a great session on the Kings in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand.

We headed out on my 3rd charter in Paihia at 6am and went straight to a spot called rocky Point after no more than 15 mins collecting yakkas.

15mins and with 3 of us fishing i had the first of what turned out to be about 20 kings of the day. The other guys had similar hauls. The first went about 80cms and as i was in a good mood i released it. That paid off as they then kept coming. Third fish of my day was a real fore arm burner, took what seemed like 15mins to bring to the boat and went a whopping 1metre 7cms. A fat bugger too. Once we cleaned it it provided us with 2 large squid which we used successfully for bait, as we were catching undersize ones on every drop later and ran out of livies.

post-10917-1262163834_thumb.jpg

The bites went quiet for no more than 15 minutes before all hell broke lose again. We were using circle hooks which took some getting used to as you don't strike and just let the rod load up. A bit strange to me but Very effective . Even Steve the skipper got into them, he really new his stuff(recommended by fellow Raiders, thanks).

post-10917-1262164265_thumb.jpg

We all got fish near or over 1metre and we all took back a great feed. But we also released heaps, so the fishery there is very healthy. And it is a beautiful part of the world.

post-10917-1262164516_thumb.jpg

post-10917-1262164570_thumb.jpg

I even learned a few tips on getting live bait and even how to pin them infront of the dorsal. Tho i can't remember if he said left to right or right to left, (it stops tangles).

post-10917-1262164876_thumb.jpg

This was the biggest of the day :thumbup: I was well happy.

A Big thankyou has to go to my new wife who let me go fishing on our honeymoon :thumbup::wife:

And lastly i thought i should post the BEST catch of my life. Davinia .

post-10917-1262165659_thumb.jpg

We are also expecting our first little fisherman/girl in March.

Cheers All,

Have a great New years eve and may the fishing Gods be kind to you in 2010 :beersmile::yahoo:

Dave, the Welshman.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

Hi all,

back in Sydney now after a few weeks away getting wed. And finally got around to uploading some pics of a great session on the Kings in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand.

We headed out on my 3rd charter in Paihia at 6am and went straight to a spot called rocky Point after no more than 15 mins collecting yakkas.

15mins and with 3 of us fishing i had the first of what turned out to be about 20 kings of the day. The other guys had similar hauls. The first went about 80cms and as i was in a good mood i released it. That paid off as they then kept coming. Third fish of my day was a real fore arm burner, took what seemed like 15mins to bring to the boat and went a whopping 1metre 7cms. A fat bugger too. Once we cleaned it it provided us with 2 large squid which we used successfully for bait, as we were catching undersize ones on every drop later and ran out of livies.post-10917-1262163834_thumb.jpg

The bites went quiet for no more than 15 minutes before all hell broke lose again. We were using circle hooks which took some getting used to as you don't strike and just let the rod load up. A bit strange to me but Very effective . Even Steve the skipper got into them, he really new his stuff(recommended by fellow Raiders, thanks).post-10917-1262164265_thumb.jpg

We all got fish near or over 1metre and we all took back a great feed. But we also released heaps, so the fishery there is very healthy. And it is a beautiful part of the world.post-10917-1262164516_thumb.jpg post-10917-1262164570_thumb.jpg

I even learned a few tips on getting live bait and even how to pin them infront of the dorsal. Tho i can't remember if he said left to right or right to left, (it stops tangles).

post-10917-1262164876_thumb.jpg This was the biggest of the day :thumbup: I was well happy.

A Big thankyou has to go to my new wife who let me go fishing on our honeymoon :thumbup::wife:

And lastly i thought i should post the BEST catch of my life. Davinia . post-10917-1262165659_thumb.jpg We are also expecting our first little fisherman/girl in March.

Cheers All,

Have a great New years eve and may the fishing Gods be kind to you in 2010 :beersmile::yahoo:

Dave, the Welshman.