Excellent Aerial Views

mrmoshe

Take a look at this site called NearMap which is similar to Google Earth

but better resolution and updated regularly.

Being aerial photographs, rather than satellite pics..it's just way better resolution.

You can see dropoffs and weedbeds really well and also has a terrain button that shows the bottom

in Sydney fishing areas really well.

Worth bookmarking for sure.

Just click on the Private user button to begin with.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Pete.

hmmmm - I cant seem to zoom in well at all!! Do you have to click anything else?? It is all pixilated & isn't even a real close up!

Roberta

Roberta you need to give it awlie to clear up, the closer you go in the longer it will take.

Thanks for that Snag - I will try again! Tho I sat there waiting for what seemd 'quite a while' (to me!) I thought maybe they didn't like Macs!! :(

Roberta

hehe I have the patience to sit in the yak for hours waiting to hook a fish, but can't wait 5 mins for a pic to clear!! :1prop:

Nope - it is not happening!! Can you have a go at zooming in to Wallis Island & see how close you can get it 'clearly'? I've waited 5 mins & it doesn't happen!

Edited by Roberta

I think I see the problem Roberta.

It looks like it's just the capital cities that are in hi res.

and everywhere else is lo res.(most probably from satellite images)

If you zoom out to a wide shot of the east coast..you see Sydney had a "grey" overlay over

it..I think this is the hi res. stuff and all around that is lo res.

It can take an eternity to load the hi res. ones sometimes but worth the effort

in the long run.

Cheers,

Pete.

• 1 month later...

This is a brilliant resource, they keep updating their maps of some areas so its definitely worth checking back a few times a month!

For example you can switch between maps taken of Botany Bay & surrounding areas like Taren point etc on 22nd January (latest) 8th January 2010 and 14th November 09

Also depending on your zoom level you can select maps from even much further back, eg zoom out far enough over the bay and you can view images from as far back as 1972! its amazing watching how much changes over a given area (such as them building the port extension etc)

maps of Sydney Harbour were updated on the 22nd too

Take a look at this site called NearMap which is similar to Google Earth

but better resolution and updated regularly.

.....Just click on the Private user button to begin with.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Pete.

I've only got a major conflict here it looks like it's not as clear as a bell to be able to find anything, what do you click on to begin with to be able to click on private user button to start off with and then where do you find water?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I've only got a major conflict here it looks like it's not as clear as a bell to be able to find anything, what do you click on to begin with to be able to click on private user button to start off with and then where do you find water?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

G'day Byron,

You only need to click the private user button the first time you log on to the site by the looks of it.(it must put a cookie on your machine I presume)

As I posted earlier, not all areas are in high resolution and may appear blurry. The high res areas

are very clear and you can zoom in very close, even on water areas where it's hi res.

Take a look at the "help" button as it explains quite a lot about what's new etc. and there's also a forum if you need it to get more help.

While it's not perfect, it's a better site in my opinion as their aerial pix are updated regularly and it also has a function to see changes from older pix to the latest pix and you can see the difference.

It also seems very slow to load on occasions..maybe they have a crappy server.

Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers,

Pete.

You are right , it is so much better than earth . The only thing is our privacy is getting less & less as council can see every little thing that changes in your home . Great for some one looking for a new boat to find at your home . Thanks Pete