Harbour Kingy Mission Sat 2/1/2010

southerly

What a difference a day makes, yesterday I got a few rats, a trevally and got mobbed by pickers, today no pickers. Picked up two small southerns early to go with the squid I caught on the way home yesterday. Pulled up near a Dan&greg, Hookem, Laurie and a couple other boats, water was blue and oceanic, wonderful for the harbour! Decided to strip up the live squid to make it go further, put the squid head down and got hit immediately, the fish took 20mtrs of 20lb braid first up, then gave me 5 before taking another 10, then another ten, I was dragged up the boats, around the boats and off into the wild blue yonder. After a solid fight 86cm of king comes into the yak, yippee first yak legal king for 2010.

post-3697-1262421490_thumb.jpg

Reset the drift dropped the other fresh squid head down and up came a rat, stripped up the 2 fresh squid and caught a couple more rats, then a fish I called for a good king but turned out to be a big salmon, gee it went hard maybe 10mtrs down was a freightening place this morning. Certainly the yakkers dropped by the boaters went nuts and usally got smashed on the way down.

post-3697-1262421510_thumb.jpg

On to the first of my fridge squid heads and I hook up again to a better fish, this one went 75cm. A couple more rats, then a very tentative bite followed by some docile headshakes after I set the hook that I call for another rat, then it takes off and fights doggedly for 10 odd minutes and into the boat comes a 80cm model.

post-3697-1262421525_thumb.jpg

They didn't quite fit in the hatch.

post-3697-1262421547_thumb.jpg

That was enough fish for me, so I packed up and headed home to be in my driveway by 9am. The boats also got a few legals at a ratio of 1:3 which is far better than my usualy 1:100 tally. Whole live arrows were mostly ignored, the boats used yakkas to good effect. No sign of yesterdays pickers. Picked up another southern on the way home for tomorrow.

All my legal kings were caught on squid heads, none on squid strips.

post-3697-1262421566_thumb.jpg

David

Edited by southerly

Hey Dave!

Was sensational seeing you being towed about by those kings! I know Kelly had a few laughs. She has never witnessed a kayak under king power before. Pity we didnt get more yakkas,,,, the biggest kings out there today feel to them. Greg landed several in the 80-95cm range. I didnt manage a legal but got smoked badly on max drag on a live yakka on the drop. What a great day!!!!!!

Dan

What a difference a day makes, yesterday I got a few rats, a trevally and got mobbed by pickers, today no pickers. Picked up two small southerns early to go with the squid I caught on the way home yesterday. Pulled up near a Dan&greg, Hookem, Laurie and a couple other boats, water was blue and oceanic, wonderful for the harbour! Decided to strip up the live squid to make it go further, put the squid head down and got hit immediately, the fish took 20mtrs of 20lb braid first up, then gave me 5 before taking another 10, then another ten, I was dragged up the boats, around the boats and off into the wild blue yonder. After a solid fight 86cm of king comes into the yak, yippee first yak legal king for 2010.

post-3697-1262421490_thumb.jpg

Reset the drift dropped the other fresh squid head down and up came a rat, stripped up the 2 fresh squid and caught a couple more rats, then a fish I called for a good king but turned out to be a big salmon, gee it went hard maybe 10mtrs down was a freightening place this morning. Certainly the yakkers dropped by the boaters went nuts and usally got smashed on the way down.

post-3697-1262421510_thumb.jpg

On to the first of my fridge squid heads and I hook up again to a better fish, this one went 75cm. A couple more rats, then a very tentative bite followed by some docile headshakes after I set the hook that I call for another rat, then it takes off and fights doggedly for 10 odd minutes and into the boat comes a 80cm model.

post-3697-1262421525_thumb.jpg

They didn't quite fit in the hatch.

post-3697-1262421547_thumb.jpg

That was enough fish for me, so I packed up and headed home to be in my driveway by 9am. The boats also got a few legals at a ratio of 1:3 which is far better than my usualy 1:100 tally. Whole live arrows were mostly ignored, the boats used yakkas to good effect. No sign of yesterdays pickers. Picked up another southern on the way home for tomorrow.

All my legal kings were caught on squid heads, none on squid strips.

post-3697-1262421566_thumb.jpg

David

hey david,We saw you at quaratine head on new year day at yellow marker. I was the one cool runnings boat half cabin fibreglass I ask you what bait you using.I didnt know your a fishraider nice to meet you congrats on those 3 kingfish cheers bangus :thumbup::1fishing1:

Edited by bangus

Good stuff,

We were anchored up about 20 metres from you, great action for all, at one stage everywhere you looked there was a rob bent over and the sound of a screaming reel. We managed 1 in the boat to 88cm and got dusted by 5, some real bruisers around. Unstoppable on light gear (8kg). The larger yakkas worked a treat for us.

Mick

Thats 1 awesome fishing session.

I have only landed 1 legal kingy from the yak in the past year.

Looks like its time to leave to boat at home and try from the yak very soon.

Were you in Middle harour ?

Cheers,

Jeff