Hawkesbury Jewfish Session On Saturday 2-1-2010 5pm-2.30am- Jewgaffer-cungee George-plus One In The Bow

jewgaffer

Hi Mate, I just saw your great picture of the jewies you caught. We are heading out to the Hawkesbury in 2 weeks and would really appreciate it if you could recommend any spots, as the past month we have only caught rubbish (catfish and eels)

Hi Mate, I just saw your great picture of the jewies you caught. We are heading out to the Hawkesbury in 2 weeks and would really appreciate it if you could recommend any spots, as the past month we have only caught rubbish (catfish and eels)

Hi koolcat :1welcomeani: thanks for the comments, it's actually motivation for us to see if we can do well at our next session which will be on this coming Friday...

Perhaps start off and be anchored off Cowan Point opposite Little Jeruslem Bay as the sun comes up from as soon as the tide has fully turned to run in...There is a good possibility of there being enough action right there as the new water starts to sweep into Cowan...This means as you enter into the eastern side of Cowan watch were the water spreads by dropping a match into the sweep.. That being in no way the end all can determine the better balance I think as to which side of Cowan you should fish off first..i.e. off the near side of the entrance into Jerusulem Bay or the Cowan point side...

When you look at it, the eastern side is a natural flow as such and moreso in a north easterly aspect on the Barrenjoey side of the entrance pushing water into the entrance to the Hawkesbury.. so think about the advantages of perhaps fishing in Cowan rather than starting off up river from the eastern entrance at that stage of a downriver session..

You are likely to find lots of tailor schools regularly coming with the run in tide t early in the morning and there should also enough other species to keep you occupied using a mixture of natural bait...Those would either be the fish that come out of the bays and hang around on the southern points or cross over and wait for food or the schools of fish that run thru that side or on the cottage point side. So just see what the best balance looks like by going on the direction of water spread

It might be an idea to have the biggest baits out on good quality 3/0s and run fillets or long joined strips of arrow squid as wide as you can wherever you see the water appear to swing out of the channel and look as though it is dissipating or spreading over sand as that may make some different to your chances of catching flathead and jewfish which would surely be inclined to sweat on an area such as that on a run in tide early in the morning...

It would be an idea to move over the other side of the main river say 300 yards off the white poles in the curve bewteen Juno and the next point up river and anchor there and wait with your jew baits out on 5/0s this time as soon as the peckers come on.. That area also is known to work ok during the mid part of a run in tide to the top of the tide...From the top of the tide down the centre of road bridge can work well if you happen to strike a school when anchored over the sand about 150 yards out, would also be quite handy to Mooney Mooney boat ramp if you plan a day session to coincide with these particular tides

Hope this helps get you started Koolcat until you get used to waiting in proven spots just long enough to see whether big baits get early attention or not and then decide whether you should move or not..

Hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

thats some great advice you gave to koolcat byron,good onya mate.like always,your so forth coming with info like that.im sure if other raiders follow what you said about cowan,theyr sure to come up trumps.

i cant wait til i go out with you & george to learn from the jewfish masters.

good luck tomorrow with geoff & george,im sure you guys will produce the good once again.

cheers johnny :beersmile::thumbup:

p.s.sorry about my phone cutting out on you,my house has the worst mobile reception.talk again soon mate. :beersmile:

....p.s.sorry about my phone cutting out on you,my house has the worst mobile reception.talk again soon mate. :beersmile:

John, George said to wish you a Happy New Year....

By the way this phone situation of yours is more than hopeless when we need you in a hurry that's for sure.

Cheers mate

....Would be good to catch up again soon, it's been a very long time.

Cheers

Tony

Howdy stranger :thumbup: Tony, give Steve a call and I'll leave it to you make arrangements... We'll meet up at Steve's and launch at Bayview this time..all under control mate start lining up a day over the next couple of weekends

Cheers

Byron

Top work, some decent fish makes it worthwhile stickinh out the nasty weather.

top stuff Jewie, you certainly live up to your nick name.

Im at nabiac tonight and will be at hawks nest sunday, will be back home on the 17th.

I mangaged to nab 27 flathead in 1 & 1/2 hour fishing. followed by 13 snapper in the afternoon sesh and six flaties this morning, will post them sunday or monday.

Good to see you back on the water :thumbup: