Hawkesbury Jewfish Session On Saturday 2-1-2010 5pm-2.30am- Jewgaffer-cungee George-plus One In The Bow

jewgaffer

Hi Raiders.

Hawkesbury Jewfish Session Saturday 2-1-10 Jewgaffer-Cungee George-Plus One In The Bow Area:

It was certainly an interesting first session on Saturday for me in more ways than one after having my back operation in April last year - and brought ten jewfish into my boat in the attrocious weather conditions, which were the result of the two separate storm fronts that hit the Sydney area on Saturday night, and brought along with it drenching rain driven hard by the big southerly winds hardly giving us any night vision whatsover and only some relief at 2AM in the morning on the way back.

Fished the run in tide from the start of the run out tide stillwater around 5.30PM through until approximately 2AM in this morning.

We fished through two southerly storm fronts winds with the biggest storm giving us a thorough drenching around midnight for over an hour before the big late tide started to run out....

Having the choice, I had decided to fish deep early and stay there and fish out in the open in full current during the two metre tide.

I will post up more details of the locations, the hook up times and the barometric pressure etc for that period in a reply later, as tomorrow, i.e. Monday, my good friend Davemmm and I will having an earlier start in the Hawkesbury and should be able to fish the mouth area and Dave and myself will fish a general session and will be able to then spend more time on the jewfish than we did last year..

Here are some photos of last nights session for now..

EDIT pics up now

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

post-829-1262559805_thumb.jpg

post-829-1262559906_thumb.jpg

The Bow helper for the day, Chris AKA Jewdreamer

post-829-1262562804_thumb.jpg

post-829-1262562223_thumb.jpg

post-829-1262560745_thumb.jpg

post-829-1262560922_thumb.jpg

post-829-1262561018_thumb.jpg

Georges double hookup with blueswimmer attached

post-829-1262562628_thumb.jpg

Highlight of the day was this young bloke squidding at the ramp at 3.00am with his brother and dad. Rugged up in overcoats he landed this small taylor on a squidjig.

post-829-1262561121_thumb.jpg

Edited by jewgaffer

hi byron,that storm front sure was a bugger as i was doing some last minute mods to boat before heading out when it hit..

after we spoke sat night we ended up under the spit bridge as it was drizzling for quite a while so had a good cookup and rest as we already had tankfull of squid.

ill post that pic ya sent...

post-2219-1262555434_thumb.jpg

sounded like a good session if ya take away the rain issues...

talk later im off shortly to find all those rats we threw back yesterday :074: .

good luck with dave..

cheers...steve......

top stuff jewgaffer and crew

i seen yas out there i was in a 4.2 m quintrex with a stainless steel side console with a 2005 model 25hp mercury outboard

top stuff on your haul i was trying to get to the bait grounds earlier at about 530 then seen that massive wall of cloud and storm

so i decided to race it to patonga with the rain hot on my heels (literally)

didnt it hammer down

was a pretty bad idea though as when after i beached my boat i came back to find her full of water and weed

took ages to clean out

might go try and venture to westhead this afternoon

how is the weather and seas out there today

cheers mate

Well Done on the great Catch! looks like you were well rewarded for puting up with the ugly weather.

I was out at Juno, until the first Storm rains became visible on the water, with my 8yr old onboard I curltailed it back to under the F3 Bridge, nearly landing on the Mud banks on the way (due to near zero visibility). After the first storm passed I headed out to Flat Rock, then a drift for some Bread & Butter varieties.

Expecting the Southerly (and my boat, not handling the chop very well), ended up back under the F3 Bridges until just after 1am.... caught a big fat ZILCH!

Glad you guys did so well! .... :mad3: and i so wish I had stayed out longer in the lower reaches!!

George's smile was a bit lost in the previous pic's so lightened up the photo a bit

post-731-1262570705_thumb.jpg

Also gave the double hook up plus the crab photo a bit of adjustment

post-731-1262570998_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Hey Byron,

thanks for a great day out.

It was Fantastic to watch the masters at work, you and George really have it figured out.

You were certainly right about the rain :1badmood: I have only been rained on that hard twice in my life!

Best of luck on your trip with Dave today..

Kindest regards

Chris... the Bow Helper!

well done byron - the signs are all there for a bumper jew season. at the moment they are firing in the hawkesbury, harbour and georges. I rekon there would be a fair chance of bagging a couple at my old stomping grounds around wisemans at the moment also, even though traditionally april/may is the best time, with so many around it wouldnt surprise me at all to get em up there.

Good on you for getting the boys onto some fish!

pete.

Nice haul, Byron. Looks like the lower Hawkesbury is fishing well. I did it tough in the Wisemans area over the last 8 days... only managing small flathead and a couple of soapies. I know what you mean about those storms... a doozy came over the escarpment at the windsock on Saturday arvo... the :wife: and I had an interesting ride back to the van! I have to fit a windscreen wiper, cos that rain almost cut my eyes to shreds when I tried to look over the windscreen! :05:

Baz

I have to fit a windscreen wiper, cos that rain almost cut my eyes to shreds when I tried to look over the windscreen! :05:

Baz

Dang right there! I was praying there wasn't going to be any hail in that stuff!

even without Hail ...that wet stuff was close to slicing eyeballs open!

Byron, was clearly rewarded!!! Good on him & crew!!

Greg

(Think I'll go sign up as a deckie on his other thread now.............I Neeeed help!!!)

George's smile was a bit lost in the previous pic's so lightened up the photo a bit

Also gave the double hook up plus the crab photo a bit of adjustment

Geoff

Thanks for that Geoff the photos certainly look a lot clearer.

Cheers

PS Geoff I can't find my mobile to get your number, so at this stage I won't be able to call you about the arrangements we made to give the Webster a run in the Hawkesbury on Friday ...Anyway George happened to call me at home tonight (he was still out on Botany Bay) and said thanks for the invite and he would be quite happy to pick me up and come along and be at your place by 7am..... Geoff in case you hadn't intended to call me before Friday, give me a call at home tomorrow any time after 10am...Byron

well done byron - the signs are all there for a bumper jew season. at the moment they are firing in the hawkesbury, harbour and georges.

Thanks for the encouragement Peter apart from the session with George and John aka Dogtooth it's been over twelve months since I fished in a boat and that includes my own boat....We seemed to strike two totally different schools of jewfish on Saturday night after I decided to fish out in the open in the king tide. The way I see it now these two jewfish schools were heading upriver to chase the colours lines as they certainly wouldn't be any jewfish holding there for two long in that sort of current even in the small reef behind us where nothing but oversize green toads and cat fish were caught...When we opened up all of the seven jewfish that we kept only one had any food at all in its stomach and that was a solitary whitebait....

We roasted in the humidity of the day and moreso during the first lot of rain and then we were subject to a freezing cold change for which we took plenty of spare warm clothing to put on and we were bounced around a bit and got a thorough drenching even with the bimini up when the second southerly hit but we had managed to get jewdreamer to let out 100 metres of rope plus five metres of chain and we held well in the whites as the second lot of jewfish came thru and the boat kept dry as the water coming out of the bilge tasted fresh.

Peter don't be surprised if bigger jewfish come up to the Wisemans area when the January weather becomes nicer and less humid during the day with just that bit of normal summer cool in the air that brings with it a nicer atsmosphere to be out during the nights

Cheers

Nice haul fellows. Forgive me if i'm wrong but isn't the legal size for jewies 75cm, witch would make all yours in the pic undersize!

Hi bog6on As I said before when you asked about fishing your boat at Flint as Steel, you have an advantage there in owning a tinny with a little 5hp on it, rather than not being sure of the size of jewfish you can catch up there, I'd keep on concentrating on fishing all the likely looking spots in Calabash Bay using different size rigs and baits in deep water for starters. Look at it this way, on the weekends Calabash Bay can be like one spot shopping or a popular restaurant car park for boats launching at Berowra and in the summer ten thousand blow flies can't be wrong :D

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

PS Geoff I can't find my mobile to get your number, so at this stage I won't be able to call you about the arrangements we made to give the Webster a run in the Hawkesbury on Friday ...Anyway George happened to call me at home tonight (he was still out on Botany Bay) and said thanks for the invite and he would be quite happy to pick me up and come along and be at your place by 7am..... Geoff in case you hadn't intended to call me before Friday, give me a call at home tomorrow any time after 10am...Byron

Byron That sounds fine , will be great to have George along.

Have sent you a mail with weather & tide details for Friday

Regards

Geoff