Another Great Kingy Adventure Sunday 10th Jan

roosterman

Hi guys,

Well after our last great trip out last week i was itching to back up again.

Unfortunately i got real crook and 4 days wasted in bed on holidays instead of fishing.. :thumbdown: ...

Sat felt much better (thank god for penicillin) so plans were made and gear packed for another hunt for a Sydney hoody king first light sunday.

Picked my newbie mate up who has one decent bream just under a kilo he caught with me few weeks ago as his huge brag fish ...

got about 20 livies then headed outside again. went straight to my lucky mark from previous trip and deployed the bombs. As we neared i told him watch the rod ..........BANG.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

it goes on a screaming run,i start bringing bomb up as he is getting hammered by this fish.

He did unreal and followed my leads of pump/wind down steer left/right/turn that drag a little etc.

His winding down was very erratic sloppy and too much but ill let him off on that one lol

This is a real good fish so i pull the other rigger/rod up and soon we get colour,mmmm very nice i get net while some very tense moments(not that my mate was aware how close he came to losing it) it was under boat then near motor(i lifted it just in time) then as it swam out and i had net i thought ,bugger should of got gaf..

No time for that he swam straight enough i got enough of him in and aboard he came...

Wooooohoooooo :yahoo: ,we were stoked hi 5’s and my mate

Just couldn’t believe what he was just put through. he went just under 90cm ,not bad start to ya kingy career.. :1clap:

Deploy baits again and instantly, didn’t even get slack up.im on. this thing pulled a little drag but was only 64.6cm so back he went..my mates jaw dropped....what do ya mean it was toooo small,it was huge. :1fish: ha.ha. i told him be thankful that was not his first as you got spoilt on a trophy sized one . :074:

Well this went on for a while with a few just under/overs .

They were pretty much all fighting above their weight this day again...

Have others experienced this lately???????

Also all very thick so i think they are well fed.

We had a couple of smokings ,one where my tekota 600 with 50lb braid got hammered,woo hoo im on strike,i give it to it but it just keeps going.

I get my mate to steer away pulling all gear up i lock up to turn him.. zzzzzzz.....zzzzz.....zzzzzz............................... his turned then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz off againby now gears up were moving and im struggling to keep a working curve keeping my footing..just as im about to back drag right off and chase him down getting another angle POP i nearly go flying....

Yes that loud expletives you heard all the way to NZ was me sorry......

I really thought i was in with a chance but on a positive note this silly bugger musta wend sideways not down as it was a clean pop way up my line with no other signes..maybe a weak spot in braid ??

Anyways back into it a few more rats then near the end of our session we get another good one similar to the first at just under 87cm..

Not official hoody status but def up there for the fight they gave us..

All fish caught on yakkas.

You don’t have to fish with the crowds either,the kings are moving around alot and we were getting hook-ups while the crowds were gathered and only every now and then as schools swam through..

Anyway heres a pic of the 2 good ones we kept..

post-2219-1263293266_thumb.jpg

Cheers...steve.....

Good on ya Roosterman - thats some good fishing.

My new years resolution is only locked up drags from now on... I'm fed up of getting dusted!

Can i ask what depth you had your riggers down at?

theres 2 ways to play big fish,softly softly get outa way of structure change angles etc or just lock up and prey hooks dont pull,gear stays together and a bucketfull of luck i recon....

another good one is plane them up by speeding boat up,again prey hooks stay stuck....

i ran the riggers from 35ft - 50ft.

hope this helps....

cheers....steve.....

Excellent work Steve, there is certainly some decent size kingfish among the fish you've been catching lately :thumbup: ... I'll bet your newbie mate will be soon wanting to go back for more and more all the time now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some photos up ver ysoon of each of you holding a twenty odd kilo specimum caught just inside the heads..

Nice effort mate

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: