First Blackie From The Cliff

fishythings

I have been trying to catch blackfish using standard fishing technique for blackfish as described in the articles for months with no avail.

This morning my friends and I went to South Coogee fishing from the cliff.

It was cloudy and a bit shower, running in and barometer was rising from 1016 to 1020

Today I caught my first blackie 37cm using big float on white bread.

I used a whippy rod 12ft long, 4000 size reel, 12lb main line monofilament with 10lb 50cm fluorocarbon leader.

I thought either the rod or the line might get snapped as the blackie ran like a torpedo sinking to the bottom of the ocean at a 40meter deep cliff. But I managed to tire the fish as I did not lock the reel drag that what I learnt from this helpful website.

When I managed to pull the fish out of water, I got another problem winding the reel. I had to get my friend to pull the line while I wound the reel handle.

Another 20 minutes I caught the 36cm black trevally, but this one fought a bit lighter.

I’ll try to attach the picture.

Andy

post-8176-1263465081_thumb.jpg

You can get good pigs from there in the cooler months. If you are going to fish for black fish you will need to get an Alvey or similar. Just winch them up. it will also help with the drift control of you float.

You can get good pigs from there in the cooler months. If you are going to fish for black fish you will need to get an Alvey or similar. Just winch them up. it will also help with the drift control of you float.

Thanks for your advice. I've got one Alvey reel model 600B, will it be enough to do the job from the high cliff?

Cheers,

Andy

you mite want to try bear island at la parouse ive seen alot of people catching loads of blackies there and the odd gropers

I think it is too risky to fish blackfish at Bare Island, La Perouse as the big swell can come to wash you out to the ocean anytime.

Thanks anyway for your advice.

Andy

i spose but generally in the day time (even on a windy day) people were even taing wedding photos there i know about that big wave that comes in occasionally but yet to have seen it but that is also the same as any other rock fishing i would say :)