Help With Dismantling

Juzza

Ok lets see if you guys can understand what im trying to explain without a pic =\

My reel is a daiwa tierra 2000 spinning reel. This is my first time giving it a complete strip down and clean. This is the dilemma.

Iv gotten to the stage where i need to take the shaft out, theres a casing which is screwed ontop of the reel that prevents the shaft from being taken out. The problem is i cant unscrew it! The screws are small and sturdy as well as being tightened to an extent that its impossible to manually unscrew them.

Any insight to this matter?

Justin :1fishing1:

G'day justin,

I've never opened up a Tierra and I can't find schematics on-line anywhere but from my TD Sol I'm guessing you're talking about this (the clutch bearing retaining plate)

post-6175-1265577179_thumb.jpg

or this (the shaft bearing retaining plate)

post-6175-1265577189_thumb.jpg

To remove the shaft, you'll have to remove both and as you can see from the second pic, I had problems with one of the screws the first time too. All I can suggest is making sure you've got the perfect sized precision screwdriver, give the screw heads a spray with Innox or WD40, and back out the screws... carefully. Pushing inwards as you attempt to undo the screw will reduce the chance of you stripping the head.

The only other thing I can think of (I've never tried this) might be to get an aerosol can of compressed air (Officeworks has them) and using the plastic extension tube, carefully spray the screw heads for a while. The compressed air comes out freezing cold so it might (it's only a theory) loosen them slightly.

If you stuff the screws, the only option would be to probably drill them out!! Something you'll want to avoid.

Cheers, Slinky

I've never used this method on a fishing reel but......

Hold correct sized screwdriver into screw, turn the lot upside down & tap the end of the screw driver onto a bench. I would say just hit the screwdriver with a hammer but if you are holding it in your hand there will probably be too much give in your hand for the blow to be effective & if you place reel on bench & hit screwdriver with a hammer you might damage the reel.

The impact of a good blow to the screw driver (Provided its well located in the screw) may loosen things up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Justin

And take lots of photos of each bit that you remove (before you remove it) ......... as even tho you THINK you will remember how it all goes back together again ......... sometimes, you don't! :wacko:

Good Luck! Slinky will help you out if you get stuck!!

Cheerio

Roberta