Quintrex 4.7M Bayhunter Caprice

Catchin Jack

Hi Raiders,

Looking at buying a quintrex bayhunter caprice 4.7m, it's a 1998 hull with a 50hp johnson 1997 model. The guy wants $13,500 for it,it'll need new axle and springs pretty soon, is it worth it?

Here's a photo of it.....

post-10101-126637851953_thumb.jpg

Boat comes with a Lawrance X25b sounder, 5 life jackets, fire extinguisher, anchor, spare wheel, nav lights, internal boat light, stainless steel bait board, bilge pump, canopy, 60L underfloor fuel tank, CB radio.

Outboard is a 50hp Johnson 2 stroke oil injected motor in very good condition with tilt and trim, has never given me any problems everything works fine. 180hrs approx on the motor.

Cheers,

Leo

Edited by Fezza

Mate it looks pretty clean and good to go for fishing.

If he can show ya evidence that he has serviced it over the years and ya can get him down say 1k or more it looks very good to me.

I have had two quintrex and i love em!

Mike

With some of the new "life jacket wearing rules" under discussion in NSW it might be worth looking for a boat 4.8m or longer ?

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/hys/Lifejacket_discussion_paper.pdf

I believe that similar rules have already been introduced in VIC and TAS.

That looks like a pretty big block 50hp. It might even be the same cubic capacity as a 60 or 70hp. In my opinion you would be much better with a 60-70hp on that boat.

Sometimes it can be worth paying a little extra, especially if it was a one owner rig or as Zenman has already mentioned it has full service history.

cheers

Rod

Edited by fishingrod

Hi, I would say that is a pretty fair price and as with any second hand rig it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but the boat is a good boat, it seems in good condition and that engine is the same engine as the 60/70HP so as strong as a 50HP gets and they run great if all is mechanically sound. I have seen alot worse boats that people have paid more for so I would not rule it out, see what his willing to sell for and then swing by with it and we can give a once over and as a Raider I would not charge you to see if she is a solid rig/engine combo.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, I would say that is a pretty fair price and as with any second hand rig it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but the boat is a good boat, it seems in good condition and that engine is the same engine as the 60/70HP so as strong as a 50HP gets and they run great if all is mechanically sound. I have seen alot worse boats that people have paid more for so I would not rule it out, see what his willing to sell for and then swing by with it and we can give a once over and as a Raider I would not charge you to see if she is a solid rig/engine combo.

Cheers,

Huey.

Cheers Huey, IF i get it i'll be stopping by, i'm mainly concerned for the compression, he did say it hasn't been serviced for 2 seasons but it looks ok.

Will prolly call you when on way back up coast and stop by on way through.

Cheers,

Leo

Hi, I bought my 475 bayhunter caprice with a millenium hull for a bit under that figure 4 or 5 months ago. It's a 2000 model, 70hp direct injected yammie with 100hrs, 1 owner, under floor fuel tank with all the bits and pieces. It was due for rego and a new battery and a service. The trailer was/is fine. The boat needed a bit of a tidy up but it's a great boat considering it's my first. Easy to handle, roomy and easy to launch/retrive (except in the wind) on my own.

I have seen 2000 / 2001 model advertised for $17K+, so I am confident I got a good deal.

Good luck

We bought our Bayhunter Caprice just on a year ago. It is a 1999 hull sold early 2000 with a 70hp Yamaha 2-stroke. I had it checked by our local marine mechanic who pronounced it in excellent condition with all compulsory safety gear and good trailer. No work needed at all. It was like a new boat. Only the odd tiny scratch. I paid $16,000 and was very happy. I have seen them advertised by dealers for up to $20,000. So I think yours would be somewhere near the money for a boat in good condition. You can get them cheaper but you may have to factor in some extra fixing up costs.

But I agree with you in that it is a good first boat. It is our first and we love it. My wife loves driving it too.

mate id let it go. i would not pay more than $10k for that.

Like the rest have said, i used to own a 99 4.75m ally craft with a 50hp, and was not good at getting on the plane.

Like the rest have said a 60-70hp would be ideal.

Keep your eye out, plenty more will come on the market its just a matter of time and patience.

PS. Changing the axle, servicing wheel bearings, new ball bearing kit, grease, new wheel nuts, leaf springs U bolts, if your lucky doing it yourself you could get it done for $500ish. Getting someone else $700ish. I might be wrong, but parts alone when i did mine was $400 with no axle.

Allow for another $1000