Fishing Again At Avoca

Ray R

Hi Raiders, couldn't waste the day so I trekked around the rocks and set my bottom rig again in search of some finned critters.

The bonito strips again proved popular with all sorts, I caught 3 eagle rays today, a bream, and a tailor.

While the bottom rig was set I was playing with some little pigs on a smaller outfit that I simply rigged with a small sinker

and no 2 hook, a bit of the plentiful weed from the rocks and bingo instant pig, they were only 25-30 cms but they were fun while

I was waiting for a strike on the big rod.

I had a few runs from things and a few hook-ups the bream was nice and the eagle rays were smokin', the last one I caught was a

fairly big one, it had 3 biggish runs and had both hands on the big stick and leaning back into it, peeled line off then stopped

I get some line back and she would take off again gee it was fun. In the end I saw the beast, it was about a meter wide and there

was no way I could lift it so I just locked it up and snapped it off, I'll have a guess at 20kgs or more easy.

Anyway that was my Avoca bash, had a bit of fun with my camera again, so enjoy..

post-3371-126647545428_thumb.jpg

post-3371-12664755166_thumb.jpg

post-3371-12664757481_thumb.jpg

post-3371-126647555463_thumb.jpg

post-3371-126647557753_thumb.jpg

sounds like a fun sesh ray.awesome blue spots on those eagles.iv never hooked one but iv heard they go pretty hard.are they common,i usually get banjos,shovelnoses & normal type rays.iv also read & heard somewhere that eagle rays are pretty popular target in south oz,is that true,can any1 confirm this.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Great report Ray. :thumbup: However, it should have been titled "Ray catches ray!"

That Eagle Ray is an awesome looking beastie... the bream looks great too... what's that other big lump in the pic?

Cheers, Slinky

Great pics. Love the colours on the eagle & I reckon if I look close enough I can see a family resembelance between you & the bream!!

Cheers, Grant.

I can't believe that Slinky and Grant are having a go at you Ray. I would never do that ... however, I did notice something in the photos like Grant did.

Some people believe that owners and their pets sometimes resemble each other. Could it be that fishermen catch fish that resemble themselves ... Mmmm I wonder???

post-4381-126653710043_thumb.jpg

I'll say no more ...

Cheers

Peter

PS I must add that I myself catch heaps of butt-ugly flathead ... so what does that say about me??? :(

post-4381-126653801234_thumb.jpg

Edited by peterS

Sounds like a fun session mate. :thumbup:

Great pics. Love the colours on the eagle & I reckon if I look close enough I can see a family resembelance between you & the bream!! :074:

Cheers,

Grant.

I thought Ray looks like the eagle Ray in the photo :bleh::074:

hahaha now that's something different ray!!!!

I hope you enjoyed eating it as much as the photo as you looked like you were in love!!!!!!

While you were rock hopping I was moving house would swap with anyone as I absoloutely hate moving..

Good news is its all done and now back to fishing for me!!!

as always ray great pics and great fish and keep em coming!!!!!

Regards,

Nathan