Red Hot Session...

jim77

I wasn't even going to go out fishing today... I turned down an offshore trip with another fishraider and then a mate persuaded me to go for a quick session this morning. On the water by 5:50am - back at the ramp fish cleaned by 9;30 and what a session it was!

In about 2 hours of fishing we boated around 15 Kings - all legals bar one tiny rat, and the average size was around 80-85cms. We kept 6 fish between us - but it always feels good throwing back 80 and 90cm fish :1prop:

For the first half an hour the action was fantastic and we were pretty much getting a double hook up on every drop. As more boats turned up the action slowed down a little but we were still getting fish. At about 8:00am we decided to try one more spot on the way back as we were under strict instructions from the respective :wife: to be back by 9am.

First drop i hooked up to a very solid fish. A pretty good tussle with line stripping off the reel under some serious drag. I hooked it pretty close to the bottom so i was very lucky not to get done on the reef. Slugged it out mid water for a while and then got him up. As soon as i saw it i knew it was over the metre. I have caught several big Kings in NZ but none over a metre in Sydney. Plenty of bust offs this summer to big fish but none boated. There were a few nervous moments as we got it in the boat and then hi fives all round! Finally - after 5 fish in the 90s in recent weeks finally one over the metre. On the measure he went 105cm and 8.5kg on the scales. A couple of pics and then straight back in to it and on the very next drop i hooked up again on another solid fish. Another great fight and i thought that i had broken the metre mark again when i saw it but he only went 94cm. We already had more than enough fish and he went back in after a quick pic.

A great session and back on land by 9:30am.

There are some cracker Kings around at the moment - get out there and get in to them!

post-4846-126671478358_thumb.jpg

post-4846-126671551949_thumb.jpg

Edited by jim77

That is an abdolute cracker of an effort... Your making me even more jealouse that I can't get out in the harbour... I will have to try and arrange something and get out and land one king the size of yours...

SquidKing combo

Thanks for the replies fellas.

All fish taken on jigs - between 25 and 35m of water.

Shadda - i know the spot you are talking about... But it was no where near there :1prop: (that is a good spot though mate!)

Not far from the heads... less than 1 mile offshore. There were plenty of other boats around us.