Middle Harbour Kings

tide'n'knots

Hi guys, I fished middle harbour yesterday afternoon / night with mike (zenman) chasing kings in the afternoon and jew at night. we anchored around one of the wrecks in middle harbour and started burleying, the sounder was showing millions of baitfish with some very large arches down deep, it looked very fishy indeed and it didnt take to long for the kings to show up at the back of the boat. Several fish between 70 and 80cm started cruising around and when one shot out from under the boat to nail mikes pillie bait things were looking good until mike wound slack line back with a small pigs tail on the end where the knot gave way! oh no! next it was my turn and i dropped the bait infront of a fish around 75cm and it rocketed off under a drag that in hindsight should have been nipped up a bit tighter and found his way into the wreck and cut the braid! kingies 2 us nil! I wound the line up and feverishly rerigged but in my haste didnt realise that there must have been a frayed part of the braid where the previous fish had reefed me and it didnt take long for the next fish to find the weakness. I dropped the bait in front of another fish of similar size and it casually swam up engulfed the bait and swam off, as i set the hook the braid snapped like cotton and it was all over before it began! kings 3 us nil! After that the kingies started to wise up and dissapeared off the radar so we moved to another spot and started burlying. after about half an hour a lone king of simalar size to the one that had dusted us at the previous spot finally showed up but spent the next 10mins frustrating us by swimming up to the bait looking at it and not eating it. I decided to try a smaller hook and buryed it inside a chunk of pillie and it worked the fish swam up engulfed the bait and tore off! i tried very hard not to give it too much stick with the small hook but the inevitable happened and I wound up the slack line with half a hook tied on the end! kings 4 us nil! No more action after that as we spent the night bunkered down at one of mikes favorite jew spots waiting for a nice jew to come along and fill the emptyness inside us after being beaten by 4 nice kings but unfortunately it wasnt to be.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank mike for a very enjoyable afternoon/night on the water it was great fun even though we got dusted!! Mike is a great bloke and was able to teach me a fair bit about middle harbour and I am sure it will be of great help in the future.

thanks mike your a champion!

pete.

Hi Pete

Shame you got dusted by so many quality kings - you had lots of fun trying tho, I reckon!! Next time .....

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi roberta, the kings we lost were due to our own fault unfortunately! my drag was set up for jew and not tightened up for the tug of war bulldog type fight with a king so the first one made it into the wreck a little bit easier than it should have. the second fish I hooked unfortunately snapped the braid due to damage from the first fish that wasnt picked up by me, and the 3rd fish was lost because the hook was way too small and again not thinking this time the drag had been screwed up tight and probably should have been backed of to suit the hook!

oh well as you say - next time.

pete.

Hi Pete,

yeah mate that was good fun and good company.

Bloody kingies the buggers will get ya every time if you give them anything.

Thats a good spot for em and i think i will have to work that area consistently in the future. Next time i am going to spend more time on checking my gear. You gotta love kingies they can be real heartbreakers.

The jewie spot was disapointing but hey thats jewies for ya. I remain hopeful that in the months to come they will turn up in numbers. Until then i will keep trying to get that big kingie onboard.

I actually got to lunch time today and started to crave the shasimi that got away.

Cheers mate.

Hi Pete,

yeah mate that was good fun and good company.

Bloody kingies the buggers will get ya every time if you give them anything.

Thats a good spot for em and i think i will have to work that area consistently in the future. Next time i am going to spend more time on checking my gear. You gotta love kingies they can be real heartbreakers.

The jewie spot was disapointing but hey thats jewies for ya. I remain hopeful that in the months to come they will turn up in numbers. Until then i will keep trying to get that big kingie onboard.

I actually got to lunch time today and started to crave the shasimi that got away.

Cheers mate.

gday mike I decided today that I am going to bite the bullet and upscale my gear from 30lb to 50lb braid, lock up hard and hang on!!!

pete.

gday mike I decided today that I am going to bite the bullet and upscale my gear from 30lb to 50lb braid, lock up hard and hang on!!!

pete.

Great report Mike and Pete,

Good to hear that you guys gave it your all last night.

Abit more preparation will go along way to favouring the odds to your side.

Got to love middle harbour.

Twin 1

pete.

Hi

Cool report.

Do you really need a 50lbs line?? ... Thats almost 5 cases of beer !!! :1yikes:

I think the 50lbs would not help anyway, if he makes it to the wreck/reef.

But hey, I never had a Kingy on my line :05:

sounds like a nice session you guys had :thumbup:

kings are a dirty mungrel fighting bugger at best of times and can give some heartache,why we love em so much i rekon.

i always check leaders etc after i hook kings,esp in shallow structured waters and alot of the time need to change leaders so i use ready made leaders and attach to a good quality sampo swivel..

saves alot of time on hot bites...

cheers....steve......

The jewie spot was disapointing but hey thats jewies for ya. I remain hopeful that in the months to come they will turn up in numbers.

Hey mike,

Have you been targeting the jew's on plastics at all? I know you usually soak baits but im going through a lttle bit of a phase of trying to make bushy and starlo rich and have been targeting everything in middle harbour with plastics (that is of course when we aren't downrigging for kings) and was wondering if you had any tips?

cheers

Fishlexic