Tell Us About Your "noodle"

Ken A

It seems to me that just about everyone owns a "noodle" rod of some description. You know the kind I mean - a really light sloppy rod normally an el cheapo special from somewhere. The kind of rod that has no guts & is used for everything from bait catching to breaming with bait. :biggrin2:

My noodle is an old Lamiglass SH ?G?1 which is about 8.5 feet long & it started of life as a light estuary blackfish rod. Since then it has been used for most other things & its great for tossing lightly weighted nippers & crabs, fishing for garfish & other bait species.

The highlights of its career were a 3 kilo Salmon which grabbed a bream bait in the trail in Pittwater one night & took a LONG time to land & a 75cm Flathead that grabbed a whiting bait about 6 months ago. Over the years (about 20) it has taken a stack of fish & I love it. It has a Shimano Aerocast reel on it that probably went out of production 15 years ago :biggrin2:

I love the old noodle its a really low tech outfit that has given me lots of pleasure over the years. How about you ?

Are you a "noodle" owner?

I have an old solid glass luderick rod that is about 10ft long. Thought it was the ducks nuts when my grandfarther gave it to me.

You can give it a quick shake with you hand and it will flop back and forth for 5 mins. I wouldn't swap it for anything even though it has been a while since it has seen the water.

hey boys,

I've got a 5'6" 1-3kg silstar crystal power tip. I bought it so I could fold it back down on itself!.

Hasnt seen the water yet (2 yrs later) but im allways folding it it half :074::074:

Chris

Guest hottuna

My noodle is a traditional ugly stik SP 1100 B. 5` 6".

Worth alot in its day and we have people still asking for them! It`ll bend back on itself no problem, its first specis was a 2kg squid on the joey, couldn`t lift it in as it has no guts.

dan

I've got an 8 foot, (I think it is), Shimano Taipan somewhere.

It's a real noodle of a thing and is floppy as they come, but I have to admit, I've had a lot of fun with it. I caught my biggest yellowbelly on it while baitfishing Lake Windermere a while back. I was only using 3 pound leader and a single split-shot rig and I'm pretty sure the line would've snapped in seconds if it wasn't for the extra 'shock absorption' the Taipan gave me.

Joe

hey boys,

I've got a 5'6" 1-3kg silstar crystal power tip. I bought it so I could fold it back down on itself!.

Chris

42375[/snapback]

Me too Chris! Except mine did see the water, I used it for just about everything from plasticing to baiting :1clap: Still have it on my spare rack :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

I have an old yellow Sportex rock blackfish rod that I built back in about 1976 that would have to have the softest action of any rod I have ever encountered. It bends all the way down to the butt, but is still a very effective luderick rod and gets some use from time to time when I am in a nostalgic mood.

It has been rebound three times over the years and probably needs another rebind at the moment. It gives a whole new meaning to the expression "sloppy action".

My noodle rod was bought at a service station just south of Bulahdelah for the princely sum of 20$ and despite having had the tip of rod snapped off due to car door being in the way it still performs faultlessly,has caught some rather large fish, and now belongs to the better half. She loves this rod and wouldnt part with it for the world! :1fishing1: I dont think the tip would bend to the butt though! :biggrin2:

My noodle is a 5ft6in shimano kmart special, with a plastic kmart shimano reel to match, and the best low quality no name mono line money can buy. Its been dropped in the sand, saltwater, and been treated like absolute you-know-what.

Unbelievably in one session at the western wedding cake it did land me 2 legal size kingfish, and nearly got me another! I had the drag at tight as my fingers could twist it, but the fish still took line, and the rod didnt snap! At the end of that day I looked at the mono and it was actually fraying and fuzzy from the heat from the guides! Amazing!

Here's another form of noodling by some guys that do not have any idea how to use their noodles..

post-32-1113467187_thumb.jpg

Guest bluecod

Noodles = Jarvis Walker Blackqueen Deluxe - sloppy as, but great for tossing unweighted nippers at bream - acquired about 35 years ago - wouldn't part with it for love of money, and its on its third rebuild :1clap:

I have an old shakespeare sigma blackfish rod that is such a noodle!!! Never seen a rod like it. I have landed pigs up to 35cm on it too. :1clap: Its good for still water luderick fishing but for whiting off the beaches I prefer to use my 3145 blackfish rod :thumbup:

Chris I have that same rod too. :biggrin2:

Guest Jocool
Chris I have that same rod too. :biggrin2:

42491[/snapback]

Sounds like a popular rod. :074: I have one too. It is used for bait gathering more than anything else, but has accounted for a couple of salmon, and the kids use it for Breaming when they come along.

I also have a Diawa Firewolf rated at 2-4 lb...Really whippy...but it does have a half decent butt. It has taken a few bigger model flatties with ease.

Noodles = Jarvis Walker Blackqueen Deluxe

:074: I remember those :biggrin2: They were a very popular rod.

There's some interesting noodles here :biggrin2:

Cmon the rest of you confess to owning a noodle rod :1prop:

my first graphite rod was a procaster x 1-3kg and I reckon it would bend 180 degrees when I caught anything over 35cm. It did catch my largest river bass to date though, don't ask me how?? Sold many moons ago, I only own ball tearer rods now, can't be stuffed with "finesse" just yank em into the boat asap.

The JW Black queen, I dont even think I've got the deluxe. Mine has cork grips.

Of all my rods (too many) it has the most nostalgic memories. It was the first rod I ever owned. Dad bought it, and a JW Scarborough which was even noodlier, when I was about 11.

Its caught heaps of trout, bream, Tailor whiting etc and now resides at the top of the rod rack and gets used as a leadcore rod down in the big lakes. caught a few on it just a few weeks ago.

Well and truly due for a rebuild.

I wouldnt swap it for anything.

Regards POGO

Black Queen yeah! First rods me and my brother ever owned!!

Actually I may have the hippest noodle of anyone; my beloved ten year old plus Loomis jigflicker! Fancypants but still kicks butt even though it bends to the butt!

Mate picked up a couple of never-heard-of-the-brand noodle rods a few years ago. We were a bit jaded with fishin at the time so scored some of the smallest Alveys they make (made?) _ about three inches diametre, no drag etc. We spoolled em from the one bulk spool of two kay line then set ourselves up with our own "one class/one outfit" fishin comps on the harbour. Lure only. Want a skills test? try a three kay sambo on noodle rod and tiny tiny no drag Alvey. "Hi tech" human skin drags are heaps of fun!!!!

cheers Bombie

Actually I may have the hippest noodle of anyone; my beloved ten year old plus Loomis jigflicker! Fancypants but still kicks butt even though it bends to the butt!

Is that he brown one 3 pc 7' with the sliding band reel seats.

I ve got one of those, well 2/3 of one anyway I snapped the top section about a year ago but just cant bring myself to throw it away.

It was a beauty for unwt d yabbies and live prawns and for mudeyes and hoppers

Regards POGO

Yeah I to own a noodle. It is a no fuss no special Abu garcia 6 foot muscle tip rod. Cost me $28 brand new in Perth.

having said that it did manage to land some nice 38cm fat black bream on the flats on hb's and managed to hook up on several 42cm+ plus but they were to strong for the noodle.

Cheers

Lee

G'day all, Im with Pogo - mine is an "Ultimate casting rods" Jigflicker 6' 6" with a dogbone cork grip purchaced from harboard tackle supply over 15 years ago.

matched with the right reel and line its able to flick unweighted live shrimp for bream and Ep's. :thumbup:

cheers

Mick

Hiya Pogo and Fishlessmick, my jigflicker was made by a bloke in Melbourne and sent to me while I was living in Pommieland (Man, never try to find good aussie style light tackle in the UK :thumbdown: ) Has the dogbone cork and sliding rings and I still LOVE it. Not even 100 per cent graphite. Makes a marlin out of a mullet! cheers Bombie (I remember the Miller rods you guys are talking about, they were awesome)