Avoca Today Waiting For The Tidal Wave

Ray R

Hi Raiders, went around the rocks today after carefully suveying the conditions and safety elements,

found the spinning ledge relitively empty so I began to cast a few metals. The going was a bit quiet

at first but then things came to life, there were Watsons Leaping Bonito , Bonito, Frigate Macks and

a few Mack Tuna caught, I personally scored a few bonnies and a small mack tuna.

I kept the mack and one bonnie fo some bottom baits and waited for the tsunami, nothing happened so

I went back to the ledge and decided to cut a few juicy strips off the mack tuna and try for a reddie,

the first cast saw a nice eagle ray come in then a stingaree and another eagle, I was thinking this

was all I was gonna get. I persisted though and so out went another slab of mack tuna and befor it hit

the bottom I was into a fish a nice head shaking fighting fish, I thought this was the little red I was

after but as it came in closer to the edge I was surprised to see a nice little king, he was only

around the 55-60cm range so I thanked for the tussle and sent him back.

It was looking like the reds wouldn't play today, so I decide on one more bait before I head home and

this was the magic bait, the rod which is set in one of the holes in the rocks got a solid knock and

then a good run, I picked the rod up and struk, the fish took off and felt very reddie, fighting all

the way, I saw him down deep and knew I had my prize, a nice fish at just a shade under 40cm's, boy

I was glad to get him as it had been a fairly long day.

Anyway Raiders that was my day around the rocks, no tidal waves, pleasent conditions and a nice prize

at the end of the day.

P.S, if you double click the pic you get an enlarged version, the snapper's eye looks cool..

post-3371-126734026401_thumb.jpg

post-3371-126734031287_thumb.jpg

post-3371-126734033673_thumb.jpg

post-3371-126734037774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray R

Good Work Ray,

Glad to hear that the Tsunami did not sweep you Away!!!!!

As usual love the pics, love the fish.

Well deserved and It would have also been great to see the Rock's a little less crowded...

Might have to plan a trip up there soon I have been saying it for a while but a while is starting to get too long and now my casting is getting better so Id like to try my luck on the stones but next weekend is not looking too promising but time will tell....

:thumbup:

Regards,

Nathan

Oh good stuff Ray, I tried double clicking on the photo with you and the red to enlarge it but it said your head was to big and would'nt let me do it..haha.. only kidding mate. We got 1 black Marin on sat but nothing today, C YA on the rocks maybe tommorrow. Cheers Matt

Another mixed collection of sea creatures off the rocks Ray.

And a beautiful snapper to finish with! :thumbup:

Fantastic photos. The eye close up is brilliant!

By the way, are those "leaping bonito" identified by being more "spotty" than normal bonito? Anyone got any photos to show the differences between normal bonito and leaping bonito?

I assume these are normal bonito?

post-4381-126740688638_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter