Game Reel (Help)

i been fishing at avoca for quite some time now. first owning a daiwa and broke and now have moved onto a penn 950ssm. i have seen a quite few people including my friends using land based equipment and is pretty interested in getting one myself.

i went to look at shops for penn 50VSW but most shops in sydney dont sell at penn game reel.

Are penn game reel no good now? or are there better gaming reels?

i want something that would last me life time and catch BIG fish even marlin. the amount of money iam planning to spend is undetermined yet.

Can people please give me inputs on what they think is a good combo for landbase.

thanks in advance =]

You do not need the wide version of the reel as once more than 400 or so mtres have left the reel,its all over for the angler from the shore.

Penns are still great reels as are the Tiagras and IMHO a Tld 50 Shimano game reel is a great option for LBG.

Most fish you will encounter from the shore would be the smaller tunas including Northern Bluefin and Kings of all sizes and sharks.

The amount of marlin that are encountered from the Central Coast would be minimal.

Dont forget that the life of an LBG game reel is a harsh one with salt spray and constant wetting always a problem,not to mention laying your pride and joy on the stones while you prepare to bait or rig up.

Regards Swordfisherman

Penn are good but I only run Shimano. Off the rocks the TLD50 would be great.

Away from the rocks then either TLD50 or Tiagras.I find them easy to service myself or if

there is an issue I can not fix then send them to Dunphys for great service.

90 percent of game and charter run Shimano for areason.

Cheers Rowan

Really Shimano is the way to go for big fish. All new reels function great out of the box but Shimano go great year after year and drenching after drenching.

Swordfisherman your comment of 400m and its all over is in my opinion and those of the boys fishing for Marlin are totally not true. I have seen many Marlin get brought in after running a good 800m on Tiagras. If you use low stretch line like Platypus low stretch you can get about 700-800m on a TLD 50 or 1000m on a tiagra. And yes if you get a 150kg fish take the bait you might need every bit of it. But for Marlin there is no substitute, Tiagra 50W. Go do Jarvis Bay and look at what 90% of the guys run down there.

Bluefin are a different kettle of fish. No game real wll do everything, just like no car will go anywhere. Just remember Shimano for a couple of years down the track

It has never failed me, I've not hooked a marlin yet, always missed the damn run by a day! But i have hooked other fish and you apreciate a smooth drag when a fish is screaming!

Really Shimano is the way to go for big fish. All new reels function great out of the box but Shimano go great year after year and drenching after drenching.

Swordfisherman your comment of 400m and its all over is in my opinion and those of the boys fishing for Marlin are totally not true. I have seen many Marlin get brought in after running a good 800m on Tiagras. If you use low stretch line like Platypus low stretch you can get about 700-800m on a TLD 50 or 1000m on a tiagra. And yes if you get a 150kg fish take the bait you might need every bit of it. But for Marlin there is no substitute, Tiagra 50W. Go do Jarvis Bay and look at what 90% of the guys run down there.

Bluefin are a different kettle of fish. No game real wll do everything, just like no car will go anywhere. Just remember Shimano for a couple of years down the track

It has never failed me, I've not hooked a marlin yet, always missed the damn run by a day! But i have hooked other fish and you apreciate a smooth drag when a fish is screaming!

My friend,

I was fishing the Tubes and legdes of JB before you could probably walk :biggrin2:

I have seen what big marlin can do and the lucky few who actually land marlin dont have 800 metres of line out as all good fishos know that when that amount of line is out ,water pressure pops the line like a peice of cotton.

Many smaller marlin are landed each year on much lesser tackle than Tiagras and in the late 70s and early 80s ,Tiagras werent even heard of.

After you catch a few marlin with 800 metres of line out come back and show us the pics,cant wait.

Regards LBG Swordie :tease:

My friend,

I was fishing the Tubes and legdes of JB before you could probably walk :biggrin2:

I have seen what big marlin can do and the lucky few who actually land marlin dont have 800 metres of line out as all good fishos know that when that amount of line is out ,water pressure pops the line like a peice of cotton.

Many smaller marlin are landed each year on much lesser tackle than Tiagras and in the late 70s and early 80s ,Tiagras werent even heard of.

After you catch a few marlin with 800 metres of line out come back and show us the pics,cant wait.

Regards LBG Swordie :tease:

I agree you probably were fishing there before i could walk and many fish were and are still landed on less than tiagra and tld 50's.

For my money i like my Tiagra and would never fish for a marlin with anything less. The fish that come round now compared to the 70's and 80's seem to be a lot bigger.

Talking to some of the older and wiser guys on the rocks (than me) they always say that.

Anyway this topic could be a catalyst for a case to dissapear in a few hours while theories are disclosed and stories re-lived. :beersmile:

are the fish now bigger? - or is it that the bigger ones were always there but can now be stopped..........

And weve screwed up the run of inshore babies.......

Maybe your right, maybe now we can just stop them cause of the gear????

Mate as i said you could go through a case a day pondering what is, was and might be.

I'm just p'ved that i couldn't go for a proper fish this weekend!!!