Fishing The Local

johnny doi

gday guys,

after dropping the kids to school,mate josh rang to see if i wanted to go hav a flick down around fairfeild where we'v explored b4 & got some bream,mullet & carp.

plan was to use bread & corn & hav some fun on the big carp.first spot is a little stream not 5m wide.burley bread & big surface boils almost immediately from mullet & carp.missed a good run & the fished spooked a bit.they were still boofing the bread but were just out of range.moved down the creek a bit & burleyed the new spot.cast the unweighted bread in then it starts raining.then i get a run,close the bail & he's on.a little bream in the low 20's.josh got 1 not long after which was just legal.i get 1 more about the same as the 1st then we move along.

stopped in a few little pockets of water but no more fish landed.all fish released.

we then hopped in the car & drove 3mins away to carramar.parked the car & we walked 50m to the bridge in which we fished under as it was raining.start the burley again & josh pulls a procession of little bream on unweighted bread under the bridge.i was 20m away in the rain casting toward the reeds.couple runs but no hookups.meanwhile josh lost his hook to a tiddler that he had to cut as it was hooked deep.

so josh ties on a little black hard body,1st cast he's onto a little ep about 25cms.i thought,i want a ep so i changed to a squidgy bug.couple casts i land a bream that was missing the top of its jaw.looked sort of like a permits nose.i was happy with a snub nose bream. :074: ater loosing the bug to a snag,i tied on a 2in gulp shrimp in natural colour on a 1.5gm,size 4 hook.thats when the fun started.first cast i was getting hits straight away.this went on for a bit over an hour,until we had to leave them biting to go pick up the kids from school.i ended up catching & releasing 5 or 6 bream [22-26cm] that were fat as & in great nick,pulling above their weight.awesome fun on the light rod[6lb braid & leader].in between those fish landed,i was getting hits on just about every cast.

i know these are only small bream,iv caught plenty that have been almost double the size,but what made it so special to me is the location in which they were caught.having such a hot bite on lures is good enough,but to have it happen so close to home,barely 5mins drive away,is the icing on the cake for me.i could ride my bike there & be fishing in 10mins,which is just ACE.so we didnt get any of the intended carp we went for,instead we got a action pack little session of bream on plastics.BUT i didnt get my EP.lol.im not complaining though.

sorry for the long post guys,i havnt put a post up in a while so i thought id giv all the details in this little session.thanks for reading.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Edited by fisher doi

its amazing you are having such good fishing around there mate.... i used to live near prospect creek and the river never really looked alive up that way. But its good to see that there are fish there.

Hey Johnny, thats the best when you find a little spot like that where you can go and relax. Catching fish is a bonus, its great that you released the bream so hopefully you catch them next time.... Cheers Matt

Nice job Johnny, top fun on light gear.

Is that further upstream area affected by tides much???, only ask cause my local (Lane Cove and Parra Rivers) are really dependent on tide and moon.

Have to catch up soon, will send you a PM

Nice job Johnny, top fun on light gear.

Is that further upstream area affected by tides much???, only ask cause my local (Lane Cove and Parra Rivers) are really dependent on tide and moon.

Have to catch up soon, will send you a PM

hi mate,

yeh it is effected by tide up there but the tides run is pretty slow as its about 2-3hrs difference to the charts.[eg.if high in botany is at 1pm,high up there will be roughly 3.30-4pm].we didnt check the tides the other day but when we started it was up pretty high.when i got the bream,the tide was jus starting to turn run out & pik up a little bit of pace.enough flow to use a 1.5gm jighead & reach bottom in i geuss 10-12ft of water.

cheers johnny.

hey hows it going, where abouts in the creek were you fishin at, im at fairfield, wouldnt mind catchin some mullet for the jewies, ever try that pond next to cumberland hwy, theres a big pond that runs into a little one, always see big carp in there,gotta watch out for the red belly black snakes tho :unsure: