East Reef Off Broken Bay

Ray R

Hi Raiders, wonder if someone out there could give me a distance from the coastline for East Reef just out from Broken Bay.

Is it within the non epirb boundaries (2nm) or (3.7k's).

Hope someone can give an accurate answer..

Hi Raiders, wonder if someone out there could give me a distance from the coastline for East Reef just out from Broken Bay.

Is it within the non epirb boundaries (2nm) or (3.7k's).

Hope someone can give an accurate answer..

G'day Ray,

Depends how they measure it but the top of East Reef is 0.3nm from the nearest point of land which is Bouddi Point. It's 2.7nm from Box Head.

Cheers, Slinky

East Reef is 4.9 - 5.0 km due East of Box Head (Bearing 270) it is 2.4 km out from Gerrin Point (Bearing 137). Water rises from 26mm up to 16m. (Garmin Mapsource Bluechart Pacific Version 7.0)

The geographical feature East Reef is within the Marine Sanctuary and water rises to only several meters as seen in attached document.

East Reef36.doc

Edited by Noodles

G'day Ray,

Depends how they measure it but the top of East Reef is 0.3nm from the nearest point of land which is Bouddi Point. It's 2.7nm from Box Head.

Cheers, Slinky

i think this means epirb is needed ray...

2nm from open water line not from land is what ive been told.

vjeers...steve...

vjeers...steve...

"All boats operating beyond smooth and partially smooth water must carry and Emergency Positioning Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) if more than 2 nautical miles from land"

Thanks Raiders for your time to reply, and yes I do understand the 2 nm rule, we were just gonna stick our nose out to East Reef today and didn't want to get in trouble from the water boys.. Thanks again Raiders...

vjeers...steve...

i think i will revise my original post and say im just as confused again :tease::1prop:..

i was told a while ago from some very experianced people(one of which races yachts) that it was from open water line so hugging coast was not ok...

BUT.... i just checked maritime site and it says "The Marine Safety (General) Regulation 2009 makes a 406MHz EPIRB required for all vessels, with some exceptions, when more than 2nm from the nearest shore"

taken from http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/campaigns/406.html ...

ray i would give them a call and get them to clarify it and jot down names for later reference if guy on water checking you gets it wrong also....

cheers...steve......