Jew Fishing Land Base

eastwood1980

Hi,

I've been on this website for sometime now but i never logged on etc, i just wanted to check out the pic's people

catch etc and read some stories, until the website changed few weeks ago i weren't able to look at the pic's

anymore, so i have to log on again.

Anywazzz sorry for my boring story, going straight to topic. I wanna learn how to catch a jew fish.

I fish landbase. i don't know how to rig up a jew line but i know they like squids from the stories i've been reading

Can anyone teach me where to go and what would be the closest place to catch some bait etc

what time, what tide, how to do a line up for a jew.

Hey mate,

I'm no expert but here's the advice I was given when I started out and within my second trip I had my first jewfish.

Gear:

- A 10 - 12ft beach rod is optimum for land base IMO as it allows you to get out a decent cast(although jewfish can also be found right in close to wharfs) Anything above say 8-10kg will be sufficient in most cases.

- A reel with a decent drag system as jewfish will normally give you at least one solid run. I find baitrunners are good for landbased as there isn't usually anywhere solid where you can leave your rod.

- I think 30lb line is a good way to start although it is probably more than necessary most of the time. You can choose either braid or mono, it really just comes down to personal preference. This setup can also be used for kings.

Rig:

I like to use about a metre and a half worth of trace(30lb) on a double hook(I use 5/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks) rig attached via a snell knot. Just google it if you require information about how to tie the knot. The trace is attached to a swivel. I then attach a star sinker to a snap barrel swivel and this will go in your mainline followed by a glow bead and then attached to the other end of the swivel with the trace attached. Sounds a bit complicated at first but really it's not.

Tide:

A good time to start would be to fish 2 hours before the high or low tide. I find that fish tend to bite around this time and can still be around for hours. My last outing(on a boat) we had the fish actively biting over a period of 3-4 hours. I've been told that the best time is right on the slack of tide but from my experience I've found anytime around the change of tide they will be active and they can be caught in all tides but seem to be more active around the change of tide. To start off with I would probably try fishing at night or early morning.

Moon/Barometre:

A good place to start is around week before or after the full or new moon. Also a spike or drop in the barometre is supposedly a good time to catch fish. Although don't look into too much as I used to do because when your fishing in conditions other than these you lead yourself into believing theres no fish around when there probably is. Think about it logically, fish need to feed, I know they're not pelagics and don't feed as aggresively but they still need to eat!

Bait

As you mentioned squid would be the best hands down. I like to use strips of bait about an inch in width to the length of the hood of the squid. If you've only got small squid, a single hook rig may only be necessary. Attach your bait to the hook(s), half hitch the top and put it in the water to see if sits nicely. It's important that the bait doesn't spin as fish are supposedly deterred by this. Launch your bait out and if the baits good and the jews are around I'm sure they will hit it.

I would start off around the parramatta river as there are heaps of school sized jewfish around. Important things to look out for are baitfish, structure and points. Just have a look on google maps and you will see there are several locations. The ferry wharves around chiswick are known to produce fish although may be busy. I dont know I havent fish landbased for a while. Be careful though because apparently there have been some incidents with hostile fisherman. Best not to fish alone if fishing at night. Also clean up after yourself as LB anglers are getting a bad name from the mess left around.

** All in all just enjoy yourself and experiment. If the tide isn't perfect or the barometre isn't perfect dont let this ruin your trip. Just try your luck and experiment. Theres PLENTY of jewies around. Also if you have other rods have one close in to structure and one further out. It's always good to cover your options.

post-8655-126805142909_thumb.jpg

Edited by nosliw

Brooklyn rail bridge you are wasting your time as it's the wrong side for the jewies.

Try off the rocks near the baths there is a nice hole, live BREAM are great bait here.

Legal size only of course ;)

Edited by tallman

Yeah, parra river is a good location to catch them land based... but, I wouldn't eat anything caught there though....

Try under captain cook bridge...the south side.

Mate I've eaten plenty of Jew from the Parra and havn't died yet . Your doing yourself an injustice if you don't give it a try , Jew are tasty tasty tasty fish and you would have to eat it 5 nights a week breakfast lunch and dinner before anything would happen I reckon . You don't get to many stories of people getting crook from eating fish in the Parra .

Sure I might twitch a bit ,occasionally pass out and do the ruber chicken and not look real pretty but it's worth it .

Bubba

Brooklyn rail bridge you are wasting your time as it's the wrong side for the jewies.

Try off the rocks near the baths there is a nice hole, live BREAM are great bait here.

Legal size only of course ;)

I beg to differ my good man!!!!!I have,and also others I know have, caught some good jew from a boat not far from the bridge on that side! I put up a post of a 54lb jew only a couple of months back that a friend (non raider) caught in that area!!

My suggestion is that would be a very good place to start particularly on the bend where it eddys or around the pylons.

hope this helps.

pete

During the day plastics work well on jewies. I've caught a few land based fishing small plastics most of them in the schoolie/soapie class. I fish light line 4 to 8 lb braid (jewies are very landable on light gear), 6 to 8 lb fluro carbron trace and a minnow/jerk shad/shad patterns between 3 to 4 inches.

Mate I've eaten plenty of Jew from the Parra and havn't died yet . Your doing yourself an injustice if you don't give it a try , Jew are tasty tasty tasty fish and you would have to eat it 5 nights a week breakfast lunch and dinner before anything would happen I reckon . You don't get to many stories of people getting crook from eating fish in the Parra .

Sure I might twitch a bit ,occasionally pass out and do the ruber chicken and not look real pretty but it's worth it .

Bubba

You wont feel the effects straight away its later down the track that the pollutants will show up by damaging your kidneys. Your body cant filter out heavy metals. But its fish like bream, whiting etc that are the worst as they are bottom dwellers and feed in the sediment where all the dioxins have settled. I'd prefer a jewie from cleaner water though.

i wouldnt mind knowing a good land based spot for jews my self :P i know the airport runway produces some because everytime ive taken people with me fishing there ive basically handed them jewfish :/ and still have not caught one for my self

Don't waste you're time fishing the river landbased if you're not familiar with the conditions.

The river produces big tides which it is essential to know how to fish these using correct bait presentation and rigs depending on the stage at which the tide is at.

It will take a while to get used to these conditions let alone hook a Hawkesbury Jewy! May I suggest fishing a wharf somewhere in the Harbour.

Edited by plankton

Captain Cook Bridge is actually over the Georges...

But...yeah, i wouldnt recommend eating out of the Parra... Especially when the govt is warning against it.

Check out this link.....

Just had a look at the link then.

4. What if I've been eating fish from Sydney Harbour?

An increased health risk associated with dioxins only occurs from long term exposure to high levels of dioxin. It is unlikely that people consuming seafood from Port Jackson would have noticeable health effects from the seafood, even if the dietary advice below is occasionally exceeded (see How much can I eat?).

Im not worried about eating these fish as you would have to eat it more often then most people ever catch them . Also how do you know where the fish has been , have they come in from outside ? they definately don't stay in the same place all the time or they would be getting smashed by anglers every weekend. And I don't know why bream and whiting etc would be affected any worse as they are eaten by jew ,and everthing eats prawns which live on the bottom as well. These Dioxins havn't just turned up they have built up over many many years and people have been eating fish out of the harbour for quite some time. Maybe in 20 or 30 years I will grow a third nipple and have to eat my words , but until then Jew on the BBQ.

Throw them back if you are worried about it but i'd be more worried about having your window open and breathing exhaust fumes while driving in the traffic jam that is Sydney. You can buy basser fillets at supermarkets and you can bet your life that they are not as healthy to eat as a Parra river Jew . They come from Vietnam ,catfish that are caught and or grown in the MeKong River which is basically an outlet for sewage and industrial waste which is not regulated at all , but you can still buy these fish fillets.

If your still not keen on eating fish from the Parra I suggest a saucer of milk would be a suitable replacement :biggrin2:

Bubba

Just had a look at the link then.

4. What if I've been eating fish from Sydney Harbour?

An increased health risk associated with dioxins only occurs from long term exposure to high levels of dioxin. It is unlikely that people consuming seafood from Port Jackson would have noticeable health effects from the seafood, even if the dietary advice below is occasionally exceeded (see How much can I eat?).

Im not worried about eating these fish as you would have to eat it more often then most people ever catch them . Also how do you know where the fish has been , have they come in from outside ? they definately don't stay in the same place all the time or they would be getting smashed by anglers every weekend. And I don't know why bream and whiting etc would be affected any worse as they are eaten by jew ,and everthing eats prawns which live on the bottom as well. These Dioxins havn't just turned up they have built up over many many years and people have been eating fish out of the harbour for quite some time. Maybe in 20 or 30 years I will grow a third nipple and have to eat my words , but until then Jew on the BBQ.

Throw them back if you are worried about it but i'd be more worried about having your window open and breathing exhaust fumes while driving in the traffic jam that is Sydney. You can buy basser fillets at supermarkets and you can bet your life that they are not as healthy to eat as a Parra river Jew . They come from Vietnam ,catfish that are caught and or grown in the MeKong River which is basically an outlet for sewage and industrial waste which is not regulated at all , but you can still buy these fish fillets.

If your still not keen on eating fish from the Parra I suggest a saucer of milk would be a suitable replacement :biggrin2:

Bubba

A saucer of milk??

No one has ever told you not to eat them.. I really don't care if you eat grub from the bottom of the Citarum River..

But.......getting on a public forum and encouraging people to eat from a river that our food authority has advised against is not cool...

Dietary advice:

* No seafood caught west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge should be eaten. You should release your catch.

* For seafood caught east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge generally no more than 150 grams per month should be consumed.