Forster Bonnies

Gendleberries

My mate Del, his mate Rossco and I headed to Forster on the weekend hopeing to set the circle's into some bluefin off the stones. After a long, painful, slippery hike in the rain and some delicate rock skating by Rossco (didn't wear rock fishing boots) we finally got to the ledge.

The more experienced lads, ie everyone but me, started off by burleying up for liveys and, after they'd jigged about 10-15 yakka's, Rossco had one of em rigged up and on the menu for any big pelagic passers by. Now i'll put all of you out of your misery by declaring that, aside from a chopper tailer and a late afternoon shark, the livey's didn't eventuate to much, and certainly no big runs from the bluefin tuna that we were hopeing for. :thumbdown:

I had a ball spinning up Bonito from the moment we got there. First with a 65 gram Raider, then with almost everything else I chucked at em right up until I had to go at about 1pm. It was my first spin with my new G Loomis stick and, coupled with an 8000 Stradic, I was well pleased with my investment as I landed and released about 30 bonnies including one rather pretty fish called a Watsons leaping bonito.

Del and Rossco joined in on the action while their yakkas flipped and flopped about and Rossco managed a feat I had never seen before. Spinning a bibless minnow lure he hooked twins, one on each treble. Del told me later on that after I had left Rossco had done it again on the same lure, I must get me one of those.

It just goes to show ya that even a "failed" fishing expedition can be whole lot of fun, shame about the camera though...

Until next time,

May the schwartz be with you!

Hi GB

Shame the biggies didn't come out to play with you - but bonnies are always fun on any gear! Hmmmm, I wouldn't fish any of Forster rock ledges (or Elizabeth Beach, Blueys etc either) without good well-spiked rock boots. Too dangerous by far.

Sounds like you were out on the Saturday - it bucketted down raining about 5 times before lunch time when I was out on the lake in the yak - got saturated! At one point, I thought it was going to hail, as the temp dropped so suddenly & the rain drops became huge!

I don't think they get tuna off the rocks that much any more, tho I was there once when they 'came round' & chucked a pillie at them (in the clear blue water you could see them casing the bait fish towards the ledge) and I was ON for all of a nanosecond! The rod bent in half & the line went PING! All over, red rover!! I had the drag set for tailor (& pulling them up the cliff face!) Didn't have a chance with the tuna! :074: It was exciting whilst it lasted tho.

Well done on Rossco's double double hookup!! He would have thought he had a monster on, with 2 fish trying to swim in different directions! :1prop:

Better luck next time!

Roberta

I have caught many a bluefin / mac tuna up at forster..

My Favourite ledge that really never used to dissapoint was about an hour and a half tough hike in (even tougher out)

I havent been up there for about 5 years now..

One year i took a wrong turn out and ended up in thick bush for about an hour trying to find my way back..

Maybe i need to get my arse into gear and get in the arse end of the season..