The Drought Has Broken!

Croydon

G'day folks,

Well it's taken two summers, a lot of sweat, even more fuel and yes just a few beers but we finally broke the drought. Our first stripped Marlin hit the boat yesterday! And yes it was worth the wait....

We headed out off Batemans Bay into a brilliant sunrise. It looked fantastic under a haze of fog. Took this photo on Tuesday but it was just as spectacular.

post-4525-126894918857_thumb.jpg

Trolled small pink xmas tree lures around Snapper Island and picked up half a dozen bonito just right for skipping. We headed out to the 70 fathom mark and started to troll a spread of JB lures north east, out over the shelf and back in. On the way we came across some playful dolphins who just wanted to have some fun. The water temp rose from 21.5 to 25 deg once we got out over the 80 fathom mark and didn't it look a beautiful royal blue.

post-4525-126894940286_thumb.jpgpost-4525-126894942427_thumb.jpg

After a few hours for a couple of good size stripe tuna (which is pretty much how it's been going lately) I switched over to a couple of skip baits on the riggers and a pair of lures off the corners. We continued to troll back in towards an area off North Durras which I'd raised a couple of fish in last year. Just as my mate cracks a coldie (well it was lunch time) something very strange happened. We had a hit on the JB Donger in a lumo green colour. The fish took a few metres of line and spat the hook. I looked at my mate and was devastated, but before I could cry into my beer the right rigger goes off, I bolted off my chair and grabbed the rod and wouldn't you know it, the left rigger goes as well.

With only two in the boat, four rods and a teaser out it was bedlam. Both fish just bolted and stripped a good amount of line off the 50's. Suddenly my fish comes rocketing out of the water and spat the bonito back in my face. To say I was a little miffed would be an understatement. But thankfully the other fish had better table manners and the hook held. About 15 miutes later a stripped marlin of about 60kg was at the side of the boat and wasn't it beautiful!!

post-4525-126894996637_thumb.jpg post-4525-126894998179_thumb.jpg

Well didn't we celebrate. All the heart break in the past went out the window and the boys were happy! We stayed in the area for another few hours but that was it for the day. Look out this weeked, number two isn't too far behind.

All the best and thanks to everyone on this site for their info and advice which really helped make this capture something to remember. Thanks.......

Dave

Great read & pics Dave. :thumbup:

Congrats on the 1st Marlin for the boat. The conditions look fantastic.

I love hearing the reward for effort stories. You really deserved that fish & I'm sure you'll get plenty of more.

Cheers,

Grant.

Great read & pics Dave. :thumbup:

I love hearing the reward for effort stories. You really deserved that fish & I'm sure you'll get plenty of more.

Cheers,

Grant.

Couldn't agree more! Congrats on your marlin Dave. A truly memorable occasion for you and your crew :yahoo:

Cheers

Hodgey

well done Dave and crew!!!

is snapper island the small island between the bar and tollgates?

cheers

tom

Thanks guys for all the well wishes, much appreciated.

Yes Tom, you've got it right. It's a great spot to catch small yakkas, slimies and at the moment bonito and some good size salmon.

Cheers.........Dave

Just as my mate cracks a coldie (well it was lunch time) something very strange happened. We had a hit on the JB Donger in a lumo green colour. The fish took a few metres of line and spat the hook. I looked at my mate and was devastated, but before I could cry into my beer the right rigger goes off, I bolted off my chair and grabbed the rod and wouldn't you know it, the left rigger goes as well.

With only two in the boat, four rods and a teaser out it was bedlam. Both fish just bolted and stripped a good amount of line off the 50's. Suddenly my fish comes rocketing out of the water and spat the bonito back in my face. To say I was a little miffed would be an understatement. But thankfully the other fish had better table manners and the hook held.

well done for sure dave i know that feeling and i think many of us go thru those dreaded dry spells

one thing we often do however is keep our boat at trolling speed while getting gear in and the rod/s with the fish/es on are the last to be touch

very often we get multiable hookups with the stripes but not often more than one seem to stick

you lose a bit of line off the reels doing it this way but that only gives you a better angle and tends to make the fish stay high and wear out quicker thus getting the line back is no real drama

i hope this is just the beginging for ya again now ya got your groove back ;)

Well done guys!

Thats awsome to finaly crack it for your first one. Its such a great feeling. Makes you wonder how many times you've had them looking at your spread before but never seen them..... But when you have just landed your first fish you dont really care!!!