Good Day At The Hump And Along The Royal National Park

james7

Perfect conditions – very light breeze, and practically no swell. A great day to be on the water.

post-4381-126923330359_thumb.jpg

After trolling up a few bonito, rat kings and mac tuna, we drifted for flathead. For a while we could only find “big ones” like these ...

post-4381-126923331022_thumb.jpg

Then out of nowhere I picked up a big flounder! Yahoo! (I think it may be close to the Raider record Slinky)

Things went quiet, so we decided to head down to the “Hump” and try for some snapper.

post-4381-126923331933_thumb.jpg

It’s a long way down the coast, but luckily a few dolphins kept us company.

post-4381-126923332825_thumb.jpg

Conditions were very calm. Practically no drift at all.

We started getting a mixed bag ... pike, slimies, nannygai, pigfish, sgt baker and sweep. Unfortunately no snapper.

post-4381-126923333996_thumb.jpg

My big pike. (I’ve put some more photos in my thread "Toothy Critters 2". Click here)

We were just about to leave when Syd and myself both pulled up mowies at the same time.

Syd’s mowie was just a little bit bigger than mine. (Only about 20cm bigger! :ranting2: )

post-4381-126923335025_thumb.jpg

We stopped a couple of times on the way home and picked up a few good flatties on the drift along the Royal National Park.

post-4381-12692333617_thumb.jpg

Syd is holding the two biggest flatties. Not huge, but a good size.

post-4381-126923336966_thumb.jpg

A great day on the water!

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Hey mate were you out there on Saturday ? Thought i seen you's

We were in a 525 Brooker Discovery Cuddy with 75hp ETEC fishing the rocks near marley :)

Nice catch you got there :) We didnt go as well with only 1 Flattie, 1 Snapper, 2 Bonnies & A Squid but werent those conditions good

Have a look at those conditions :1yikes: What a great time to be out on the water, Peter. The trip certainly improved after you made the move to the hump. A fantastic feed of fish for the table. The two flatties Syd is holding are very well conditioned. :thumbup: That pike has a nasty set of dentures! Crackin' photos as always mate. Nice to see you back on the water

Cheers

Skip

Hey mate were you out there on Saturday ? Thought i seen you's

We were in a 525 Brooker Discovery Cuddy with 75hp ETEC fishing the rocks near marley

Nice catch you got there We didnt go as well with only 1 Flattie, 1 Snapper, 2 Bonnies & A Squid but werent those conditions good

G'day cut_loose. Yeah, it was Saturday when we were out there. We trolled down past Marley. There were heaps of boats around Marley to Wattamolla, then the wind came up a bit, and everyone disappeared??? It was just an hour later when it went completely calm. We were the only boat at the Hump and later around Garie. Go figure???

Cheers

Peter

peterS, you impress me with your posts every time!

Those fish are massive :thumbup: ...your very humbled about your catch.

The flounder and two flatties would be worth bragging about by my standards :biggrin2:

PS: i love how you line up your fish on the table every time :074:

G'day cut_loose. Yeah, it was Saturday when we were out there. We trolled down past Marley. There were heaps of boats around Marley to Wattamolla, then the wind came up a bit, and everyone disappeared??? It was just an hour later when it went completely calm. We were the only boat at the Hump and later around Garie. Go figure???

Cheers

Peter

Yeah i noticed that. Flat as a tact ffor the first hour we were there than the wind came up for an hour and all the boats went, But than the wind died back down, Alot of boats were insidetshen we came in, I shouldha went to the humps, I'll have to try there one day

Where was my invite Pete? Havent heard from you two clowns in ages!!

Floating_Medic

G'day Alan. You're always welcome to fish with us "clowns".

Haven't heard from you since you went out fishing with Fishbones last year.

Also, John tells me you're now engaged!

You may as well sell the boat mate! You wont need it once you're married! :074:

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

peterS, you impress me with your posts every time!

Those fish are massive ...your very humbled about your catch.

The flounder and two flatties would be worth bragging about by my standards

PS: i love how you line up your fish on the table every time

Thanks for the comments “refused”. It was a great day on the water.

Some of those fish were crackers. Syd’s pb mowie (50cm) and my flounder (36cm) were good to get on board. However, the flatties were a just a “good” size, and not “huge”. (Not like those monsters Hodgey and his mate Dene get down south - 80cm+) The photos can make the flatties appear bigger. The three biggest were about 50-54cm, with the average size about 40-45cm. I reckon that’s about the best eating size anyway.

The “table photo” of the final catch at the end of the day has become a bit of a ritual. We now judge the day on whether we “cover” the table. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Peter