My Boat

Jaso

I don't have digital cam of my own (apart from dodgy phone cam) so hadnt got around to taking/posting pics of my boat until today.

I bought a 2nd hand 4.2mtr 2002 Stacer Seahorse last November.. when I bought it, it had a flat floor in it, 40hp on the back. I'd previously owned a small boat with forward steering and I really wanted more fishing/casting space if I was getting another smaller boat, so I went for tiller steer this time so I could use all the space in the middle. The 40Hp gets the boat going pretty well..

I wanted something to handle the chop a bit better than my previous small boat, so I went for a 'deep V' style boat rather than a punt. However I also wanted to be able to chase fish, but it would mean I had to do some work to it to get put an electric on the front. I didnt have the cash to spend on a boat that already had loads of features like platforms and underfloor storage.. So I did a few upgrades myself, took a few risks and bought the leckie and sounder in the US, got some mates rates on marine ply etc, and a big thanks go to Ozy and to PM'ing back and forth on how he fixed up his previous deep v boat :thumbup: (another reason to show why communities like this make a difference to people with common interests!)

I ended up putting a casting platform up the front, and platforms down the back, and an electric on the front. Its turned out very well, and I'm real pleased because Im not that handy, but it's come together well, and it makes such a big difference having the electric motor on the front being able to position the boat to get actively chase fish around structure.

Here's the pics:

The boat..

post-32-1113648793_thumb.jpg

The leckie (MK RT55) and front platform.. There was a foam rubber cushion stuck onto the front thwart, so I cut a section out of it and marine carpeted the thwart and platform so you could stand on the middle of the thwart also

post-32-1113648812_thumb.jpg

Cut 3 sections for the rear platforms so I could get to the storage, and marine carpeted those also

post-32-1113648828_thumb.jpg

I took a piece of carpeted marine ply out of the back of the boat and used it as the mounting point for a sounder bracket - I had the aluminium bracket made for me by a relative (who is good at that stuff) and mounted the quick release sounder bracket to it (Humminbird Matrix 37). It works well so you can swivel the sounder screen if you are on the front platform also.

post-32-1113648955_thumb.jpg

Just finished mine not 2 long ago aswell

43781[/snapback]

All i can see is the top of your Garage Ev! :)

When are you headin down to Syd? Me and a mate are hitting the hacking on Sunday Morning, Matt too maybe if he isnt going north.

cheers

Chrus

Nice job on your boat, sure makes a difference. :thumbup:

Did you just mount your electric straight to the front? Drill 4 holes and bolt? does it matter that its on a bit of an angle? Was going to get a plate welded on but it will cost a bit.

Cheers Evan, :beersmile:

post-610-1114059346_thumb.jpg

post-610-1114059378_thumb.jpg

Just finished mine not 2 long ago aswell

43781[/snapback]

Yeah but its a nice garage worth posting--

will be coming down on sunday--- going to tapdogs on saturday night :ranting2: with the :wife: should be fun hmmmmm, might bring the boat for a sunday arvo sesh, went out on tuesday and got 3 bonito on the bream gear-- great fights and made up for an otherwise uneventful day-- Been getting much in the hacko?

Cheers Evan,

Cheers for the comments all! :1clap:

Nice job on your boat, sure makes a difference. :thumbup:

Did you just mount your electric straight to the front? Drill 4 holes and bolt? does it matter that its on a bit of an angle? Was going to get a plate welded on but it will cost a bit. 

Cheers Evan,

43783[/snapback]

According to the mount instructions on the minn kota (or the Kyoto Protocol as my wife calls it) there's a tolerance of 5degrees from the horizontal for the autopilot compass to function properly.

I drilled 4 holes only, but took a while to work out the positioning. 2 holes at the front are on the gunnell, and because the front of the boat is curved I propped the front up with some rubber doorstops. Just make sure that you put rubber underneath for the bolts, and use spring washers under the nuts to keep it tight.

Jaso,

that is excactly what I want to do, well done, I might PM you for some info if that is alright?

cheers

Narra

43786[/snapback]

No probs Ken - Also - I got heaps of setup tips from Ozy, and he had some great photos also on how he did the decks.

Jaso you have done a great job on the Stacer mate, well done :1clap:  :thumbup: .

Hope it gives you alot of good times and tight line mate. :1fishing1:

43864[/snapback]

Cheers mate - it already has. I've got heaps more enjoyment out of the use of the boat since I did it.. :biggrin2:

A Stacer  :1yikes: , geez Jas if I'd known earlier I would've suggested using it as an anchor  :1prop:

43867[/snapback]

You :ranting2:

And to think I gave you some cred. But seriously - cheers for the help.. :biggrin2:

You  :ranting2:

And to think I gave you some cred. But seriously - cheers for the help.. :biggrin2:

43879[/snapback]

:biggrin2: sorry mate, couldn't resist. It was also aimed elsewhere and it certainly struck a nerve (hey Whitto :tease: ) I wish real fishing was that easy :1naughty: .

Glad to see it turned out so good :thumbup: .

Cheers,

Ozy.

Jaso,

I was just wondering with your electric motor, did you put a mount on with it? Did you also install it yourself? Put a deposit down on a nice little Stessl which has floors and a deck, so next move is getting a leccy for it, priced some in the US and just wondering how hard it is to install them yourself,

cheers

Narra