Lbg Rainbow Runner

Yeeros

Hi Guys and Gals

I enjoy looking at the pics up here from all with their catches and i noticed a lot of new guys talking about boats and boats etc etc.

To those that know me i'm a dedicated LBG fisho and love my rock fishing with a passion. I wanted to show you guys my catch from the weekend that surprised the hell out of me and a lot of my mates.

It was caught of a rock ledge very close to Sydney and was caught on a live bait set wide.

Caught on 15kg and didn't up too much of a fight on 15kg and 7kg drag. But the catch was rewarding due to the rarity of getting something like this in our neck of the woods. And to do it from my beloved stones makes it all the better.

Please don't ask me the exact ledge, it wouldn't matter anyway as these fish are travellers, whats more important for the newbies is knowing what ledge to fish when.

I just wanted to show some of the newer guys that with the right know how and practise what can be done from the shore.

Enjoy the pic.

post-2054-126925680259_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeeros

Nice catch, more importantly did you eat it and did it taste and good??

It didn't put up as much fight as a king about the same size Ray, only went about as hard as a 70cm king or so and they kick a bit but come up pretty quick.

Lighthouse it tasted really good, very nice meat i must say, firmist meat i ever filleted which made it very easy. Meat had a nice pinky reddy tinge to it as well but cooked up super white and flakey!

Good old yakka was the bait.

Well done mate thats a rare LBG catch

The water is so warm off the coast this year anything is possible and you proved it. Im a fellow LBG fisherman and your right you dont need a boat to catch quality fish off the rocks the fish come to you

well done ,the boys told me in the arvo .i still think you could have gone harder on the first hook up .you worry to much about your balls .

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Mate i like my balls way too much, i was running 10kg of drag on that thing and the thing was over 8ft long, 40cm wide at the head and over 100kg at point blank range! What is it with me hooking BIG sharks!

Hey mate that leader i had on i was very impressed with! It stood up to all that time in the sharks mouth and only popped when i busted to overstrike at about 15kg and held on and shook the line to get th shark to bite off.

I put it on the BG and i got 3 king on it, throw back, 67 and 70cm and i think it was what done the trick with the hook ups.

Looked up those lures as well, best i could find is $15 and they look HOTTER on the net than in real life lolol.

Good to see you again mate, will try and do it again soon :)

Might head to where the longtails might be for a day this weekend............................

mate congrats ,

whats that you that caught that a at avoca rocks we were ther in the arv0

cheers bangus

Hey Bangus, Next time PM the other raider - most tell you roughly where they were

and will share a lot more info if you ask nicely in a PM

Yeeros - Nice Rainbow runner! catching a fish not normal to the area is always fun,

I didnt even know they got that big, on the tv shows I've only seen small ones caught for live bait

If a king is a sedan, the rainbow runner must be the sports coupe version,

they look sleeker and sportier than a king

Did it taste much like a kingie?

Jason

Edited by Burley King

Hey Bangus, Next time PM the other raider - most tell you roughly where they were

and will share a lot more info if you ask nicely in a PM

Yeeros - Nice Rainbow runner! catching a fish not normal to the area is always fun,

I didnt even know they got that big, on the tv shows I've only seen small ones caught for live bait

If a king is a sedan, the rainbow runner must be the sports coupe version,

they look sleeker and sportier than a king

Did it taste much like a kingie?

Jason

Nothing like a kingie Jason, more like a spaniard really.

Gday,

I wanted to post a report about last weekend regarding another rare catch of the rocks. The only thing is that I didnt bring my camera, I will be getting the photos of a mate hopefully this weekend. My mate caught a 1.2 mtr Hairtail on a half pilly just before sunrise.

Will post photos asap

Until then...

Nice catch Yeeros :thumbup: .

Iam also a landbased fisho and only caught rainbow runners up North.

Great to see a rare capture of the rocks in an around Sydney

Thats for all the effort we put into our fishing. :1fishing1:

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Nick

YEEROS, i was only talking to a mate on Sunday about them, had to look it up to see one. Apparently they were quite common aroung the sydney area in the 80s, obviously fished out. Congrats on the catch and a beautiful fish too!

Edited by finin

They are more common than you think...when the water warms up like this year them and other northern tropical fish turn up...

this was a fluke as Spryrou caught it....

Whatever you criminal!

You doing any fishing this weekend. I'll be fishing that spot that jack fishes at a lot on Saturday. I reckon there might be some reds and kings around B)

lol