No Transmission

Dhutchy

Hi Raiders, my marine Radio, a GME GX 294, doesn't seem to be transmitting. I have spoken with GME and discovered that they no longer make mikes for the GX294 or the GX558. So I need a new radio, should I purchase 27 Mhz or VHF? What are the pro's & cons , would only be using it in enclosed waters or close off shore.

The current 27 Mhz model is the GX 300 which sells for $154.90 . The VHF version , GX 600 is $249.00.

Many thanks

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps

Im pretty sure those mics connect with a clear RJ telephone style connector behind that rubber grommet.

If you have some IT people at work, they might have a crimper and the right size connectors. If you can still see the colour code they might be able replace the connector for you. It would take them 5 mins and might be worth a try ?

Note the GME will have a smaller connector than a normal computer network cable.

Im most cases VHF would give you extra range, but it is getting very congested on busy days around Sydney.

If you were happy with 27meg then stick with it. I dont beleive there is any pending (written) plans for the rescue groups to stop monitoring it in NSW. There is plenty of rumours around though !

If going 27meg I would get the GME.

I noticed that Uniden have some new models out that are meant to be pretty waterproof + the microphone also has a small speaker in it for receiving.

If going VHF I'd probably buy a Icom radio which is dearer than the GME.

GME would be my 2nd or 3rd choice.

If you do change to a VHF you will need a new antenna ($70-$100)

To use VHF legally you are meant to have a operators certificate of proficancy as well (small amount of study or do a course, pass the test, pay a small fee and get issued a piece of paper valid for life)

cheers

Rod

Hey Fishingrod (what a great callsign), thanks for your comments they all make good sense. I do have access to some IT types - but as the unit is approaching seven years of age, I reckon I might just upgrade to the 27Meg version.

Thanks very much

Dhutchy

To use VHF legally you are meant to have a operators certificate of proficancy as well (small amount of study or do a course, pass the test, pay a small fee and get issued a piece of paper valid for life)

cheers

Rod

I've spoken to the water police a couple of times and they have informed me that recreation fishermen that use VHF for safety reasons only don't need a license...so don't let that steer you away from getting one Dhutchy..but i guess its a good idea to get a license as it teaches you a lot of safety issues..

I've spoken to the water police a couple of times and they have informed me that recreation fishermen that use VHF for safety reasons only don't need a license...so don't let that steer you away from getting one Dhutchy..but i guess its a good idea to get a license as it teaches you a lot of safety issues..

Please don't think I'm saying you're wrong but I would like to know more myself. My understanding is that you would still need a licence to use the VHF for recreation safety which is an ongoing a pre-planned process, but don't need a licence for emergency calls. There is a difference. For example requesting a weather report or asking a mate about sea conditions is a safety issue but not an emergency. Checking in and out when going outside the heads is safety but not an emergency. I can't think of examples right now but you get my drift. I would have thought a licence is pretty important although it shouldn't put anyone off anyway. I make a mention of this because I'm considering getting a licence myself and have been tossing up whether or not it's necessary. Maybe I should have opened a new thread.

Cheers

This pretty much sums it up for all the doubters out there:

"Australia's small boat owners were today warned by the Australian Communications Authority (ACA) that they must hold a certificate of proficiency if they are using a VHF marine radio"

Read more at: http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1003

This site has further information to help confirm the correct requirements:

http://www.amc.edu.au/omc

(you can also download the handbook here, its a 5meg pdf file)

.... but don't need a licence for emergency calls ....

This is almost true ? ! ? !

There is no law preventing a vessel in distress from using any means at its disposal to attract attention, make known its position and obtain help.

cheers

Rod

Hey pinta_vay_pirates, eddie and fishingrod, thanks for your responses. I reckon if i was going to get a VHF system, getting accredited and proficient should be part of the exercise. Its kinda pointless having the device and not being able to use it properly. But as my boat is only 5 metres in length, and as my kids aged 4 & 6 are usually on board I only go enclosed waters and close offshore.

Given that, I will probably go for the 27 meg option - save the money and wait until more serious off shoring is an option before I go the VHF.

Thanks again for your contributions to this thread

Rgds

Dhutchy

Dhutchy,

there is a 294 in the swap and sell

by achjimmy

maybe good for parts ??

Thanks Rooster and the rest of you guys - but I have decided an upgrade is timely. I have gone out and bought the 27meg GME. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet, because I have been a bit busy. Now I am wondering if should just bite the bullet and opt for overkill and go for the more powerful VHF version

Rgds

Dhutchy

Thanks Rooster and the rest of you guys - but I have decided an upgrade is timely. I have gone out and bought the 27meg GME. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet, because I have been a bit busy. Now I am wondering if should just bite the bullet and opt for overkill and go for the more powerful VHF version

Rgds

Dhutchy

An overkill would be both. 27mhz for casual chit chat and VHF for more formal and serious calls. Also make sure you get the antennas tuned (SWR)as or after you install them, otherwise your transmission may be limited dramatically.

Good luck and enjoy.

Eddie