Finally Back In The Winners Circle

mii11x

hi raiders,

The last few weeks have been a bit rough having my other (fun) car stolen, then a bundle with police assistance :ranting2: over the towing of my vehicle when found cost me around 1000, my results in fishing have also been as rough.

Thought id go out and try catch some of those larger squid at cronulla on monday night. Got some smaller ones which i kept for bait, on the way home stopped at the wonnie top have a sp flick, saw a massive jew on the surface, amongst all the tailor busting up the surface. Flick flick, no interest. Caught a tailor and in a moment of stupidity pulled out a 1/6 jig head with 2/0 hook(the largest i had with me) and sent it out. Well the jewie noticed the distraught tailor and came straight over, it swam next too my bait bumping it with its head on the way past.....then came up from behind it, its going to get it surely, dont know how ill land it but its going to take it. It got to about 6 inches from the bait, inspected it some more then swam away. Sort of glad the jewie didnt want this as i was only armed with a 2500 tierra on a tcurve light rod and 6lb braid. Maybe the shakes from my hands scared it off lol.

Returned tue evening bout the same stage of the tide armed with heavier gear (live fibre rod and shimano baitrunner). There were heaps of tailor, i mean heaps, the water was like a spa bath.....is this the night???? Flicked for a tailor to use as bait which ddnt take too long. Got one easily and sent him out as live bait. No signs on the surface of the jewie though and i was starting to think it wasnt around anymore.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the reel goes. Then Stops. I pick the rod up, engage main drag and strike hard. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz its off again. I immediately run to the other side of the bridge where there is a landing spot on low tide. Im sure thats the one i saw the other night. I start my retrieve and it came pretty easily after those two long runs. It had a third run after it came to the surface, but it was subdued rather easily and just came straight in.

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO can i get a woot woot, can i get a woot woot. Measured at 86cm, my pb. Weighed at approximately 5kg cleaned, gutted and all the rest. It means though now i have to catch larger than that. Taken me a little over a year to land one that size, plenty of smaller ones to 70cm but no larger. Finally i have a jewie worth bragging about :biggrin2:

Thanks for listenting guys hope you enjoyed the story as much as i do when i read your posts

mick

post-10641-126972863132_thumb.jpg

post-10641-126972954273_thumb.jpg

hi raiders,

The last few weeks have been a bit rough having my other (fun) car stolen, then a bundle with police assistance :ranting2: over the towing of my vehicle when found cost me around 1000, my results in fishing have also been as rough.

Thought id go out and try catch some of those larger squid at cronulla on monday night. Got some smaller ones which i kept for bait, on the way home stopped at the wonnie top have a sp flick, saw a massive jew on the surface, amongst all the tailor busting up the surface. Flick flick, no interest. Caught a tailor and in a moment of stupidity pulled out a 1/6 jig head with 2/0 hook(the largest i had with me) and sent it out. Well the jewie noticed the distraught tailor and came straight over, it swam next too my bait bumping it with its head on the way past.....then came up from behind it, its going to get it surely, dont know how ill land it but its going to take it. It got to about 6 inches from the bait, inspected it some more then swam away. Sort of glad the jewie didnt want this as i was only armed with a 2500 tierra on a tcurve light rod and 6lb braid. Maybe the shakes from my hands scared it off lol.

Returned tue evening bout the same stage of the tide armed with heavier gear (live fibre rod and shimano baitrunner). There were heaps of tailor, i mean heaps, the water was like a spa bath.....is this the night???? Flicked for a tailor to use as bait which ddnt take too long. Got one easily and sent him out as live bait. No signs on the surface of the jewie though and i was starting to think it wasnt around anymore.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the reel goes. Then Stops. I pick the rod up, engage main drag and strike hard. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz its off again. I immediately run to the other side of the bridge where there is a landing spot on low tide. Im sure thats the one i saw the other night. I start my retrieve and it came pretty easily after those two long runs. It had a third run after it came to the surface, but it was subdued rather easily and just came straight in.

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO can i get a woot woot, can i get a woot woot. Measured at 86cm, my pb. Weighed at approximately 5kg cleaned, gutted and all the rest. It means though now i have to catch larger than that. Taken me a little over a year to land one that size, plenty of smaller ones to 70cm but no larger. Finally i have a jewie worth bragging about :biggrin2:

Thanks for listenting guys hope you enjoyed the story as much as i do when i read your posts

mick

Awesome catch.

mate just curiouse, where is wonnie tops at.

congrats on your pb jew mate.nice fish.i got my pb lure jew last week.awesome feeling isnt it.well done.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

thanks johnny, it sure does feel great, havnt stopped smiling really lol. curious mate what size was yours, and what gear were u using? i lure fish for them too, just wanting to know if the gear i use is adequate for size????? well done on yours too

cheers

mick

Great catch and a great read :thumbup:

Do you normally spin plastics or metals to catch the tailor? Tailor and their love for the arse-end of my plastics drives me nuts!

They are a pain in the arse really, funny how they never go for the cheapie ones we buy for $2 a pack lol. I was using a shallow diving hard body, bout 40mm in length

Congrats

Now try a mid sized popper in red and white. Fire it out and bloop it on the top then let it sit for several seconds before blooping it again. slow dont over pull the rod. Or use a diving lure that suspends in the water. Throw it out bring it to get it down then work it like the popper but below the surface. Stick the live bait out as well to cover all options.

Have fun

Kingpig