Stockton This Weekend Just Need Some Pointers On How To Spot Gutters

fishhntr

haha I also need some tuning up on this! From what I have learned you need to look at where the waves break and reform, and where they reform quicker indicates a deeper gutter? Also look for rips ie areas where the water is darker and not as many (if any) waves are breaking there.

A gutter is a channel where the water runs after the waves break. Usually the waves will break on a sand bar off the beach. The waves then roll in across the deeper channel or gutter. If the surf is big there will be plenty of whitewater over the gutter. If you watch the whitewater or foam you will see which way it is going. It will go towards the end of the beach either left or right. This movement of water is what is called a rip.

The gutters are usaully a bit darker as the water is deeper.

You cast your bait into the gutter. If the rip is running left to right then you would cast to the left so your bait would drift to the right, otherwise you will be walking down the beach following your bait.

You don't necessarily need to cast a long way as some of the best bites will come almost at your feet as the fish feed on pippies & worms at the waters edge.

Hope this helps.

Hi Mate

While beach fishing try to always cast into the blue/green water it is the deeper parts of the beach ie: Holes, gutters and rips.

The white water on the beach is the shallower parts ie: sand bars ans sand flats.

The best way to spot holes and gutters is to find a high veiwing piont that over looks the beach from a distance its easier to spot holes and gutters :1yikes:

"The best way to spot holes and gutters is to find a high veiwing piont that over looks the beach from a distance its easier to spot holes and gutters "

X2, if your at stockton in your 4wd then go for a trip up the dunes and you will be amazed at the view, you may not even need to look at the waves for the gutters because from that height you could see the gutters just by the darker waters. Also remember to park your 4wd a fair way up the beach as the tide has a tendancy to creep up the beach a long way and the last thing you want is your beast buried in salt water.

Have fun!

"The best way to spot holes and gutters is to find a high veiwing piont that over looks the beach from a distance its easier to spot holes and gutters "

X2, if your at stockton in your 4wd then go for a trip up the dunes and you will be amazed at the view, you may not even need to look at the waves for the gutters because from that height you could see the gutters just by the darker waters. Also remember to park your 4wd a fair way up the beach as the tide has a tendancy to creep up the beach a long way and the last thing you want is your beast buried in salt water.

Have fun!

yeah mate will do

ive learnt the hard way about the tide

i turn around and you cant see my tyres lucky it is raised and no salt on the body or motor

Hi all,

sometime back, there was a thread that had some photos of gutters and how to spot them.

I think Beach Angler and Ray R had some good replies and info about them.

I'll do a brief search for it.

Edit: Here you go:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=41185

(Thanks to Beach Angler and Ray for pointing out the gutters)

Edited by tevoro

Hi all,

sometime back, there was a thread that had some photos of gutters and how to spot them.

I think Beach Angler and Ray R had some good replies and info about them.

I'll do a brief search for it.

Edit: Here you go:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=41185

(Thanks to Beach Angler and Ray for pointing out the gutters)

man thats some great images there showed me exactly what i was looking for thanks