New Outfit For The Stones

autocad

i've just recently gotten back into a few sessions on the stones after a few years of getting onto the light breaming scene.

I need to upgrade some of my gear and was wondering what new is out there to match up with my 12f ugly stick 5-10kg rod? Price wise i would say anything under $350 and would need to hold a decent amount of 20lb mono. Any recommendations?

Also, would you recommend using say 30lb braid? i've never used braid off the stones.

cheers Autocad

If you're spinning then I quite like the Stradic (maybe 4000 or 6000 size depending on how much line you want). They've got most of the features of the expensive reels only with a smaller number of bearings, while being significantly cheaper. If bait fishing then I'd have a look at the new baitrunners, I think they'd fit the bill quite nicely.

As for braid off the stones, the only problem is you have far less abrasion resistance, so if that's likely to be a big problem then good mono is the way to go. But that all depends on where you fish, what you're fishing for and how you're fishing...

i've just recently gotten back into a few sessions on the stones after a few years of getting onto the light breaming scene.

I need to upgrade some of my gear and was wondering what new is out there to match up with my 12f ugly stick 5-10kg rod? Price wise i would say anything under $350 and would need to hold a decent amount of 20lb mono. Any recommendations?

Also, would you recommend using say 30lb braid? i've never used braid off the stones.

cheers Autocad

Hi Autocad,

It really depends what exactly you'll be doing off the rocks (i.e. spinning, baiting both). Off the rocks I usually have two rods on the go.

11 foot penn spinfisher with a penn slammer 760L (if using float or bait)

12 foot UglyStik Gold with a seido 10000 for spinning (the seido was stolen, now i'm using a shimano twin power 6000)

For that price range, i'm sure you can get a Saragosa 8000 or sustain 6000 (abit more pricey)..

For spinning, i don't use anything else but braid (with a mono leader), in saying that i dont think i've got any reels with mono on it

I'm a shimano guy, so i'm sure some other members can recommend other brands.

Cheers

Mark

cheers guys..

i'll be bait fishing mostly with this rod. As I like to use a lighter setup for spinning.

How do you find hookup rates with the braid? Also, how do you find the wear on the braid with a large star sinker?

The Stradic looks the goods at this point. I would think a 6000 would be the go. How does it compare to a 560 slammer?

cheers Autocad

cheers guys..

i'll be bait fishing mostly with this rod. As I like to use a lighter setup for spinning.

How do you find hookup rates with the braid? Also, how do you find the wear on the braid with a large star sinker?

The Stradic looks the goods at this point. I would think a 6000 would be the go. How does it compare to a 560 slammer?

cheers Autocad

i don't see much of a difference in terms of hookups with braid/mono when bait fishing. I guess you've just got that stretch when you go mono.

The stradic is a good reel, but preference wise i prefer the saragosa or sustain.. each to their own i guess

Don't forget you'll have to budget an extra 50-80 bucks more for braid =)

i don't see much of a difference in terms of hookups with braid/mono when bait fishing. I guess you've just got that stretch when you go mono.

The stradic is a good reel, but preference wise i prefer the saragosa or sustain.. each to their own i guess

Don't forget you'll have to budget an extra 50-80 bucks more for braid =)

what size saragosa would you recommend. The 5000 + 8000 are the same weight whereas the 600 is heavier??? I don't get it.. If the 8000 is lighter than the 6000 I would get the 8000

what size saragosa would you recommend. The 5000 + 8000 are the same weight whereas the 600 is heavier??? I don't get it.. If the 8000 is lighter than the 6000 I would get the 8000

To be honest, the saragosa is abit of a jigging reel. For that price range, i'd opt for the sustain 6000.

The sustain 6000 has a retrieve per crank of 107 and 13kg of drag where as the saragosa 6000 has a retrieve rate of 91cm per crank and 12kg of drag.

Dont get me wrong, both are great reels but i'd rather the sustain for spinning than the saragosa.

I use braid for spinning tuf line seems to handle the rocks better than anything else i also use briad for bait fishing and on the beach

as for reels if you are going to do some spinning the saragosa is to slow gear wise great for jigging personaly i agree the with disturbed about the sustain but i would get the 8000

you mentioned that your budget was under 350 the emblem pro is a great reel cast from the beach or rocks also very light wait friends have flogged theirs on blues and spanish had awesome retrieve speed for spinning metals 132cm also takes a lot of line so if your sticking with mono this will hold it

i use mine for spinning for tailor on the rocks or beach fishng with the kids however my brother has landed a 10 kg spaniard on it and mac tunas around 8 kg if im spinning on the rocks i use my dog fight or stella best thing is you get 2 spools with it so great for having a lighter braid and bigger one for its size it is damn light ,

cheers

Edited by sulla

I would recomend a daiwa saltist 4500,

Will hold around 350m of 30lb braid

6.2:1 retreive ratio

Full metal body so can take some abuse

Great little reel that should come in around 340-400 with braid

Harry

Hazza has put up another good choice i dont have the 4500 but have 6000 yet to give it a really good fogging on big fish however the 6000 weighs nearly the same as my df some things i dont like though mainly the handle itself and the join theres a bit of a gap where the handle goes in but mate i reckon i could dropp it on the rocks and jump up on down on it the body is defianlty heavy duty.

Saltist 4500 has my vote as well. All of the reels mentioned are great reels but I honestly don't think there's a better option than the Saltist. High speed retrieve which makes all the difference for spinning metals and man they're tough!

I got a Salist 4500 i use spinning off the rocks its a great reel but that silver knob that keeps the handle connected onto the body reel keeps on coming loose on me its a pain in the ### and will get lost by falling into the water 1 day

the saltist 4500h seems to be a good option. the weight seems ok as well.

the only issue being that it doesn't come with a spare spool. I would like to have spool with mono and braid, but I think I'll just take the plunge with braid.

what breaking strain do people use? I've always used 20lb mono.

the saltist 4500h seems to be a good option. the weight seems ok as well.

the only issue being that it doesn't come with a spare spool. I would like to have spool with mono and braid, but I think I'll just take the plunge with braid.

what breaking strain do people use? I've always used 20lb mono.

I use 30lb braid, 20 lb is enough to be honest..