Which Weather

Dhutchy

Hiya Raiders, its probably picking nits, but I have just checked the forecasts for tomorrow at the Bureau of Meteorology site by clicking on the useful link above and I have checked Seabreeze by clicking its link. One suggests 10/15 knots of wind and Swell to 2m, while the other is 8 knots and 1.3m waves.

Which is more likely to be on the money, or do you just average it out?

Monday's Schedule from BOM: Monday: Wind: S/SE 10/15 knots.Sea: less than 1 metre. Swell: SE 1 to 2 metres. 17-23

Monday's Schedule from SeaBreeze: ESE/S/SW/E 8knots, 1.3m waves 17-23 cloudy

Regards

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps

Hey Bisso and Cut Loose, thanks for your responses. I have booked marked the site you listed Bisso. It gets worse doesn't it. I often listen to the radio AND I regularly check the WEATHER CHANNEL on Foxtel, which allegedly offers a "current" local snapshot, with radar and all sorts of up to the minute reporting. I have found often that the reports don't match what's on the water or the land for that matter. Recently, when torrential rain was pouring down my street so much so that YANKO Rd, West Pymble was closed, neither the Weather Channel or the NEWS reported any where like "as it was happening"and it wasn't until the next day that the measure of the storm was reported.

Rgds

Dhutchy

I use both BOM and seabreeze, since weather forecasting seems to be the only job you can get wrong 50% of the time and still be employed. If I tried that at work I would be out on my arse!!

Edited by Geoff-

ahhhh just follow the forcast that sounds better or like i have get your self a good quality weather station add all 3 ,bom,seabreeze,willyweather togeather then throw in the weather station and still end up were you started lol , :074:

Hey BFB,dunc333, Geoff, you're right, you're right, you're bloody well right and you have a bloody right to say. Like you Geoff, I use BOM and Seabreeze, but it ticks me off, when both of them are way off the mark. Dunc333, I reckon you might have the right idea - get a whiz bang weather station and use it as well as all other services and you might have a chance of being 50 percent right.

I reckon I just have to chuckle at the irony of hearing sciencetists telling us what the storms are (allegedly) doing on Mars!or being able to impersonate the big bang that started the universe in a machine that spans 27kms and two countries, but we just can't get the weather in Sydney right. Like what else am I going to do..

Regards all

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps.

Edited by Dhutchy

The best weather forecast is to look out the window. It is the only one which is truely accurate.

I agree as long as you are looking out the window of your boat when your a mile out to sea........ personally i find seabreeze are usually on the money and arent over the top on their predictions like bom tend to be... 5 miles outside browns today was like a fish pond.... pretty sure bom was saying 2 metre sea with a half metre on top.....

I use the string barometer:

IF STRING

IS SWAYING IT'S WINDY

IF STRING

STANDS SIDEWAYS IT'S VERY WINDY

IF STRING

IS WET IT'S RAINING

IF STRING

IS DRY IT'S NOT RAINING

IF STRING

IS STIFF IT'S FREEZING

IF STRING

CASTS SHADOW IT'S SUNNY

IF STRING CASTS

NO SHADOW IT'S CLOUDY

IF STRING

IS INVISIBLE IT'S NIGHT

IF STRING

IS SMOKING SHED'S ON FIRE

IF STRING

IS MISSING CHECK BOSS'S BOOTS

:074:

Ross

look at seabreeze and BOM and average them out, BOM always eers on the side of caution by adding a few knots of wind and a foot or 2 onto the seas so keep that in mind... Except in the case of westerlies IE N/W, S/W or a straight westerly, seabreeze almost always gets it wrong, i remember one trip very wide of JB where the forecast was 10kn W when it blew up to 26KN, took 4hrs of punching straight into it to get home, although BOM's forecast was dead on.... Also just to make things more confusing keep in mind if the current is running against the wind, the seas will stand up alot higher than the forecast seas....

Hiya Raiders, its probably picking nits, but I have just checked the forecasts for tomorrow at the Bureau of Meteorology site by clicking on the useful link above and I have checked Seabreeze by clicking its link. One suggests 10/15 knots of wind and Swell to 2m, while the other is 8 knots and 1.3m waves.

Which is more likely to be on the money, or do you just average it out?

Monday's Schedule from BOM: Monday: Wind: S/SE 10/15 knots.Sea: less than 1 metre. Swell: SE 1 to 2 metres. 17-23

Monday's Schedule from SeaBreeze: ESE/S/SW/E 8knots, 1.3m waves 17-23 cloudy

Regards

Dhutchy

Hi Dutchy, After an episode a fortnight ago,I will not trust seabreeze again.

10/15 kt n/e easy at 9 that night,we ventured out by 9.30 it was blowing a 25knoter from s/e

I have huge rubber springs on pick and it pulled us loose in 1/2 hr. The other site I check

is now the main one (willyweather).They are just improving their wind age gear,which will help

all offshore fisho's.

cheers Rick.

Hey Raiders, this is obviously a topic close to all our hearts. Flightmanager gets the :074: :074: :074: Laugh Out Loud award. Thanks for all your all replies.

Maybe the Mods or Admin, could provide the feedback contained in this thread as a gentle query to the folks at Seabreeze.

I have bought some string, booked marked willyweather , will look out the window, check the other sites, and probably still go fishing unless its blowing dogs of chains, or raining cats and dogs.

Rgds Raiders

Dhutchy

• 2 weeks later...

i do'nt know if this will help you out but i use all the sites listed above but seeing is beleaving so the last site i look at is coast watch it's a surfing site with live cams at most beaches that pan sidways and zoom in on all the regular surf breaks

i always look at deewhy as it shows longreef and the bomy between long reef and deewhy

cheers gary

Edited by brickman