A Visit To Tuross

stricko4

I know this report is a bit late but here goes. Last week my brother Steve & I spent 2 days fishing the pristine home waters of Hodgey. Yes we were lucky enough to spend some time down at Tuross & isnt it a beautiful place to spend a few relaxing days. I arrived with the runabout in tow on Monday afternoon. Steve had spent 5 days in Melbourne watching the GP & associated antics & was meeting me at Tuross in the evening. On Ians advice Id booked accommodation right on the water at the lakes entrance & it couldnt have been better. After settling in & unpacking I tied a 30gm halco twisty on & waked down to the lakes entrance & started firing out casts. Having read Ians report on the salmon that had terrorised the area a week before I couldnt resist having a go but alas they seemed to have moved on. I fired out a thousand casts around the lake entrance & the beach but not a single hit.

Shortly after Steve arrived so did Ian & over a couple of amber ales we discussed the plan of attack for the next few days. Ian detailed where to fish the lake, on what tide fazes & using what plastics. Great. Armed with all of that advice we hit the water on Tuesday at the gentlemanly hour of 9am. Out we went in search of the spot where an 89cm flattie had been pulled on Monday morning with Ians assurance there were more for the taking. Well after 3 hours we returned to the boat ramp with the firm belief we need much more practice with said plastics because we hooked nothing but weed. We did have a couple of solid hit but no hook-ups.

Paul

After lunch the plan was to fish the beach for the whiting & bream & maybe a salmon or 2. Using servo pillies & prawns Steves first cast laded a very nice 32cm whiting. His next cast had line peeling off at a rate of knots as soon as it touched the water. A 7 or 8 minute battle on 8lb line saw a 70+cm salmon landed. A first for Steve. From that point on for a 3 hour period we continued to land nice whiting & bream to 34cm as well. We kept enough for dinner but caught plenty more returning them to the water.

post-2119-127070412867_thumb.jpgpost-2119-127070429094_thumb.jpg

Steves first salmon

post-2119-127070415085_thumb.jpgpost-2119-12707043713_thumb.jpg

Dinner

Day 2 saw us on the lake again in search of the big lizards wed seen in so many reports but once again we did no good at all. A few little bream & a 20cm flatties was the sum total. Definitely need more practice with those plastics. Again after lunch we hit the beach but for little result. Isnt it funny how quickly things change. Steve had 1 big rod bending hook-up that ended quite quickly with a frayed leader. No one else was catching anything either so at least we werent alone. I was heading back to the unit when I had the fishermans thought.... just one more cast. I tossed a prawn into the fast moving channel at the lakes entrance only to have it wash up against the rocks on the headland. Seconds later I was onto a good fish which turned out to be my biggest ever bream. Not sure of its actual size but it was around 40cm.

Day 3 was time to head home. Gear was packed & boat hitched up for an uneventful trip home. Many thanks to Hodgey for his hospitality & advice. All we have to do is practice up on our technique & we might have a chance of landing one of the 80cm monster flatties on our next visit.

Edited by kingys what kingys?

Hi guys

SOunds like you had some fun & got into some terrific fish (well done on the PB Breambo!!) Funny how the best laid plans often go astray!! Those flatties will be sitting there even bigger & stronger next time you are there!! :biggrin2:

Terrific that you got time to meet up with The Flattie whisperer ........ very good of him to put you 'onto the spot' where the flatties should have been .... just forgot to tell the flatties! :074:

He'll have to work his magic this weekend for the Pirtek comp!!! :thumbup: (assuming it is still flatties.)

Don't those sambos go?? On light gear, the reel gets a real workout! Fun to fight & land, tho.

CHeerio for now

Roberta

I had a terrific night with you and Steve, with a lot of laughs and the usual fishing banter. I was disappointed that the flatties didn't play the game for you in the lake, and was very relieved to hear about the beach session in the afternoon. Next time I will be a little more prepared and I will organise time off work to spend with you on the water. It was great to finally meet you both and I look forward to catching up with you again on your next trip. :thumbup:

Cheers

Ian

Nice work,

A mate and I have been fishing Tuross a fair bit lately, the bits were slow coming but we still went home with some nice flattie and breams.

It's a damn nice area to spend the day fishing to, you just to to watch out for the shallow waters...lol

He's not called the Flattie Whisperer for nothing. He and Deno know those waters so well it's almost sinful. Sounds like you had a good time and caught a few nice fish into the bargain though. Nothing better than fishing with mates or family.

Cheers, Slinky :thumbup: